Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

I need Washington D.C. help.

Other Talk "Otterville"

I need Washington D.C. help.

Old 12-10-04, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's the one... but it's close to Metro dude It's less than a mile I'd say. We didn't walk - but we could have.

The ride into the city on Metro was about 30 minutes. Still much better than traffic.
Old 12-10-04, 03:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Red Dog
No. Reagan National was formerly known as National. You know - it is the one right next to the Potomac.
I see. Hey man, I'm a west coast kid. Give me a break.
Old 12-10-04, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by RoyalTea
if i catch you standing on the left side of the metro escalators, I'll kick your ass.

Originally Posted by Red Dog
And if you wear an FBI or CIA hat, that goes double.

Old 12-10-04, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

My metro rules I posted about a year or so ago. Hope they help.

Not being a resident of DC, I have no love for the tourists because they have no idea how to be courteous to others. Itís as if they get stupid once they leave their house. Especially when it comes to the metroóand its unwritten common courtesy rules.

So, being the caring guy that I am, I decided to provide the list for those of you planning on visiting DC in the near future. You should print these out for youróand myósake.

Metro Rules (in no particular order)

- When arriving at the Metro Station, park your car between the yellow (or white) lines. No matter what kind of car you drive, itís not good enough to take up more than one spot. If you do take up two spots, on your return donít be surprised to find someone has parked so close to your car you canít open the door. Iíve seen this done and itís hilarious. Also, if you are driving a trailer, park it somewhere else. Rent a car. Spots are hard enough to find without some idiot and their trailer taking up 4 parking spots.

- When purchasing your ticket, do not use the ďSmart TripĒ machine. The ďSmart TripĒ machine is the machine with many buttons. Those buttons will confuse you and you will not know what do to. The only thing you will succeed in doing is standing in front of me like a gump, scratching your head in confusion. Then you will turn to me for help, which I wonít give you because your dumb ass made me miss my train, which is either going to make me late for work or delay my trip home. Just use those machines without all the fancy buttons and weíll all be happy.

-When the train arrives and the doors to the train open, stand to the side and let the people on the train exit BEFORE you attempt to board. Believe me, I will plow my way through you if you stand in my way. Itís the same concept as an elevator. All the people must exit so there is room for those entering. If you donít follow this rule with the elevator, you are an idiot and you should just stay in your house.

-When choosing a seat on the trainóparticularly during rush houródo not take up the whole seat. Or sit on the outside of the seat leaving the inside empty in the hopes that no one will call you on it. They will. You are being an ass when you pull a stunt like this and everyone knows it. Donít pretend that you werenít thinking; when you do shit like this we already know youíre stupid. You are being an ass and you know it, so just donít do it.

-Donít talk to me. I donít give a shit where you are from. Iím wearing headphones for a reason.

-Donít talk loud. You arenít the only one on the train and the other people donít care what you did today or what you are doing tomorrow.

-Don't talk on your cell. No one gives a shit about Sally and the boys.

-If you are sitting on the outside of the seat and someone is on the inside, make sure you move your ass when they inform you that this is their stop. Donít dick around gathering your shit. As a sitter on the outside seat, it is your responsibility to be ready to move at each and every stop.

-When you are taking an escalator either to or from your train, if you arenít moving, STAY TO THE RIGHT. Like traffic in most places, people pass on the left. So, again (and Iím typing this one slower so you will get it), if you arenít moving, stay to your right. Just because you are on vacation doesnít mean the rest of the country is. I need to get to that train to get to work. Or Iím going home after a hard day of work. Either way, stay on the right, stay on the right, stay on the right. And for the love of God, when I get up your ass because you are standing on the left, donít dare give me a dirty look, because I will call your stupid ass on it.

-Also, when exiting or entering the metro-station, do not use the widestóor handicapóentrance gate. The ticket comes out of a different spot and you will only hold everyone up looking for it.

Thatís the rules.

Enjoy your stay.
You abide by these on the metro, you'll be fine.

*note, this doesn't apply to ALL tourists. Just a lot of them.

Last edited by Alien Redrum; 12-10-04 at 08:31 PM.
Old 12-10-04, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DC Driving guide

to go along with the DC Metro rules, here is the DC driving guide.

So you've decided to take a trip to your nation's capital. Well here's a few things you should know that will hopefully help you prepare for your trip.

The DC road grid was laid out by a Frenchman, which explains why locals hate the French, and also explains much about US Foriegn Policy. Within DC proper, the roads are laid out in a grid, with other streets crossing the grid at weird angles, usually through a traffic circle. No one in DC knows how to drive in a traffic circle, and people from the surburbs are worse. Many streets are one way, and making a left turn can require travelling three or four blocks out of your way. Right turns are worse. Right turn on red is allowed, except at intersections that are posted otherwise.
Most intersections are posted otherwise.

Also, within DC we take security seriously! Primarily by shutting down major roads and intersections for no discernable reason.

If your road map of Montgomery County MD is more than a few weeks old, throw it out and buy a new one, it's obsolete. If in Loudon or Fairfax County in Va, and your map is one day old, it's already obsolete.

There is no such thing as a dangerous high speed chase in DC, it's just another chase, usually on the BW Parkway.

All directions start with "The Beltway", which has no beginning and no end, just one continuous loop that locals believe is somehow clarified by an "inner loop" and "outer loop" designation. The inner loop goes clockwise, the outer counterclockwise. This makes no sense to ANYONE outside the Metro Area.

The Metro Area stretches north to south from Southern Pennsylvania to Frederick Virginia, and east to west from the Chesapeake Bay to the Shenandoah River. Also to parts of West Virginia and maybe the Delmarva (DElaware, MAryland, VirginiA peninsula.)

Construction on I-270 is a way of life and a permanent source of scorn and cynical entertainment. It's ironic that it's called an "Interstate" as it runs only from Bethesda to Frederick (unless you consider Montgomery County another state, which some do). Opening in the 60's, it has been torn up and under reconstruction ever since. Also, it has a "Spur" section which is even more confusing.

This is true of the Beltway also. Especially the local intersection known as "the Mixing Bowl" where 4 interstates (95, 295, 395, and 495) come together. It has been under constructon for several years, and will be for several more. Also beware the Wilson Bridge. A new bridge is being built, at a cost of about $8,000,000,000, in the hopes that it can be finished before the old one collapses under the load. The old one, and the new one, are drawbridges. When the bridge is up, traffic stops.

Any mild disturbance in the flow of traffic backs up the Beltway for miles in either direction. Something catastrophic, such as a semi-truck jacknifing on the Legion Bridge, can shut down traffic for 10 miles in each direction, and on all the side roads, in 15 minutes. You may have to detour through Leesburg, Point of Rocks, and Frederick, to get where you are going. Or you can go via Norfolk and the Bay Bridge/Tunnel. Not to be confused with the Bay Bridge.

To avoid these disturbances people listen to WTOP, 1500 AM and 107.7 FM, for the traffic report which runs every 10 minutes. 24 hours/day. Even if they can't avoid the disturbance, they listen to find out what the disturbance is, and in the hope that the person who caused it died screaming in agony.

The minimum acceptable speed on the Beltway is 75. Anything less is a hazard to navigation.

The morning rush hour is from 5 to 11 AM. The evening rush hour is from 1 to 8 PM. The lunch rush is from 11 AM to 1 PM. Friday's rush hour starts Thursday morning, especially during the summer on Route 50 eastbound.

If there is a ball game at the Redskins stadium, there is no point in driving anywhere near PG County.
Tip: Never say PG County to anyone from Mitchellville, Upper Marlboro or Fort Washington, they'll blow a blood vessel in their neck and go into a seizure.

If you run the red light, be sure to smile for the $100 "picture" you will receive courtesy of DMV. However, if you don't go as soon as the light turns green, you will get cussed out in 382 languages, none of them English. If you actually stop at a yellow light, you will be rear-ended and shot at.

Rain causes an immediate 50 point drop of IQ in drivers. Snow causes an immediate 100 point drop in IQ and a rush to the local supermarket for toilet paper, bread and milk. IF it might snow, schools will be closed. If it is already snowing then the bus will pick up the children and they will immediately CLOSE the schools after 8 inches of snow has fallen. All parents must leave work upon arrival to pick up their children.

All unexplained sights are explained by the phrase, "Oh, we're near Takoma Park."

If someone actually has their turn signal on they are, by definition, a tourist.

All old ladies in Buicks have the right of way near or in Leisure World.

Many roads mysteriously change their names as you cross intersections. Don't ask why, no one knows or cares.

If asking directions in Arlington, Langley Park, Wheaton or Adams Morgan, you must know how to speak Spanish. In Annandale and Seven Corners a Cambodian, Korean or Vietnamese dialect will come in handy. If on Dupont Circle, Capitol Hill or U Street, a gay dialect helps. If you stop to ask directions in Southeast... well, just don't.

A taxi ride across town will cost you $12.50. A taxi ride two blocks will cost you 16.75 (it's a zone thing, you wouldn't understand).

Traveling south out of DC on Interstate 395/95 is the most dangerous, scariest thing you will ever do. There is nothing more frightening than seven lanes of traffic cruising along at 75 mph, BUMPER TO BUMPER. It's not speeding, it's NASCAR time, let's DRAFT!!!

The open lane for passing on all interstates is the far right lane because no self-respecting local would ever be caught driving in the "slow" lane. Unofficially, both shoulders are fair game also.

The far left lanes on all interstates are official "chat" lanes reserved for drivers who wish to talk on their cell phones.
Note: All mini-vans have priority clearance to use the far left at whatever speed the driver feels most comfortable multitasking in (it's not a mini-van, it's a bullet on wheels with a TV).

If it's 30 degrees, it's Orioles' opening day. If it's 100 degrees, it's the 'Skins opening day. If the humidity is 90+ and the temperature is 90+, then it's May,June,July,August and sometimes September.

NEVER ask a native Washingtonian for directions. We don't know street names and will tell you to turn left where Woodies (Woodward and Lothrop) used to be. If the landmark in question was standing last week, it may not be there now.

NEVER,EVER leave town the Thursday or Friday of a three-day weekend. Leave on Wednesday and take Tuesday off to come back; otherwise, you'll arrive at the same time when you left a day early to beat the traffic.

Avoid I-66 at any time. Just listen to the traffic report ONCE and it is the same every day. The sun is in your face in the morning, and for your return trip, it's once again blinding you in the afternoon.

Avoid Rt. 7, (Leesburg Pike or any other name it changes to) at all times as well. Same story as above except you have no breaks because on this road, there are people who commute from West Virginia.

Of course you could take the subway, known locally as The Metro. Remember that either the Orange or Red line will be shut down or single tracked due to an accident. Unless both are shut down or single tracked. This is most likely to happen during rush hour. The escalators rarely work, the elevators even more rarely. However, the trains are very clean, kept that way by highly motivated police who will not hesitate to arrest a 12 year old for eating a french fry.

Have fun in D.C.!
Old 12-11-04, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 586 Likes on 369 Posts
Originally Posted by cliffzig
To avoid these disturbances people listen to WTOP, 1500 AM and 107.7 FM, for the traffic report which runs every 10 minutes. 24 hours/day. Even if they can't avoid the disturbance, they listen to find out what the disturbance is, and in the hope that the person who caused it died screaming in agony.
Lisa Baden's voice gives me the hot. I can't explain it.
Old 01-20-05, 10:17 AM
Banned

Anyone know the official site for the D.C. Metro system?
Old 01-20-05, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Green Jello
Anyone know the official site for the D.C. Metro system?
http://www.wmata.com/

You couldn't pay me to drive in DC.
Old 01-20-05, 10:37 AM
Banned

Thanks.

For anyone else who can help, I'm still looking for affordable lodging close to the mall area that is near a Metro station.
Old 01-20-05, 10:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by RoyalTea
if i catch you standing on the left side of the metro escalators, I'll kick your ass.
Sounds great. I'll be easy to spot. I'm 6'5" 290 lbs.
Old 01-20-05, 10:58 AM
Banned

Any feedback on this place?

Comfort Inn
6205 Annapolis Road
Landover Hills, MD 20784

I'm not cheap, but I hate getting really nice hotel rooms since they are just a place to sleep. As long as it is clean and convenient, I'm happy. I'd rather blow tons of money on fine dining and other things.
Old 01-20-05, 11:22 AM

If you park at any Metro garage, you will need a Smartcard to pay and exit the garage. Parking is free on weekends.

Here's the parking info for metro

http://www.wmata.com/metrorail/daily-parking.cfm
Old 01-20-05, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 315 Likes on 256 Posts
Any feedback on this place?

Comfort Inn
6205 Annapolis Road
Landover Hills, MD 20784

I'm not cheap, but I hate getting really nice hotel rooms since they are just a place to sleep. As long as it is clean and convenient, I'm happy. I'd rather blow tons of money on fine dining and other things.

Seeing the town, my first inclination is to say that it is probably not a nice area.
Old 01-20-05, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Last time I was in the area, I stayed at the Doubletree in Rockville. It's literally a couple of dozen feet from the Twinbrook (red line) Metro stop.

http://www.doubletreerockville.com/

It was inexpensive, but this was over Christmas when the hotel was practically empty. I have no idea what their regular rates are.
Old 01-20-05, 12:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JasonF
Last time I was in the area, I stayed at the Doubletree in Rockville. It's literally a couple of dozen feet from the Twinbrook (red line) Metro stop.

http://www.doubletreerockville.com/

It was inexpensive, but this was over Christmas when the hotel was practically empty. I have no idea what their regular rates are.
That sounds great, but they want over $200 a night for when I want to be there in April.
Old 01-20-05, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 315 Likes on 256 Posts
Once again, I recommend Crystal City.
Old 01-20-05, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd stay closer. Much easier to be within walking distance of the Metro...I've always stayed in either DC or Georgetown (for a fairly cheap rate, I might add).
Old 01-20-05, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That sounds great, but they want over $200 a night for when I want to be there in April.
Ouch. I think I payed something like $89 a night. But like I said, it was Christmas and most of the rooms were empty, so they were probably glad to get that much from me.
Old 01-20-05, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts
Why not just stay at the big white building in DC, I don't know the address
ok, I looked it up.
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue
Old 01-20-05, 03:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Canadian Bacon
Why not just stay at the big white building in DC, I don't know the address
ok, I looked it up.
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue
I would stay there, but rumor has it that the Lincoln Bedroom is haunted.
Old 01-20-05, 04:30 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rockville is a nice semi-commercial, semi-residential area. For some reason, I forget the name of the main street that runs north-south through the middle of Rockville (I just remember it was #355), and if you stay there, there should be a lot of dining/shopping nearby, but most of the shopping is regular stores you can find in any suburb anywhere.

If you can't find a reasonable hotel in Rockville, you could try Bethesda (depending on the hotel, it might be more expensive than staying in Rockville), which has better dining, IMO... more "standalone" restaurants as opposed to chains, and a great amount of variety. Or perhaps Gaithersburg, which is farther out from DC than Bethesda and Rockville, but still near a Metro.
Old 01-20-05, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Static Cling
Rockville is a nice semi-commercial, semi-residential area. For some reason, I forget the name of the main street that runs north-south through the middle of Rockville (I just remember it was #355), and if you stay there, there should be a lot of dining/shopping nearby, but most of the shopping is regular stores you can find in any suburb anywhere.

If you can't find a reasonable hotel in Rockville, you could try Bethesda (depending on the hotel, it might be more expensive than staying in Rockville), which has better dining, IMO... more "standalone" restaurants as opposed to chains, and a great amount of variety. Or perhaps Gaithersburg, which is farther out from DC than Bethesda and Rockville, but still near a Metro.
Route 355 is known in Rockville as (wait for it) Rockville Pike. Further south, it becomes Wsiconsin Avenue, and from there, goes straight through Bethesda and into Georgetown. Further north, it has a few other names (I think it's Hungerford Drive for a few miles, and then it becomes Frederick Road). But everyone in Maryland calls it 355 -- the Rockville Pike portion also gets called Rockville Pike and the Wisconsin Avenue part gets called Wisconsin Avenue, but say 355 and everyone will know what you mean.
Old 01-23-05, 02:04 PM
Banned

Ok guys. I've narrowed the search down to two:

1. Quality Suites Shady Grove
3 Research Ct.
Rockville, MD 20850

2. Best Western Capital Beltway
5910 Pricess Garden Pkwy.
Lanham, MD 20706

Apparantly, both are within one mile of a Metro stop and they offer free shuttles to them. Any opinions on these?
Old 01-23-05, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 586 Likes on 369 Posts
Stay in Rockville. Princess Garden Parkway in Lanham is not the world's greatest neighborhood. It isn't "Da Hood" by any stretch, but not at all a great area either.
Old 01-23-05, 02:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JustinS
Stay in Rockville. Princess Garden Parkway in Lanham is not the world's greatest neighborhood. It isn't "Da Hood" by any stretch, but not at all a great area either.
The Quality Suites in Rockville is a 3 star hotel and the Best Western in Lanham is 2 stars.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.