Forget it - Return the thing!
66.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

XM / Sirius thread [merged]

Old 12-09-04, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
XM / Sirius thread

A spinoff from the Opie & Anthony thread, but what are the real differences between XM and Sirius, other than sports? (XM has baseball, and Sirius has football (and every game of the NCAA tournament) As far as music goes, it seems that both have similar lineups, commercial free. As far as sports goes, XM has baseball, while Sirius has football, NHL (if they ever play), NBA, and the NCAA men's tournament. As far as talk goes, I'd have to give the edge to Sirius, with it's NPR Talk and Public Radio International (PRI) (and yes, I listen to NPR quite a bit now).

Do the talk stations on XM and Sirius carry commercials?

When driving, does your signal ever cut out, or is the signal pretty strong where you are (for whichever system you have)?

Let me cut to the chase, Sirius is offering a lifetime subscription for $500 through the end of December. I really didn’t want to purchase the equipment and sign up at this time, but the idea of having satellite radio without monthly fees is highly appealing to me. My question is, do you believe that Sirius will be around in four or five years (which is what I consider to be the “break even” point for me)?

Back to the sports standpoint, I saw on morningstar was that Sirius will have every game of the men’s NCAA basketball championship in March / April at no extra cost to subscribers, for ’05, ’06, and ’07, with no blackouts.
Old 12-09-04, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this site may help

http://www.xm-vs-sirius.com/
Old 12-09-04, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

4 or 5 years? Yeah it should definitely be around. Figure Stern has a 3 year (IIRC) contract with them, so they should be around that long atleast. Of course if all the rumors I hear are true about how they don't like to pay their employees maybe Stern will jump ship early.

Every talk show on satellite needs to have commercial breaks (or similar breaks). Talk show hosts need time to regroup and eat/shit/etc. during their 3+ hour shifts. The commercial breaks should in no way be close to what they are on terrestial radio. O&A have only 3 or 4 minute breaks usually. SOmetimes a little more, sometimes a bit less. Stern will most likely have the same deal...unless he has gotten used to his 18 min breaks he has now on regular radio.

I have always thought from the beginning that XM will last longer than Sirius. Sirius just seemed flawed from the get go IMO (programming decisions aside).
Old 12-09-04, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
The Sirius lifetime sub is for the lifetime of the HARDWARE, not your [or their] lifetime. Granted, at 500 bucks and 13/month, that's 38+ months, but still--are you going to be happy with your sub and the hardware it's on for more than 38 months? And that's if it doesn't break.
They also offer yearly discounts, but I'm not sure if they require a cancellation fee if you cancel [XM didn't.]
Talk stations on both do have commercials; sometimes the talk stations are merely audio feeds of the tv channel, sometimes they're sat-specific or syndicated hosted shows. Hosts gotta pee too
On XM at least, the music channels are totally commercial free [barring station ID and 'what's on next' things].
The other major difference between the two is music. XM has deeper playlists, whereas Sirius has more repetition and shallower playlists.
XM's got more subscribers, and their stock is doing better.
I think Sirius offers more types of hardware; that could be good or bad. My wife and I both have an XM Roady, and love em, especially for the price [160 bucks for both, one was used, and we got 2 home kits, one's at home, one's in my office].

My signal is pretty good in most cases, except:
* in my garage
* under my parking deck
* for about 1.5 seconds going under a covered bridge down a long treelined road
* in my office [antenna is inside, aimed through the thick glass, basically at a bunch of trees] when it's really rainy outside, my signal is intermittent throughout lunchtime [I also don't think I'm aiming in the right direction, but it's the only window I have.]

If you like basketball, Stern, or football, it sounds like Sirius would be the way to go. Those are non-issues for me, I went XM: hardware, monthly fee, deeper playlists with more variety. I like some of hte talk channels, but I can get NPR on my FM dial so that's not a big deal.
XM now has XM Public Radio, XMPR, with shows like:
The Bob Edwards Show
Here & Now
Sounds Eclectic
Soundcheck
Leonard Lopate
Whad'Ya Know?
This American Life

Both XM and Sirious should offer a free online trial.
Old 12-09-04, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 79 Likes on 40 Posts
Before you buy a lifetime subscription make sure you find out if the subscription is tied to you or the receiver you buy. You don't want to be stuck with this year's model 3 or 4 years down the line.

I haven't heard XM but from what I've read, the difference in the musc they play is that XM tends to play deeper (more obscure) cuts, while Sirius plays more things that you've heard before.

I have Sirius, and I get great reception in my car, though it does cut out for a second or 2 sometimes when I go under a bridge.

One other thing that Sirius has that XM doesn't is a gay talk channel. This might not seem like much of a selling point to you, but they do have a "sex & relationships" show on there that is incredibly funny, and has a quite a big straight following.
Old 12-09-04, 02:22 PM

Santa (mom) is getting me a Delphi XM MyFi http://www.xmradio.com/myfi/email_servlet.jsp for Christmas and this will be my first time with XM. I have thought about it since they first started, but didn't want to pay $10 a month for just a home (in the beginning) unit or an adapter for the car. Now with this thingy, I can take it with me wherever I go and can tune the station to my FM at home / work / car or whatever.

I kind of wish that they had a one year prepay, instead of the minimum being 2 years.

Chris
Old 12-09-04, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
That MyFi looks excellent . I think you'll enjoy it, I'd like to get one but it's out of financial range right now.
At first I didn't want to pay 10 bucks/month for radio, but when you compare XM [or even Sirius] to AM/FM, there's really no comparison.
Old 12-09-04, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dtcarson
The Sirius lifetime sub is for the lifetime of the HARDWARE, not your [or their] lifetime. ...
Ah, you’re right, it is definitely the life of the tuner, not your lifetime. If your tuner (or car) is stolen, if the tuner breaks and cannot be repaired, etc, you are out of luck.

I think I’ll pass at this time on the lifetime subscription and focus my attention back on Plan A:

Plan A: Plug a feed from my TV satellite (DirecTV) into my home computer, I have a Radeon All-in-Wonder. Record music from the music stations (audio only), break them apart into songs, rip them to MP3s, and come up with a few disks of 75 or so songs each, then play them in shuffle mode on my car radio. Of course, I’d need a head unit capable of playing MP3s, so in the meantime just record them as .cda’s.

Edit: Forgot to mention, this isn't the first time "limited time" lifetime offer that Sirius has had, they had one that expired on August 31 for the same deal ($499 for lifetime of the tuner).

Last edited by Heat; 12-09-04 at 03:01 PM.
Old 12-09-04, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, I saw the commercial for the MyFi and thought, "Finally they came out with a portable one!" but then saw the price was $350. It sounds like a cool little device, but they didn't even tack on an mp3 player even though it has the ability to record for 5 hours. Definitely a first generation device that I would avoid.
Old 12-09-04, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For anyone thinking about this subject you should sign up to listen to both on thier websites. They both provide a 3 day subscription for free. Here are some of the things I found out before I jumped in.

1. Sirius gives you a free month if you buy a 1 year sub, and three months free for a 2 year sub.

2. Sirius has more of the music I listen to in each format. XM plays alot of stuff I have never heard of and didn't care to hear again. I was listening to liquid metal and a listener called in and told the dj and the band that was in the studio that their music was s**t and the band started ripping the caller saying he needs to do some sexual stuff to his mother.

3. XM is less monthly, but you also can't get the free month for paying yearly, you have to pay extra for "premium" content like O&A, and you have to pay extra for streaming the music over the internet.

4. I love football and talk radio, hate baseball. So for football and talk radio, sirius is the only way to go.

5. There are rumors that apple and sirius are working together to deliver early next year an ipod that plays and records the sirius music streams as well as your own personal music.
Old 12-09-04, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have sirius, and got it because I heard the signal is better in my area. I am in no way disappointed (overall) with it. However, I really love Old Time Comedies. They have a Old Time Radio station, but it is almost exclusively dramas, mysteries, etc. They chop up a lot of Old Time Comedies for the Comedy station, but it isn't very satisfying. When my year is up, I would be surprised to give XM a try.

The football doesn't mean squat to me. I watch it, not listen to it. The NBA is okay, but not something I need. If I am going to listen to sports, I will ususally just listen to ESPN Radio. The March Madness might be good, but it wouldn't sway me.

Howard Stern, etc. doesn't sway me either. I recognize that I am in a minority in my tastes, but so be it.
Old 12-09-04, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
i have xm
compared to.. and xm was much better suited for me

dont care about nfl football (if I did, i could keep up with the games easy enough one any of the many sports stations)
dont care about the nba.. (although from my understanding, neither of them have this deal anymore.. you get coverage through the sports networks that both carry)

college football, basket, etc... xm has 3 conferences (Big12, ACC, and PAC10) so far.. and they have deals in the works with more.. that includes football, basketball, baseball, etc.... sirius has a handful of individual teams

xm has the nascar stations.. dont care anything about that

xm has opie and anthony.. just started listing to this lately.. these guys are funny

sirius will have howard stern, eventually.. but isnt that still a year away??

xm has more music, more commercial free music, and better talk

xm has *real* stations.. where sirius has alot of *sirius stations*
also.. sirius shares channels for the same stations.. so not all stations are always available.. xm keeps all stations on seperate channels

and xm has better hardware.. not to mention a cheaper base price.. even if you pay for a premium channel.. youre still below sirius price

and my signal is always perfect.. always have the full 3 bars

Last edited by twikoff; 12-09-04 at 11:33 PM.
Old 12-09-04, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk God

cant really go wrong with either..
cant really go right with either..

both will have things you want, that the other doesnt have..

as mentioned, xm has a strangle hold on the market with the much larger subscriber base.. and they are growing quicker.. more hifi manufacturers are getting into the xm market.. xm has deals with many car manufacturers to come stock in the vehicles, and xm has worked deals with rent a car places to be installed in their cars... because of xm's higher subscriber numbers, they are able to make more moves to keep their customers happy and keep them the leader.. but sirius is also forced to takes risks to try to continue to compete, which keeps they inevating as well.
Old 12-10-04, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Twikoff, I agree about the part where you can't go wrong. Either service is better than over the air radio with all the commercials and censorship.

A couple things you posted were wrong though. I just got sirius from the same deal I posted in hot deals forum. Sirius gives the equipment away at least once a year. I got my receiver and my car adaptor for free.

XM according to their website has 2 million subs and Sirius has 900,000 and growing fast. I have followed Sirius a bit for over a year because of their stock. One of the things I read about is how they are growing fast and XM has leveled off on new subs.

I don't have any problems with my hardware, it works great even in the deck park tunnel here in phoenix. There is only one place I lose signal and that is on the 60 under the new bridges they are building.

I would suggest that anyone interested in sat radio, and that should be everyone , check out the content for each one. The content is the difference here and how much you love your sat radio will likely depend on how much content you like on each one. Just research it and get the one that suits you best.
Old 12-10-04, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk God

on the size/growth
i think part of the difference.. is that with where sirius is at.. their milestones are lower.. so they are declaring their totals more often

sirius releases new numbers everytime they hit a new 100k marker.. xm doesnt release their until they hit a 500k marker..

i think sirius is pretty safe.. i cant seem them leaving the market.. because there needs to be competition... I just cant see how they will keep up, when xm seems to be cornering the market with the moves to be put stock in new automobiles manufactured and such... sirius really has missed the boat so far by not getting some deals done there.

part of this is name recognition... many people dont say 'satellite radio'... they just refer to it all as XM Radio, as a generic term. alot of these people dont even realize that sirius exist.. Its the same general idea behind tivo/replaytv. tivo got out first and became the *kleenex* generic name that everyone refers to a dvr by, so it will help them always secure the market lead.

Last edited by twikoff; 12-10-04 at 06:42 AM.
Old 12-10-04, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Actually, Sirius has more support from teh car companies than XM does. Xm really has GM and Toyota as it's main dealership partners but Sirius has many others such as Ford, Audi, Chrysler, BMW, Dodge, Jeep, Mini, Volvo, Nissan, Mercedes and many more. Toyota is also not exclusive to Xm, they will be dealer options on like 9 or 10 models next year. They are also partnered with companies like Hertz and Winnebago. Here is a link to their partner page.

Sirius partners

Sirius is a safe bet, so is XM. Neither of these companies is going anywhere. XM initially was cheaper because they had commercials in between songs, but when sirius started coming on strong they had to change their format. It's yet to be seen which pricing model will win out, charge less for basic and more for "premium content or charge a couple bucks more and get everything. Either way
Old 12-10-04, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Shammer, I live here in Phoenix as well, so I was glad ta hear ya say the reception is pretty strong. I am leaning towards Sirius as I am a football and Stern fan, but haven't made the jump yet.

On the Sirius website, I was unable to find the answer to this question. Maybe you can help. The Plug and Play module that Sirius has looks like the way to go, as it can be moved from portable player, to home, car, etc. However, the website also advertises antennas and such. So..to move the head unit from device to device (home, car, etc) do ya need a bunch of antennas? Is there one "built in" that is powerful enough to pick up the signal? And last...does it have a headphone jack? (As I am sure I won't be able to listen to Howard at work.)
Old 12-10-04, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You need an ant. in each place, but it isn't as bad as it sounds.
Old 12-10-04, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

kvr is right. you need an antenna for each dock but the docks come with it. It's not that bad. The plug and play is the way to go. The one I got was the audiovox pnp2 which is the older model. The new ones look cool, like little PDAs. the car kit even comes with an rf modulator built in but you will want to plug it directly in using the rca plugs. It just sounds better.
Old 12-10-04, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk God

damn this stuff changes fast.. i guess my info was a little out of dates.. but so is yours

Manufacturer System Offered
Acura XM Radio
Audi XM Radio, Sirius
BMW Sirius
Buick XM Radio
Cadillac XM Radio
Chevrolet XM Radio
Chrysler Sirius
Dodge Sirius
Ford Sirius
GMC XM Radio
Honda XM Radio
Hummer XM Radio
Hyundai NA
Infiniti XM Radio, Sirius
Isuzu XM Radio
Jaguar Sirius
Jeep Sirius
Kia NA
Land Rover Sirius
Lexus XM Radio
Lincoln Sirius
Mazda Sirius
Mercedes-Benz Sirius
Mercury Sirius
Mini Sirius
Mitsubishi NA
Nissan XM Radio, Sirius
Oldsmobile XM Radio
Pontiac XM Radio
Porsche NA
Saab XM Radio
Saturn XM Radio
Scion XM Radio
Subaru NA
Suzuki NA
Toyota XM Radio
Volkswagen XM Radio, Sirius
Volvo Sirius
Old 12-10-04, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Sirius will be installed in Toyota cars starting i believe 2005.
Old 12-10-04, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 294 Likes on 170 Posts
I'm listening to my XM Roady2 in my office right now. I got a free home kit with the purchase, and the Roady2 was $129 (and that included an antenna, tape adapter, cigarette lighter adapter, about 4 ways to mount it and it has a built-in FM modulator.)

I went with XM strictly based on the subscription price and I couldn't be happier.
Old 12-12-04, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts
Several questions:

I bought an XM commander back in May and have loved every minute of it. I just bought a new car this weekend & they gave me a Delphi CD Audio System as a thank-you.

Instead of moving my commander to my new vehicle, I figured I would sell the Commander to a friend & pick up a Delphi SkyFi 1 or 2 to use not only in the car but also in the new Audio System for home use.

I have looked at the 1 & 2 at the XM website but the only difference appears to be a different look and the ability to record a half hour of programming. Is that it or am I missing anything? It also mentions Tune-select on the 2 which my Commander could do. Does the 1 not have Tune-select?

I also seen people mention problems regarding the 2 in using the "boombox" on other sites. Anyone heard anything about this or have the CD player with the 1 or 2?

Finally...I am looking also at price. The Commander cost me a total of around $250 to buy & have it installed. My local shop said that it would be around $300 for the 1 & $350 or so for the 2. They said you need some extra items that came with the Commander but not with the 1 or 2. What is the best price on these? The shop said that I could bring the products in and have them installed for around $75 to $100. I am not handy so I will not attempt to install this in my new car myself and would prefer it done professionally. I want it to look good but get the best price at the same time.

Any other help or suggestions would be great! Thanks!
Old 12-12-04, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

brianluvdvd:

I'd get the SkyFi 2. I understand it has a much better display, which is reason enough. The display on the 1 sucks., and I am seriously thinking of upgrading. It also has a sports/stock ticker, and the 30 minute buffer you mentioned.

I just saw the Skyfi 2 on the xm site the other day for $99 after rebate: http://www.xmradio.com/skyfi2/index.jsp . Probably won't beat that.
Old 12-12-04, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I own stock in both, so i dont care as long as you get one

Seriously, my Acura TL came with XM built in and I love it. Apart from everything mentioned, they also have a channel dedicated to only weather and traffic in Atlanta (or a bunch of other cities that may or may not apply to you) and its really nice. Repeats uptodate info every couple of minutes, saved my a$$ from nasty ATL traffic more than once.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.