Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Woman Gets Threatening Letter After Hanging Up On Telemarketer

Old 12-07-04, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Woman Gets Threatening Letter After Hanging Up On Telemarketer

http://www.nbc4.tv/news/3977271/deta...112072004&ts=H

El Paso Police Investigating Phone Call

UPDATED: 11:35 AM EST December 7, 2004

A Detroit-area woman received a threatening letter in the mail after hanging up on a telemarketer calling from Texas, according to Detroit TV station WDIV.

Jill Beyer, of Waterford Township, Mich., said she received the letter about one week after she refused to donate money in a recent call from a telemarketer.

"He wanted a donation for the veterans' association, which the veterans don't get that much of that money. That's why I wouldn't donate to him," Beyer said.

Beyer (pictured, left) said the man refused to take no for an answer so she hung up the phone.

"I slammed the phone very hard," Beyer said.

The letter arrived postmarked from El Paso, Texas. The first lines read,

"Jill Beyer,

Before you are rude to another telemarketer, you should keep in mind that he or she has your phone number and your address.

Many of them live in your own state and most don't give a (expletive)!

So, Ms. Beyer, the next time a telemarketer calls and you don't want to be bothered, a simple "not interested" will do.

Your son or daughter or next-door neighbor's daughter could very well be a telemarketer. A handicapped, wheelchair-bound person could be a telemarketer. A biker or ex-con is more likely to be a telemarketer. You really, really shouldn't (expletive) with them!

As they say in the telemarketing industry, "Have a good day Ms. Beyer!"

"It makes me nervous. Obviously he's not playing with a full deck and even my kids are nervous," Beyer said.

El Paso police are reportedly taking the threat seriously and are searching for the person who sent the letter.

Note to self. Always buy anything when a telemarketer calls!

Chris
Old 12-07-04, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk God

I will continue to hang up on them. I trust that my cache of weapons is larger than theirs.
Old 12-07-04, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by mrpayroll
Beyer (pictured, left) said the man refused to take no for an answer so she hung up the phone.
And now he knows what she looks like...
Old 12-07-04, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by MonkeyG
And now he knows what she looks like...
Good point.

Chris
Old 12-07-04, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I hate those people! I used to get calls for the Chicago Police Veterans all the time. Now, I love cops, and I know they do difficult and dangerous work, so I'm all for supporting them, but the company the Veterans Association hires is increidbly rude and keeps most of the money. So I won't give to them. The guys who call you get so belligerent.

I haven't gotten one of those calls in a few years, so maybe the police wised up and dumped that company.
Old 12-07-04, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Your son or daughter or next-door neighbor's daughter could very well be a telemarketer. A handicapped, wheelchair-bound person could be a telemarketer. A biker or ex-con is more likely to be a telemarketer. You really, really shouldn't (expletive) with them!
Love the play on emotions...

Old 12-07-04, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I rarely hang up on them, in fact I just keep talking with them to see how long I can keep them on line without buying anything. Just lots of stupid questions:

What color does that credit card come in? Oh, I really don't like (whatever color it is), do you have something with my high school mascot on it?

Which is further east, Tampa Bay Florida or Atlanta Georgia? (when talking about resorts or whatever)

What's the interest rate? (say it's 15%) That's a little too high, I'll get the credit card if you drop the rate to 8%. What, you can't do that? Why not? Let me talk to a manager right now, I think that 15% is just way too high and I demand a lower rate. I don't care what the 800 number is, I want you to transfer me this instant!

Stuff like that. I remember keeping a firefighter on the phone for 15 minutes one time, debating whether or not carbon monoxide detectors should be required.
Old 12-07-04, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A biker or ex-con is more likely to be a telemarketer. You really, really shouldn't (expletive) with them!
I would much rather an ex-con call me than an inmate. I have seen where some call centers employ convicts (can't remember which show). Those bastards have too much time on their hands.
Old 12-07-04, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like it when young female telemarketers try calling me. I always try and get them to do phone sex with me. Usually they just hang up, but once I actually got a girl to do it. Either way I win!
Old 12-07-04, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

http://www.geocities.com/pcypages/telemark.html
10. When they ask "How are you today?" Tell them! "I'm so glad you asked because no one these days seems to care, and I have all these problems; my arthritis is acting up, my eyelashes are sore, my dog just died..."

9. If they say they're John Doe from XYZ Company, ask them to spell their name. Then ask them to spell the company name. Then ask them where it is located. Continue asking them personal questions or questions about their company for as long as necessary.

8. Cry out in surprise, "Judy! Is that you? Oh my God! Judy, how have you been?" Hopefully, this will give Judy a few brief moments of pause as she tries to figure out where the h-l she could know you from.

7. If MCI calls trying to get you to sign up for the Family and Friends Plan, reply, in as SINISTER a voice as you can, "I don't have any friends ....would you be my friend?"

6. If they want to loan you money, tell them you just filed for bankruptcy and you could sure use some money.

5. Tell the telemarketer you are on "home incarceration" and ask if they could bring you a case of beer and some chips.

4. After the telemarketer gives their spiel, ask him/her to marry you. When they get all flustered, tell them that you could not just give your credit card number to a complete stranger.

3. Tell the telemarketer you are busy at the moment and ask them if they will give you their HOME phone number so you can call them back. When the telemarketer explains that they cannot give out their HOME number, you say "I guess you don't want anyone bothering you at home, right?" The telemarketer will agree and you say, "Now you know how I feel!" Say good bye - and Hang up.

2. Insist that the caller is really your buddy Leon, playing a joke. "Come on Leon, cut it out! Seriously, Leon, how's your momma?"

1. And first and foremost: Tell them to talk VERY SLOWLY, because you want to write EVERY WORD down
Old 12-07-04, 01:38 PM
Moderator Emeritus

So Do Not Call lists can save lives. Sweet.
Old 12-07-04, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I work in inbound customer service and have wanted to write a letter like this so many times. People are stupid assholes, especally over the phone.
Old 12-07-04, 01:51 PM

Crazy...But I will continue haning up. Or sometimes I like to just rest the phone on the side and let them continue talking until they hang up.
Old 12-07-04, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The guy wouldn't take no for an answer and now he's upset ? Sounds like a simpel "not interested" didn't work.
Old 12-07-04, 01:57 PM

I used to work in an inbound call center and even those people who called me to order something could be complete twats at times, and though it crossed my mind that they deserved a letter in the mail, I'd never do it.
Old 12-07-04, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Depending on how sadistic I'm feeling when they call, I do anything from asking them a whole lot of stupid questions to asking them to repeat EVERYTHING they say. If I'm busy then I just say, "sorry, I'm not interested but thanks for calling me". Hey, I had to do telemarketing once, too.
Old 12-07-04, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by sn9ke_eyes
The guy wouldn't take no for an answer and now he's upset ? Sounds like a simpel "not interested" didn't work.
I got a call like this once, they claimed to be representing the Iowa State Police Association. Asked me for money for an orphans' fund. I told them that if they wanted to send me some literature about the cause, I'd be happy to look it over. He persisted and wanted a donation right then and there. I politely declined. As I started to hang up the phone, I heard him say "Well, you should be ashamed of yourself!" I asked "What did you just say?" He said "You heard me." So I verified his name (first name only, "John") and his organization, and thanked him and hung up. I then called the local state police post, and they immediately knew who I was talking about. The "Iowa State Police Association" is in NO WAY affiliated with the state police. For every dollar they collect, roughly 1% goes to the charity they claim to represent.
Old 12-07-04, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm pretty polite for the most part. I understand that they're doing their job. I let them give their speech, then I tell them no thank you. If they do the persistent selling thing and keep trying, I hang up. You only get one polite "no" from me.

I did get a little testy with Discover the other day. They have called EVERY SINGLE WEEK for the last month or so trying to get me to buy the protection plan for my card. GRR!! I finally told the lady that I was not interested, and to please put a note on my account telling everyone that I didn't want to be called every week about this service.

X
Old 12-07-04, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I got a recorded telemarketing message on my cell phone today. I was not pleased to say the least.
Old 12-07-04, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

if a paid solicitor is involved trying to get money for a charity, i just say that i don't support paid solicitors and if i want to donate i'll make a direct donation. They are usually pretty forthcoming about whether they are or not and don't usually say anything but "have a nice night" when I saw that. I'm on the Do Not Call list so it's pretty rare that I get one. I remember one time a few years ago when my dad got a call from a paid solicitor from a Vietnam Veterans association. My Dad is a Vietnam vet and the guy on the line was a real smart ass. My Dad started yelling at him saying "where the hell were you while I was getting shot at over North Vietnam, you little punk!" Needless to say it was funny and kinda scary at the same time
Old 12-07-04, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
here's the problem. saying not interested doesn't work. they keep yacking.
Old 12-07-04, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I generally keep asking them to repeat themselves and act as if I am really confused about what they're selling and that there is some conspiracy going on. I had one guy called "Ethan Hunt" rang me up. My response was "what...the actor?" (Ethan Hawke). He said - "no, we just happen to have the same name" (either being polite or not knowing who the hell I was talking about).

I said that how could he have the same name as such a 'famous' actor, and did he get trouble because of it.

The conversation degenerated into him trying to explain his name for about 4 or 5 minutes before he managed to drag the conversation around (at which point my 'confusion' about his product led down another side track).

He was wanting me to change Telco service providers and I was insisting that the phone company owned my phone number. My logic was that the phone company owned my number and that there were people from the phone company watching me. I kept telling him he needed to speak to them [my existing service provider] to 'buy' the phone number from them. I kept calling the CEO of the company 'Uncle'.

After about 20 minutes of having him repeatedly trying to explain what he was selling, he said he would transfer me to his supervisor who might be able to clear up the confusion. I then hung up and have never heard from them since.
Old 12-07-04, 08:13 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just tell them that I'm either unemployed or dying of cancer. Ohterwise I just hang up.
Old 12-07-04, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I usually just say, "Thank you for your call, I'm not interested...have a nice day" and I hang up. That hasn't failed me yet.
Old 12-08-04, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

"Jill Beyer,

Before you are rude to another telemarketer, you should keep in mind that he or she has your phone number and your address.

Many of them live in your own state and most don't give a (expletive)!

So, Ms. Beyer, the next time a telemarketer calls and you don't want to be bothered, a simple "not interested" will do.

As they say in the telemarketing industry, "Have a good day Ms. Beyer!"
So Danol is in telemarketing now?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.