Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Slightly inappropriate comment by pil0t today

Old 11-29-04, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Slightly inappropriate comment by my pilot today

I was flying back to New York City (LaGuardia) after spending Thanksgiving in the Midwest. A few minutes from landing, the pilot comes over the p.a., and says,

"Ladies and gentleman, out of the left side of the aircraft, you'll see a nice view of Ground Zero."

Now, a few things... does anyone onboard any aircraft want to even think, much less be told by the pilot, about anything having to do with 9/11? And we were right there, right at the tip of southern Manhattan (I've made this trip dozens of times). It just didn't sound right to us. And a "nice" view? No thanks.
Old 11-29-04, 06:29 PM

I can see how it wouldn't seem appropriate. I guess he's one of those that wants to show anybody anything newsworthy to everyone.. something like that though doesn't need to be reminded or explained.
Old 11-29-04, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

everyone was probably looking to see it anyway... inappropiate: probably.. helpful: probably also
Old 11-29-04, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

get over it
Old 11-29-04, 06:44 PM

That seems pretty inappropriate to me. Do you know if anybody said anything to the pilot as you were getting off the plane?

How is that view nice?
Old 11-29-04, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by El Scorcho
get over it
Old 11-29-04, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by El Scorcho
get over it
Thank you for your useless and rude contribution.
Old 11-29-04, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

[shrug]

I'd want to know where it was. If he left off "nice" it would have been more appropriate. But "nice view" is a pretty common phrase.

A comment to the pilot would have been well-received I'm sure. Trust me, pilots know the impact of 9/11 as well as anyone else. Bad choice of words, nothing more.
Old 11-29-04, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's called 'ground zero' - what's the big deal? I'd wanna see it.

Would it have been better if he said - "out the left side you'll see the place where two really tall towers and 6000 living people used to be."? I don't think so.
Old 11-29-04, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

it must of been done out of habit.

it would of been more professional to leave that out and point something else out.
Old 11-29-04, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
If he changed the word "nice" to "good but haunting" would you then approve?

I'll ditto El Scorcho. Stop being overly sensitive, else the world will be a fuck of a place to live in. Not that I'm saying to forget about it, but stop being *that* sensitive.
Old 11-29-04, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Dave7393
Thank you for your useless and rude contribution.
I'll repeat the same thing; get over it.

For starters, "nice" doesn't just mean pleasing or agreeable. One would have to be pretty delusional to think that the pilot intended the word in that way. Yes, he should have used another word but let's not be hypersensitive.

Your plane probably contained many people on their way to NYC for the first time ever or since 9/11. Like it or not, Ground Zero is a tourist attraction, and for extremely easy to comprehend reasons. People want to see it, and the opportunity to get a good view of it from the air is certainly something that many people would want to have, even many New Yorkers who haven't yet had the opportunity.

More than three years have gone by. I think we have long since passed the time where the mention of "Ground Zero" in or near an aircraft is a faux pas.

I know someone who died there. Although he wasn't a loved one, I mourn his passing and was greatly saddened to hear that he was among the missing and later among the confirmed dead. What the pilot said doesn't bother me at all.
Old 11-29-04, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Tours of Alcatraz would be pretty quiet affairs if it were up to Dave - the tour guides wouldn't be allowed to point out much out of respect for all the suffering and sadness... boo hoo. I don't know about you, but I don't get up in the air that often so it's a pretty interesting occasion - I kinda like shit to be pointed out to me so I can look out the window and go "fuck, I can't see it. do you see it? I can't... where is it? shit."
Old 11-29-04, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
Tours of Alcatraz would be pretty quiet affairs if it were up to Dave - the tour guides wouldn't be allowed to point out much out of respect for all the suffering and sadness... boo hoo.
Oh, right... the site of the biggest mass murder in U.S. history is an appropriate comparison to Alcatraz (?). Think twice before writing next time.

And I'm not losing sleep over it. I said, "slightly inappropriate," or maybe you missed that.
Old 11-29-04, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Dave7393
Oh, right... the site of the biggest mass murder in U.S. history is an appropriate comparison to Alcatraz (?). Think twice before writing next time.

And I'm not losing sleep over it. I said, "slightly inappropriate," or maybe you missed that.

I think it is a good comparison... There are tours of Alcatraz, Holocoust(sp) sites in Europe, Pearl Harbor, and now NYC... People are curious about tradegies like that.. Hell, the #1 grossing movie of all time is Titanic, a movie about a horrible tragic sea accident... The pilot probably shouldn't have said nice view, but he was correct to point it out.. and nice is not really the wrong word to use... nice was an adjective of view describing the view, not the situation that occurred 3 years ago
Old 11-29-04, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

ok, you don't like Alcatraz? How about the Vietnam Veteran's Memorial Wall? Should that be removed from maps? What about the Huang He River Flood which killed 3.7 million people? Want to pretend Rwanda doesn't exist since 800k people were murdered there in 94? Or what about the earthquake in Kobe 10 years ago that killed 6000 people? Is it inappropriate to bring up Kobe if you're flying over it?

You're being pretty caustic anyway with your 'rude and useless' comment to scorcho and now telling me to think before writing etc... might want to keep the temper in check. I'm just trying to point out that it's just like any other tragic event and that people want to see it for whatever reason (to mourn or take pictures or have something to talk about or to pray) so it's completely appropriate for a pilot to point out where ground zero is.
Old 11-29-04, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by j123vt_99
nice was an adjective of view describing the view, not the situation that occurred 3 years ago
yeah - as in - here's a good opportunity to see it if you want to look.
Old 11-29-04, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

You should have told him:

"Dude, we're not there yet."
Old 11-29-04, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

It's been over 3 years since 9/11.

We can deal with peculiar or nebulous remarks.

And we should also make note that people often comment about something tragic much differently than they would have wanted it to be understood.

Have a sack of peanuts on me.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 11-29-04 at 07:49 PM.
Old 11-29-04, 07:48 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by j123vt_99
I think it is a good comparison... There are tours of Alcatraz, Holocoust(sp) sites in Europe, Pearl Harbor, and now NYC... People are curious about tradegies like that.. Hell, the #1 grossing movie of all time is Titanic, a movie about a horrible tragic sea accident... The pilot probably shouldn't have said nice view, but he was correct to point it out.. and nice is not really the wrong word to use... nice was an adjective of view describing the view, not the situation that occurred 3 years ago
hey Dave7393, j123vt_99 just described the tragedy that was 9/11 as "the situation"!!!
Old 11-29-04, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by DarkestPhoenix
You should have told him:

"Dude, we're not there yet."
SLAAAP

It took me a moment, but I got the reference.
Old 11-29-04, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another vote for "get over it"...
Old 11-29-04, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

by reading the thread title I was expecting to hear a pilot make a pass at one of the stewardesses or tell a racist joke or something.
Old 11-29-04, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

By now it should be slightly obvious that everyone thinks you are making a mountain out of a molehill.
Old 11-29-04, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i don't think it's a big deal.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.