Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Slightly inappropriate comment by pil0t today

Old 11-30-04, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
It was appropriate for him to point out the site.

The phrasing was odd.

I won't say "get over it", though, that's a bit harsh. I see your POV, it just isn't mine.
Old 11-30-04, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree that "get over it" is too harsh. What if the guy lost someone in 9/11?

I can certainly understand how someone would not be bothered by the pilot's comment, but saying to the OP "get over it" honestly is much more inappropriate than the pilot's comment.
Old 11-30-04, 10:45 AM
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: Across the Hudson [email protected]: Hoboken. LET'S GO YANKS!
Re: Slightly inappropriate comment by my pilot today

Originally posted by Dave7393
I was flying back to New York City (LaGuardia) after spending Thanksgiving in the Midwest. A few minutes from landing, the pilot comes over the p.a., and says,

"Ladies and gentleman, out of the left side of the aircraft, you'll see a nice view of Ground Zero."

Now, a few things... does anyone onboard any aircraft want to even think, much less be told by the pilot, about anything having to do with 9/11? And we were right there, right at the tip of southern Manhattan (I've made this trip dozens of times). It just didn't sound right to us. And a "nice" view? No thanks.
I think it can't hurt to mention Ground Zero, but the word 'nice' was inappropiate IMO. "Ladies and gentleman, out of the left side of the aircraft, you'll see a view of Ground Zero."

I do not agree with the 'get over it' people, but it's not a big deal for me.
Old 11-30-04, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Goldblum
Saying to the OP "get over it" honestly is much more inappropriate than the pilot's comment.
Get Over It to the power of Get Over It.
Old 11-30-04, 01:02 PM
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: Across the Hudson [email protected]: Hoboken. LET'S GO YANKS!
Originally posted by DarkestPhoenix
Get Over It to the power of Get Over It.
Equals Get it?
Old 11-30-04, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
Would you rather the pilot say "We're not there yet"?
Old 11-30-04, 01:18 PM
Banned

I dont agree with the announcing of it - however as its stands a good chance that the pilot is not a NY'er, he was probably being the habitual tour guide, and I wouldnt begrudge him for it, as he was unfortunately trying to be as "PC" as he could.

Not having a flair for (and a general repulsion to) politicial correctness myself, I probably would have said something like "ladies and gentlemen, we will now observe a moment of silence as we fly near to ground zero, where wretched, useless, waste-of-life sand-ni&&ers caused a horrific, dishonarable, and tragic loss of life."

deal with it or not. Being a NY'er, thats what I think everytime I see the site.
Old 11-30-04, 01:24 PM
Suspended

Get on it.
Old 11-30-04, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
wow.

my pilots are usually asleep...
Old 11-30-04, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

pil0t hardly ever posts though.
Old 11-30-04, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

One day later I've had time to reflect on my comment...

... and it still stands.

America is turning into one giant pussified country because everyone tries to find something offensive in situations where there is clearly none present.

Day by day, less intention is paid to intent and context and tone and even more attention is paid to twisting and contorting words so that they better fit some sort of agenda that you can get all butt-hurt about and whine about.

The pilot was pointing out Ground Zero from the air to tourists. Nothing more, nothing less.

Yeah, my "get over it" comment may be caustic but it really is the best course of action for you and anyone else who finds the comment offensive.
Old 11-30-04, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by El Scorcho
America is turning into one giant pussified country because everyone tries to find something offensive in situations where there is clearly none present.

Day by day, less intention is paid to intent and context and tone and even more attention is paid to twisting and contorting words so that they better fit some sort of agenda that you can get all butt-hurt about and whine about.
Sadly, this is very true.
Old 11-30-04, 02:59 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
I'm with the "get over it" crowd.

And I agree that El Scorcho is always rude and caustic. That's what we love about that little guy.
Old 11-30-04, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just hope one day I can tour Europe, and get the chance to catch a nice glimpse of Auschwitz.

Auschwitz... get over it.
Old 11-30-04, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

One day later I've had time to reflect on my comment...

... and it still stands.

The pilot was pointing out Ground Zero from the air to tourists. Nothing more, nothing less.

Yeah, my "get over it" comment may be caustic but it really is the best course of action for you and anyone else who finds the comment offensive.
This time, not a useless nor rude reply from you-- thank you for explaining yourself in more than 3 words.

And again... I said slightly inappropriate. It was never this huge big deal that some people thought I made of it. I never said I wanted to speak to the pilot, write to the airline, etc. I'm glad this generated some interest, either way.

You stand by your original remarks, and I stand by mine; on an airplane full of people, most of them New Yorkers returning from Thanksgiving, the pilot's comments were slightly out of line. I have my opinion, you have yours. And I never had anything to "get over"... but thank you for your sensitivity, anyway.

Last edited by Dave7393; 11-30-04 at 03:55 PM.
Old 11-30-04, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

For something that's slightly inappropriate and that didn't really bother you all that much -- why come to a forum and post a thread about it?

I stubbed my toe while I was getting out of the shower this morning and it slightly pissed me off. Guess I should start a thread
Old 11-30-04, 04:02 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
For something that's slightly inappropriate and that didn't really bother you all that much -- why come to a forum and post a thread about it?

I stubbed my toe while I was getting out of the shower this morning and it slightly pissed me off. Guess I should start a thread
Hmmm, good idea...
Old 11-30-04, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm sure that topic's been covered here before. We have millions and millions of worthless threads... get over it.
Old 11-30-04, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm game, I did the same thing this morn and drew blood.
Old 11-30-04, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I can't get behind that.
Old 11-30-04, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That really goes against the nature of a forum whose primary purpose is the airing of important, existential grievances -- like people who take much too long to urinate.
Old 11-30-04, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by dork

That really goes against the nature of a forum whose primary purpose is the airing of important, existential grievances, like people who take much too long to urinate.

I think you and I are the only two people who have the slightest clue what you're talking about.
Old 11-30-04, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think you and I are the only two people who have the slightest clue what you're talking about.
Woohoo, that's twice my usual average!
Old 11-30-04, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hmm. why did I come to the forum? Because I thought it was interesting-- it was something I'd never heard since 9/11, and I thought other people might want to know. In 24 hours, more than 1,500 people took a look, and it has 5 dozen replies. Good enough answer?

After having made your point time and again, you do seem intent on getting the last word in. I'm patiently awaiting another witty retort.
Old 11-30-04, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You're going to have to wait a while, my witty retorts are few and far between

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.