Reload this Page >

I am about to die...

Other Talk "Otterville"

I am about to die...

Old 11-29-04, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 700 Likes on 506 Posts
Originally posted by Kittydreamer
Also, I know for a fact that you can stack three pillows on top of a sleeping person and it does drown out some of the nose.
Bad kitty... bad!

Old 11-29-04, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by TomOpus
Bad kitty... bad!

If my husband knew half the things I did to him when he was asleep, he'd divorce me on the spot. He's a very sound sleeper and it takes A LOT to wake him up.
Old 11-29-04, 01:31 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by wonderdrug
LMAO!

Try those breathe-right strips? I have no idea.
I'd say give these a go first. If that doesn't work, then try a bullet to the head

Last edited by Fok; 11-29-04 at 01:42 PM.
Old 11-29-04, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
try the strips....but i'd also tape record his atrocious snoring first...and give him the tape with the strips and make him listen to it. Explain that it's nothing personal, but if he doesn't do something you are going to go insane from sleep deprivation and end up hacking him to pieces one night. If you are at a University, they should have a slepp center and he can do a sleep study to determine his problem. Too fucking bad if he doesn't want to wear that mask thing....he needs to be aware of his issue, because it's going to make getting laid the second time awfully difficult.
Old 11-29-04, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

1. take his cellphone while he's sleeping
2. call his own voicemail
3. leave a message of him snoring.
4. ????
5 profit
Old 11-29-04, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I had a roomate one summer that use to eat in his sleep. To complicate this habit, he would eat and wack off in his sleep, and not remember either. He would wake up the next day and accuse me of eating his pretzels. For obvious reasons...I never went near his bag of pretzels...and kept my food far from 'sleep walking' reach.

-pedagogue
Old 11-29-04, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Get a camcorder, record him snoring and then post it on the internet. We can all have a good laugh at his expense, just like the Star Wars kid. It could be a good start to convince him to do something about it.
Old 11-29-04, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by pedagogue
I had a roomate one summer that use to eat in his sleep. To complicate this habit, he would eat and wack off in his sleep, and not remember either. He would wake up the next day and accuse me of eating his pretzels. For obvious reasons...I never went near his bag of pretzels...and kept my food far from 'sleep walking' reach.

-pedagogue
better to be accused of eating his pretzels than wacking him off in the night.
Old 11-29-04, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

-pedagogue

Eww....
Old 11-29-04, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wow pedagogue, you actually grossed out Kittydreamer. Impressive!
Old 11-29-04, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

-pedagogue
Old 11-29-04, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My husband is the loudest snorer ever and he has sleep apnea. He went to the doc and got a machine and now he only snores when he lays flat on his back.

tell him he has sleep apnea and will die if he doesn't get surgery
I think it is a very real possiblility that he has sleep apnea. Basiclly, he can stop breathing while sleeping. This most likely explains his super snores. He doesnt breath for a few seconds before them and his brain jolts to a almost aroused state and forces him to breath. It is not healthy, and although there are not alot of long term studies yet, it can lead to many health problems down the road. Surgery isnt neccesary (nor does it work very well). The best treatment right now is like what kittydreamer's husband uses, a CPAP machiene, which blows a constant stream of air that helps keep his soft pallete from constricting his upper airway. He should see a doctor about being tested for sleep apnea.

Sorry about the long post(I could have made it longer) but not only am I involved in the diagnosis and treatment of OSA, I am also a sufferer.
Old 11-29-04, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My hubby needs to go in for surgery but he's been putting it off for years now. I did schedule him a physical for after the holidays so hopefully the doc will talk some sense into him...

But for now the CPAP machine is all that stands between my husband being alive or dying some horrible death.
Old 11-29-04, 05:45 PM

-pedagogue
That is really nasty.
Old 11-29-04, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My hubby needs to go in for surgery but he's been putting it off for years now. I did schedule him a physical for after the holidays so hopefully the doc will talk some sense into him...

But for now the CPAP machine is all that stands between my husband being alive or dying some horrible death.
Surgery is not the answer. The surgery I think youre thinking of to remove some of the soft palette is rarely succsessful. The tissue will grow back, meaning more surgeries. Ive heard of some people having them yearly. The only surgery that will take care of OSA is a tracheostomy, which is done as a last resort, usually on the morbidly obese. If your husband is having problems, most likely he needs a higher CPAP pressure or BiPAP, which is a combination of two pressures. He will need another sleep study to confirm it.
Old 11-29-04, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Listen to some music with headphones on.
Old 11-29-04, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by uli2000
Surgery is not the answer. The surgery I think youre thinking of to remove some of the soft palette is rarely succsessful. The tissue will grow back, meaning more surgeries. Ive heard of some people having them yearly. The only surgery that will take care of OSA is a tracheostomy, which is done as a last resort, usually on the morbidly obese. If your husband is having problems, most likely he needs a higher CPAP pressure or BiPAP, which is a combination of two pressures. He will need another sleep study to confirm it.
I was thinking of the type of surgery where they pour cement into his nose.

Seriously, he needs to have the pressure turned up on his C-PaP and maybe drop a few pounds, too.

Thanks for the useful information, I'll pass it along to him.
Old 11-30-04, 04:26 AM

to this thread!
Old 11-30-04, 04:46 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am about to die...
This is terrible news. You and your family have my utmost condolences, and you'll be in our prayers. This must be a trying time for you. On the bright side, soon you'll be sipping lemonade with Wallace Shawn, Pauly Shore, and UW student Audrey Seiler, may they R.I.P.
Old 11-30-04, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
pretzels and jerk-ff-juice?

Dude, we are so not there yet.
Old 11-30-04, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sharing a dorm room sucks. You shouldn't have to share something that's alot smaller then a studio. My roomate in the dorms was really bad. He would make me stay up really late on weekdays, making me smoke pot, play video games until the early hours of the morning and all sorts of bad stuff....the nerve of that guy!
Old 11-30-04, 07:26 PM
Suspended

Last night I couldnt sleep, so I cracked open a few beers, I only had three, so I was not going to get drunk.

My anger started to build up because I couldnt sleep.

I looked around to see what I could do to make me feel better about myself.

I saw his laptop sitting on his desk, open, connected to his obnoxious surround sound system he bought at wal-mart, the same sound system that he plays the same fucking ocean avenue song on about 25 times a day on.

So I poured beer on his laptop, on the keyboard, effectively breaking his machine.... without knowing what happened. Granted, if he took it apart, beer will probably dribble out, but my roomate is a dumbass so that won't happen.

Apparently he has some paper due soon that was on his computer, oh well.

I think he is gonna try to send it back to dell. But you're better off taking a piss on your laptop to try to get it to work then dealing with dell customer service.