Reload this Page >

I need a new Vacuum Cleaner

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 11-24-04, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My old 6 yr old Bissell vacumm just died. Made loud nise that scared the crap out of me. I need a new one. I live in an aprtment and have those annoying black marks here and there on the carpet, are there any new kinds of vacumms that double as a steamer, to help me fight the rug spots? Looking to spend about $200. What do you guys recommend in cleaners? Either regular plain old vacuum, or one with some kind of steamer. Thanks for any help otters.
Old 11-24-04, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I recommend one that sucks.....
Old 11-24-04, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

threadcrapper, i'm being serious, and dont want any jokes or sly remarks please. Thank you
Old 11-24-04, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Usually the Hoover Windtunnel line gets decent reccomendations..
Old 11-24-04, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

those Windtunnels really that expensive?
Old 11-24-04, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My wife has this one http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...&s=home-garden and seems to like it a lot. However, she does borrow our friends steam cleaner about once a month for the heavy trafficways.....
Old 11-24-04, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by ILikeDVD
threadcrapper, i'm being serious, and dont want any jokes or sly remarks please. Thank you
Hope that works out for you.
Old 11-24-04, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My advice to you is to spend more than $200.
Old 11-24-04, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Get a Dyson. I got a refurb from Amazon for hella cheap and it works like a charm... better than any vacuum I've ever used. Love it.
Old 11-24-04, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
I have a eureka whirlwind. works great, no bags to have to buy
Old 11-24-04, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

no jokes in otter? should've posted in bargains or something then. this thread sucks.
Old 11-24-04, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Trigger
Get a Dyson. I got a refurb from Amazon for hella cheap and it works like a charm... better than any vacuum I've ever used. Love it.
My co-worker swears by it. Since getting a Dyson, sucking her dog's hair off the carpet is not an issue anymore.
Old 11-24-04, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I suppose that was pretty difficult for her before she got a vacuum.
Old 11-24-04, 08:10 PM

1 word- Oreck
It's great- very light weight, long lasting, and has a great reputation
check it out by going to the website or a local Oreck store.
You can even purchase on an installment plan with no financing-
Highly recommended
Old 11-24-04, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Dyson is the obvious choice if you want to pay for quality. Those things are amazing. They won't steam, though. However, you can buy a spray carpet cleaner that will take care of those spots. The Dyson hype is real. It beats the shit out of any vacuum I've ever used, including the Oreck.

das
Old 11-24-04, 09:25 PM

Hoover is the way to go. No doubt about it. Grandmothers, Mom, & now me have all had hoovers and loved them.

I've tried Eureka's & Dirt Devil's and they just don't compare.

Hoover is built to last.
Old 11-24-04, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by brtcmfn
1 word- Oreck
It's great- very light weight, long lasting, and has a great reputation
check it out by going to the website or a local Oreck store.
You can even purchase on an installment plan with no financing-
Highly recommended
I've heard from more than one person that Oreck's are pieces of complete shit... they break and clog and are total garbage. Don't have any first-hand experince with them though and your testimony is the first positive I've heard about them (aside from their own commercials)

Originally posted by das Monkey
Dyson is the obvious choice if you want to pay for quality. Those things are amazing. They won't steam, though. However, you can buy a spray carpet cleaner that will take care of those spots. The Dyson hype is real. It beats the shit out of any vacuum I've ever used, including the Oreck.

das
I borrowed a new $300 hoover vac and a new hoover steam cleaner vac from my neighbor, vacuumed the living room twice, cleaned with the shampooer/steam vac, vacuumed again, and then tried my new Dyson...

First of all, the two initial vacuumings didn't seem to do anything, cuz once I steam cleaned all these cat-hair bundles appeared all over the place. These were all picked up by hand to make it a fair fight. The third vacuuming didn't yield anything really. Then I hit it with the Dyson and filled the cup... fucking filled it... with dirt. Most amazing thing I've ever seen (in terms of cleaning carpets). I think I paid like 250 or so for mine. Worth every penny.
Old 11-24-04, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My recommendation is to buy a good quality vacuum. The dyson's appear to work well but the cheap plastic bits turned me off, I would concerned about longetivity. I bought a Riccar and it has been solid for the last 4 years, HEPA filter commercial quality fan amazing suction. We also have a newer Miele which is also very nice but better for hard floors (wood, tile, etc.) I have good opinions of Sebo also. Go to a vacuum store and talk to somebody that works on vacuums they will help guide you towards a good performing and reliable brand.

Skip the home grade steam cleaner you can never match the power of the professional truck. You might want a small spot cleaner to tide you over between annual profesional cleanings.
Old 11-25-04, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by cseyer
My recommendation is to buy a good quality vacuum. The dyson's appear to work well but the cheap plastic bits turned me off, I would concerned about longetivity. I bought a Riccar and it has been solid for the last 4 years, HEPA filter commercial quality fan amazing suction. We also have a newer Miele which is also very nice but better for hard floors (wood, tile, etc.) I have good opinions of Sebo also. Go to a vacuum store and talk to somebody that works on vacuums they will help guide you towards a good performing and reliable brand.

Most of my house is hardwood with only one room that is berber (sp), and we bought a Miele. It is, in a word, outstanding. On carpet, even its un-powered brush attachment works substantially better than our Hoover.

There is still at least one company that makes uprights the old fashioned way, with powerful motors and metal parts. I think the brand is Royal.
Old 11-25-04, 12:19 PM

Originally posted by das Monkey
Dyson is the obvious choice if you want to pay for quality. Those things are amazing. They won't steam, though. However, you can buy a spray carpet cleaner that will take care of those spots. The Dyson hype is real.
Old 11-25-04, 06:11 PM

I agree, Dyson is the way to go.

My wife did the carpets twice once day (don't ask) then I gave her the Dyson in the afternoon. She did the carpets again the Dyson picked up an AMAZING amount of dirt and cat hair. I would not have believed it had I not seen it. For the next week we fought over who got to vacuum.

Get a Dyson.
Old 11-25-04, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For the next week we fought over who got to vacuum
gcbrowni: Let me suck!

gcbrowni's wife: No, let me suck!
Old 11-25-04, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Shazam
gcbrowni: Let me suck!

gcbrowni's wife: No, let me suck!
We're not there yet.
Old 11-25-04, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Numanoid
We're not there yet.
4.5/5
Old 11-25-04, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Aside from Dyson, a Miele is another way to go... it's more expensive than even a Dyson I think, but I hear it's awesome.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.