Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Tipping Furniture Delivery Guys?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 11-10-04, 06:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having an (electric) fireplace delivered today. I paid $60 for the delivery and am receiving "free" assembly (normally another $60)

How much to tip? I'm guessing 10 bucks for each guy?
Old 11-10-04, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buy a pizza and give each delivery dude...10 packets of Splenda.
Old 11-10-04, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My partner used to deliver appliances for Lowes, but at his store, they were strictly forbidden from accepting tips from customers or they could be fired if their manager found out. He usually got tips between 5 and 10 dollars , though he never expected one.
Old 11-10-04, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I usually just offer them a coupla beers.....
Old 11-10-04, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Last time I had furniture delivered - took about 30 minutes to bring it up to the apt and assemble. It was 2 guys - gave them $20 total.
Old 11-10-04, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought the title said "tripping"

I now have no interest in this thread.
Old 11-10-04, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

No tipping from me, that is what the delivery charge is for.
Old 11-10-04, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

STOP TIPPING EVERYONE this is INSANE!

Just because someone has a service job, doesnt mean they need to get tipped! Unless you are Donald Trump it is unnecessary to tip everyone god damn person who is DOING THEIR JOB.

In PA the minimum wage for a waiter/waitress is HALF the minimum wage for everyone else. I tip them 15-20% depending on service. I also tip food delivery people who use THEIR own car.

Anything else is excessive.

I didnt tip the guy who delivered my fridge, my washer/dryer, or my furniture.... would you tip the ups guy? jesus frickin christ i hate execessive tipping.
Old 11-10-04, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would throw $10 buck to each one and if it is going to take a while I would put some bottles of water (or whatever) out as well.
Old 11-10-04, 10:32 AM

don't forget to offer them something to drink, regardless of their stand on abortion.
Old 11-10-04, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by jasonr114

Just because someone has a service job, doesnt mean they need to get tipped! Unless you are Donald Trump it is unnecessary to tip everyone god damn person who is DOING THEIR JOB.

In PA the minimum wage for a waiter/waitress is HALF the minimum wage for everyone else. I tip them 15-20% depending on service. I also tip food delivery people who use THEIR own car.

I didnt tip the guy who delivered my fridge, my washer/dryer, or my furniture.... would you tip the ups guy? jesus frickin christ i hate execessive tipping.
Old 11-10-04, 10:43 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Holy shit. Tipping furniture delivery guys? The ones that delivered my new furniture are lucky to still be alive. I had nearly $5K worth of furniture delivered, and some of the old pieces taken to the basement. They put a foot long scratch in my front hardwood floor. They scuffed up every wall they passed by. They didn't bother to assemble the legs to the bed, just sat them there hoping we'd never notice. I'm still waiting for all the damage they did to be fixed. I had all of my halls(brand new house) repainted on their dime, but the guy they had do it did a terrible job. The entry hardwood is going to be totally replaced, but this time we're getting the people who originally installed it to replace it.

I had some appliances delivered. There were supposed to be two delivery people, only one guy showed up. So I had to help deliver my own appliances. I got to take the door off of the refrigerator and help push my oven through the door. That was fun. But hey, at least that delivery was free.

I don't think I could ever see myself tipping a furniture delivery guy.
Old 11-10-04, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Zero dollars and zero cents.
Old 11-10-04, 10:47 AM

Originally posted by Red Dog
Last time I had furniture delivered - took about 30 minutes to bring it up to the apt and assemble. It was 2 guys - gave them $20 total.
Same here. Last weekend, I had a huge desk, return and 2 bookshelves delivered and setup in my den (unused bedroom, actually) in the upstairs of my house.

It was an extremely tight fit getting them up the stairs. They had to remove the hand rail from the stairs and the door to the den, and they still only had about an inch to spare on each side of the desk and return. They managed to get them up the stairs and into the den without scuffing the furniture or the walls.

If they just had to setup the desks in an open area on the 1st floor of my house, I wouldn't have bothered tipping. But I felt they earned it in this case.

My point?
Easy delivery? No tip
Difficult delivery? Tip
Old 11-10-04, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Minor Threat Beat me to it!
Old 11-10-04, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by nevermind
Minor Threat Beat me to it!

Old 11-10-04, 11:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by neiname
No tipping from me, that is what the delivery charge is for.
Old 11-10-04, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Kevin Phillips
My point?
Easy delivery? No tip
Difficult delivery? Tip
I agree...if they are just throwing it in the 1st floor room...thanks, have a nice day. I had 2 major deliveries to the 3rd floor. They also took off the handrails, one door etc etc...they got a tip. Not even a second thought.
Old 11-10-04, 12:34 PM
Admin-MemeCat

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
On a related note, I'm getting a new TV delivered on Sat and I am going to ask the delivery guys if they can help me push the old one upstairs. It's an older TV, one that's basically it's own piece of furniture, so needless to say, it's heavy. How much should I tip? And, no I don't have enough Splenda to make it worth their while.
Old 11-10-04, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If it required complicated assembly or installation, I would probably have some beers or snacks ready.. i want it done well. If they did an exceptional job i would toss down a top. If they were delivering a couch, and there was already a delivery charge, I would probably stiff them.

I once gave the cable guy 12 packs of splenda, and he hooked me up with free HBO and Showtime!
Old 11-10-04, 12:40 PM

Originally posted by jasonr114

I'm the opposite.

"I tip everybody.It's not tipping I believe in, it's over-tipping!"

When I use to deliver pizza's for a fancier non-dominos type place we had a service charge of $2.00
Every idiot swore that was my tip and that I got it but I didn't.

If you didn't tip me i'd dump all my car's trash in your driveway or step on a sprinkler and snap it on my way back to the car.Usually something you wouldn't notice right away.Tip me just change and i'd have fun throwing it at your car trying to put little nicks, dents and scratches in it.

Tip well or you will pay either way!
Old 11-10-04, 12:42 PM

They were fast, polite, and neat. The fireplace came in three boxes. They assembled it carefully (no scratches!) and whisked the boxes and the packing material away.

They got ten bucks each, but no Splenda.
Old 11-10-04, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by AndyCapps
Holy shit. Tipping furniture delivery guys? The ones that delivered my new furniture are lucky to still be alive. I had nearly $5K worth of furniture delivered, and some of the old pieces taken to the basement. They put a foot long scratch in my front hardwood floor. They scuffed up every wall they passed by. They didn't bother to assemble the legs to the bed, just sat them there hoping we'd never notice. I'm still waiting for all the damage they did to be fixed. I had all of my halls(brand new house) repainted on their dime, but the guy they had do it did a terrible job. The entry hardwood is going to be totally replaced, but this time we're getting the people who originally installed it to replace it.

I had some appliances delivered. There were supposed to be two delivery people, only one guy showed up. So I had to help deliver my own appliances. I got to take the door off of the refrigerator and help push my oven through the door. That was fun. But hey, at least that delivery was free.

I don't think I could ever see myself tipping a furniture delivery guy.
I think you perfectly illustrate why you should tip for a good job.
Old 11-10-04, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by milpool

They got ten bucks each, but no Splenda.
Cheap bastard
Old 11-10-04, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by slax

If you didn't tip me i'd dump all my car's trash in your driveway or step on a sprinkler and snap it on my way back to the car.Usually something you wouldn't notice right away.Tip me just change and i'd have fun throwing it at your car trying to put little nicks, dents and scratches in it.

Tip well or you will pay either way!
Very classy. Vandalism if you don't get a dollar.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.