Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Why Do Christians Believe God Needs Them To Accomplish His Will?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 11-09-04, 06:33 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The theocracy thread got me thinking about this. We see it more and more in this country. The religous right is notorious for it. They all think that they need to be "proactive" for God.

Why? God can do whatever He wants. If He wants someone dead, that person will die. If He wants something stopped, He has ways to stop it. There are many examples of such things in the Bible.

God doesn't need people to carry out his wishes. And what is acceptible to God is often very different from what humans believe it should be. The death of Jesus is a perfect example.

So why do Christians behave so?

When I see someone attempting to "carry out the will of God" or believing "God works (or speaks) through them" it seems very suspicious. What type of an all-powerful deity with a host of powerful angels needs a lowly human to do anything of importance for Him?
Old 11-09-04, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think you're on to something, but you might want to simplify things a bit more.
Old 11-09-04, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by stevevt
I think you're on to something, but you might want to simplify things a bit more.
Old 11-09-04, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Why Do Christians Believe God Needs Them To Accomplish His Will?

Originally posted by shifrbv
What type of an all-powerful deity with a host of powerful angels needs a lowly human to do anything of importance for Him?

Because we were made in His image for His pleasure.

I take great pride and joy in watching my children do wonderful and kind things for others; just think of how wonderful it makes God feel to watch His children do the same.
Old 11-09-04, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Re: Re: Why Do Christians Believe God Needs Them To Accomplish His Will?

Originally posted by Kittydreamer

I take great pride and joy in watching my children do wonderful and kind things for others; just think of how wonderful it makes God feel to watch His children do the same.
An omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, never changing, perfect being needs us to make him "feel good"?
Old 11-09-04, 07:13 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Re: Re: Why Do Christians Believe God Needs Them To Accomplish His Will?

This is what i find it funny with Christains. They claim that ALL people were made in HIS Image, but only cherry pick the character they want to be associated with God. Heck, God created Cancer, AIDS, Hepatitis and even death....but somehow Christains only choose the things they want to hear. Come to think of it....does that mean God is gay since there are same sex attaction in the community......
(Puts on flame suit)......
Old 11-09-04, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: Re: Why Do Christians Believe God Needs Them To Accomplish His Will?

Originally posted by movielib
An omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, never changing, perfect being needs us to make him "feel good"?
Everyone needs to hear "I love you" once in a while.

By doing His will, that's how some of us "lowly humans" do that.

Btw, it should be noted that everything I have said so far in this thread is totally my opinion and not to meant to be shoved in anyone's face.

I know this can be a hot topic to discuss and I don't want to be offensive to anyone.
Old 11-09-04, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Re: Re: Re: Re: Why Do Christians Believe God Needs Them To Accomplish His Will?

Everyone needs to hear "I love you" once in a while.
God isn't "everyone."
By doing His will, that's how some of us "lowly humans" do that.
But god is omniscient. He already knows everything that has ever been done and will be done. I just don't see how seeing something "good" every once in awhile he already knows about will make him "happy."
Btw, it should be noted that everything I have said so far in this thread is totally my opinion and not to meant to be shoved in anyone's face.

I know this can be a hot topic to discuss and I don't want to be offensive to anyone.
Me too. I'm your friendly neighborhood nonoffending atheist.
Old 11-09-04, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Free will.

A better question is why religious people think that praying for someone's health, for example, will make it more likely that the sick person gets better. Like God's going to say "Gee, I was going to let Mabel succumb to her cancer, but since her grandkids and her neighbor prayed for her, I'll spare her life. Sorry Lucy, you should have surrounded yourself with religious people like Mabel did; you're going to have to die."
Old 11-09-04, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"Because God is powerful, but also insecure. Kind of like Barbra Streisand before James Brolin." - Homer Simpson
Old 11-09-04, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Why Do Christians Believe God Needs Them To Accomplish His Will?

God isn't "everyone."

But god is omniscient. He already knows everything that has ever been done and will be done. I just don't see how seeing something "good" every once in awhile he already knows about will make him "happy."

Yes, I know God isn't "everyone" but imho, I still think He enjoys seeing us doing His will.

And I'm glad I didn't offend you with my opinions. I tend to get a little "pushy" when it comes to this topic.
Old 11-09-04, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Why Do Christians Believe God Needs Them To Accomplish His Will?

I'm offended.

Old 11-09-04, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by JasonF
Free will.

A better question is why religious people think that praying for someone's health, for example, will make it more likely that the sick person gets better. Like God's going to say "Gee, I was going to let Mabel succumb to her cancer, but since her grandkids and her neighbor prayed for her, I'll spare her life. Sorry Lucy, you should have surrounded yourself with religious people like Mabel did; you're going to have to die."
JasonF,

To be honest, as a Christian, this never made sense to me either. I'm not sure what theologians say on the matter -- I never really investigated it.

I have my own thoughts... but I really don't know for certain.
Old 11-09-04, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 11-09-04, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thus began my road to agnositcism.... This is the question I want to ask every 'extremeist' whether they be Christian, Muslim etc...
"If your god is so great, powerful and all knowing, why does 'he' need you to fight for him ?"
Seems if you really believed in your god then letting him take care of the 'infidels' and 'sinners' would be the ultimate show of faith, if you have to go out and 'take care' of them yourself then your god is pretty weak.

If your god created everything, then he created your enemies... if your enemies are so disdainful that they need to be killed, punished, ridiculed, etc. then your god is flawed and you better question your devotion.

Last edited by greg9x; 11-09-04 at 08:30 PM.
Old 11-09-04, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought if the question (thread topic that is) would be asked, it would be asked like this:

Why Do Christians Believe They Need God To Accomplish Their Own Will?

I guess though...that will isn't theirs but god's?

I dunno...it's why I'm not of any particular western religion.

Old 11-09-04, 08:52 PM

Free will, like JasonF already mentioned. That we choose to follow His Word.

Really, what's the point if we didn't have to do jack and sit on our asses?
Old 11-09-04, 08:56 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What does God need with a starship?
Old 11-09-04, 08:57 PM

Doing things for God is not about helping Him accomplish things; it's a sign of one's faith and love. Why do people ever go the extra mile for others? It's not because they need to, but because they want to.

Now as far as the "God's will" issue, I think most Christians (who think about this issue, anyway) pray so that they'll know and will be comfortable with God's will. They aren't saying "You need me to accomplish Your will" so much as "Can I be a part of Your plan?"

Here's another way to look at it. The world will always be made up of good people and bad people and people in between. There WILL be more Hitlers and Bin Ladens in the future, and Nazis and terrorists who follow them. This is inevitable. God knows it and we all know it. So does it no longer matter which side you're on, and how you live your life, just because there are so many other people that your own choices might not affect the grand scheme?
Old 11-09-04, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
If God did everything for us, what would we learn here?
Old 11-09-04, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by JasonF
Free will.

Consider that God answers prayer not only for the person being prayed for.... but for the person doing the praying as well.

Answered prayers are one way that God shows us that He exists.
Old 11-09-04, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
shifrbv,

Are you being the Devil's Advocate or are you being... the Devil's Advocate.
Old 11-09-04, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by greg9x
Thus began my road to agnositcism.... This is the question I want to ask every 'extremeist' whether they be Christian, Muslim etc...
"If your god is so great, powerful and all knowing, why does 'he' need you to fight for him ?"
Seems if you really believed in your god then letting him take care of the 'infidels' and 'sinners' would be the ultimate show of faith, if you have to go out and 'take care' of them yourself then your god is pretty weak.

If your god created everything, then he created your enemies... if your enemies are so disdainful that they need to be killed, punished, ridiculed, etc. then your god is flawed and you better question your devotion.
I don't think anyone mentioned it. But I think it has something to do with free will.
Old 11-09-04, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Duder
Now as far as the "God's will" issue, I think most Christians (who think about this issue, anyway) pray so that they'll know and will be comfortable with God's will. They aren't saying "You need me to accomplish Your will" so much as "Can I be a part of Your plan?"
Exactly. God doesn't need us to carry out His will. He allows those of us who ask to play a part because He loves us and knows that we'll be blessed to know that He used us.

It is very humbling to know that He didn't HAVE to use me to get something done... but He CHOSE to.
Old 11-09-04, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Bandoman
What does God need with a starship?

I love that line!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.