Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

My little girl is growing up (foo's occasional reptile thread)

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 11-08-04, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pip's growing up. Or should I say she's growing long? By the time Alan Dean Foster comes to San Jose, she will be almost five feet long

This is her in all her post-shed glorious rainbow glory.

Old 11-08-04, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

awwwwwww
Old 11-08-04, 08:06 PM

can you take snapshots next time you feed the snake?
Old 11-08-04, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I actually leave her alone when she's feeding so she doesn't get stressed. Besides, she has an uncanny sense of when the camera is pointed in her direction. I only got these two shots after taking about 25 photos of her. Most of the photos were blurred because she'd move out of the way just as I snapped the picture.

I imagine if I tried to take a picture of her eating her lunch, something really dire would happen that we'd both regret.
Old 11-09-04, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
did you mention what kind of snake that is and how big it should get?
Old 11-09-04, 03:34 PM

she's really pretty, and shiny.
a friend of mine, back in the day, had an albino burmese python. the last time i saw him he was sixth months old and 6 feet long. it was fun to watch him eat. reeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!

i'd get one too, maybe a rat snake or something that wouldn't get too big, but i can hardly take care of myself let alone another creature.
Old 11-09-04, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

has it ever tried to attack you, wrap around you trying to squeeze the last breath from your body, thereby making you call the fire department, they get there cant get it off you so they cut its head off?

If not you dont know what your missing,, yet.

Muhahahah

Is it true what they say, you find a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow? Or do you just find a pointy tail with crap at the end of it?

nice snake
Old 11-09-04, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pip is a Brazilian Rainbow Boa. She's very docile and the only thing she has ever attacked has been her food.

She won't be a very big snake, topping out at 6.5 to 7 feet and if she's lucky, she'll make it to 10 pounds. Compare that with a burmese python at a year old, which would already be pushing ten feet long and 30+ pounds.

I chose the rainbow boa because the species doesn't get too large or difficult to handle, is docile when handled frequently, and is fairly exotic looking. Apart from her humidity needs, she is pretty easy to care for.

She needs a minimum of 80% humidity in her tank at all times.
Old 11-10-04, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

awww...you shoulda brought it to the last meet
Old 11-10-04, 12:04 AM

what do you normally feed her?
Old 11-10-04, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Mole177
what do you normally feed her?
Children who misbehave!!

I actually like snakes. If I can find a nice one that would kill me...I wouldn't mind keeping it as a pet.

-pedagogue
Old 11-10-04, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
She's gorgeous and her colors are great looking mllefoo! Anyone who hasn't seen Rainbow Boas in real life or just after a shed is missing out on some real beauty. One who didn't know what reptile scales are capable of would gasp in awe at the colors that shimmer off of their bodies.

I had my Ball Python out tonite and I just love her so much. She had a good sized mouse on Saturday so she's looking healthy and plump. When I'm financially in a better position I'm going to buy another snake because I love them.
Old 11-10-04, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Pip is eating full grown mice. She will eventually eat medium to large rats.

I just found a guy on craigslist (and kingsnake.com) in my area who is selling 4 month old babies for $125. Mein Gott but they're cute little snakelets. They're a great price, too!

I'm sorely tempted, though I don't really have a place to keep a second snake at the moment.

Old 11-10-04, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice update!

What do you do to keep the tank at 80%? As you may or may not remember I have a Chameleon and of course they depend on high humidity. I assume it is much easier since you probably use some sort of glass enclosure. Right now I keep him outside but right now temps are dropping to a cold (hey I live in FL) 60 degrees.
Old 11-10-04, 01:17 AM

Originally posted by mllefoo
Pip is eating full grown mice. She will eventually eat medium to large rats.

I just found a guy on craigslist (and kingsnake.com) in my area who is selling 4 month old babies for $125. Mein Gott but they're cute little snakelets. They're a great price, too!

I'm sorely tempted, though I don't really have a place to keep a second snake at the moment.

if i were illiterate i would be a bit freaked out right now. mllefoo has man hands!
but i'm not so carry on with your regularly scheduled programs.
Old 11-10-04, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

She lives in a glass enclosure. I have her on shredded coconut husk substrate, which holds moisture really well. Add to that a container of water placed over the undertank heater. Since the terrarium has a screen top, I put a few layers of towel on the top of her cage.

Keeping the tank at 80% is pretty easy this way. Like Chameleons, she does not need high heat. Her environment ranges from 70 to 85 degrees, depending on the time of day, though in the winter her tank will be reduced to 65 degrees at night.
Old 11-10-04, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, I can't do most of that since they require a well ventilated enclosure. I am not using any substrate since after much research I thought it best not to since he is arboreal and might accidentally eat it if his tongue gets stuck on it. I am using real twigs but fake plants and drip everyday and mist as often as possible.