Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone here have a Tempur-Pedic mattress?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 11-08-04, 06:04 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are looking into getting one, but I have a few questions.

For those who don't know, they are the Swedish memory foam mattresses: www.tempurpedic.com

We slept on one a couple of years ago and we both found that it was the best night of sleep we ever had.

Questions:
I've heard they can be really warm and are not very good in the summer. True?

Are the different levels of quality they sell worth the price difference?

Anyone have back problems? I'm 6'5" 285 lbs and I have the typical back issues that goes along with someone my size. Thoughts?

Anything else I should know?

Thanks.
Old 11-08-04, 06:07 PM
Banned

Also, there are other companies that make memory foam, even though Tempur-Pedic are known to be the best. Anyone compare others?
Old 11-08-04, 06:17 PM
Banned

Originally posted by damn_skippy
I have one.

It takes a couple of weeks to get used to it but it is hands down the best mattress i have ever owned.
Which one do you have? Classic, Deluxe or Celebrity?
Old 11-08-04, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: under the stars with a great view of the mountains and a the lovely aroma of cow shit.
Re: Anyone here have a Tempur-Pedic mattress?

Originally posted by Green Jello
[B]My wife and I are looking into getting one, but I have a few questions.

For those who don't know, they are the Swedish memory foam mattresses: www.tempurpedic.com

We slept on one a couple of years ago and we both found that it was the best night of sleep we ever had.

Questions:

Yes but i never noticed a difference.

I have the kigsize deluxe and think the extra money was worth it.

Anyone have back problems? I'm 6'5" 285 lbs and I have the typical back issues that goes along with someone my size. Thoughts?

That is the reason i bought it. It feels great. It conforms and supports my lower back better than any mattress i have ever had. The first week my back was still sore in the morning. But i have now gotten used to it there is no more pain.

Look around for private dealers. Guys at trade or home shows I was able to pick mine up for 1400 bucks.

Anything else I should know?

The memory foam is only half the mattress.

Thanks.

Last edited by damn_skippy; 11-08-04 at 07:18 PM.
Old 11-08-04, 06:32 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Anyone here have a Tempur-Pedic mattress?

Yes but i never noticed a difference.
I'm confused. Then how do you know?

The memory foam is only half the mattress.
To what are you referring? The quality of the foam? The base layer? The hot Swedish girls who come to you house to install it?
Old 11-08-04, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: under the stars with a great view of the mountains and a the lovely aroma of cow shit.
Re: Re: Re: Anyone here have a Tempur-Pedic mattress?

Originally posted by Green Jello
I'm confused. Then how do you know?

It is warmer than a regular mattress but not enough to keep or wake you up at night.

To what are you referring? The quality of the foam? The base layer? The hot Swedish girls who come to you house to instal it?

please click to enlarge

Last edited by damn_skippy; 11-08-04 at 06:41 PM.
Old 11-08-04, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I just rested on one at the furniture store today. They want 3k for the queen celebrity set. I almost think it's worth it because it's so damn comfy.
Old 11-08-04, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought a "tempurpedic" pillow at Sam's Club and it's unusable. It's hard as a rock and smells like chemicals.

This is not a slam against the actual tempurpedic matresses, just a reminder to be careful of the knockoff brands.
Old 11-08-04, 07:08 PM

We bought a king sized bed with two pillows for $2000. My wife thinks it's the best purchase we ever made. She sleeps very soundly now, and I have to admit that it's pretty darn comfortable.
Old 11-08-04, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

They can be hard as a brick (briefly) in cold weather though. The foam needs warmth to allow it to provide the contour support.

Other than that, they are awesome! I've owned a set of the pillows for about 5 years. My parents bought one (mattress) for their guest room and I've used it many times.

Sonic
Old 11-08-04, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
These are extremely comfortable. I used to wake up in the morning, sit on the edge of the bed, and twist my spin till it sounded like a bowl of Rice Krispies. Now, it's just a regular stretch, and I feel much better.

They're a little warmer in the summer, but you just put fewer blankets on top of you and you're fine.
Old 11-08-04, 10:04 PM
Banned

I've been using their pillows for a year now and although they take some getting used to, I now love them.
Old 11-08-04, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A little off-topic, but maybe helpful for someone who doesn't want to (or can't) spend the big bucks. From the research that I did, I think it was true that for many years, Tempur-pedic did have sort of a monopoly on manufacturing good visco-elastic foam, but more recently, other manufacturers are producing quality products.

Although it's not the Tempur-pedic brand, I'm extremely happy with a 3" thick visco-elastic foam mattress topper that I got about a month ago at Overstock.com. I put it on top of a fairly firm mattress, and that sits on a platform, no box spring. It was $132, shipped, and they're the same price for any size. I actually have a queen bed, ordered a king mattress and cut it down to have some extra foam for cushions, pillows, etc. It's easy to cut with a very sharp, long-bladed knife.

This thing definitely helps me sleep better. My girlfriend visits often and she felt the same (I just ordered her another one). I'm definitely glad we got the 3" size versus a thinner one. Being somewhat of an insomniac, I've often had to resort to some mild over-the-counter or prescription sleep aids. Since getting this foam mattress topper, I haven't taken a single sleep aid in over a month. Drinking a lot more, though...............just kidding.
Old 11-08-04, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just bought one of the memory foam mattress pads (the Costco one, 2.5" thick)... still attempting to get used to it... expected a more 'sinking/molding' into it feeling thats not happening. Have had a sore back last couple days but don't know if it's due to the pad or over excersise. Also not sleeping as long, don't feel tired, but not super rested... Giving it some time.
Old 11-09-04, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The sinking/molding has a lot to do with the viscosity of the foam. Look that topic up on the net. The Tempur Pedic mattress has 3 different layers to it, with the softest being on top.

We've had our mattress for at least 5 years now and this is what I can tell you--

Questions:

It is warmer, but not uncomfortable. The only time I sweat on that bed is A) when I'm sick B) when I'm having a nightmare and C) well, you know None of these reasons have anything to do with the mattress. It does a great job of regulating body temps. If you have the pillow, stick your hand underneath it. Mine transfers my extra body heat away from my head and to the bottom of the pillow.

I have the Classic. Couldn't tell you about the other levels as I don't believe they existed when I purchased mine. I am completely happy with the Classic and I'm a hard girl to please.

I'm short, but weigh a bit and I don't experience back pain with this mattress. When I go on vacation and sleep on other mattresses, it's painful. My hip hurts from pressure points, I feel unrested, I toss, I ache. You get the picture.
Old 06-17-07, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

BUMP

I am seriously considering a Tempurpedic right now. My only question is what's the difference between the OriginalBed and the SymphonyBed? Anything noticeable?
Old 06-17-07, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's not for everyone. I don't like the feel of these things at all. I have and prefer the spring mattresses. My pillow top feels great.
Old 06-17-07, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i think it was like $1800 a few years ago when the wife and i needed one. we bought a sealy for $1200. the hardest one with the pillow top. best matress ever
Old 06-17-07, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
my wife and i bought the queen size memory foam mattress that costco carries and it has been wonderful. my wife has some fairly serious back issues and there has been a pretty substantial difference for her since getting the mattress.
Old 06-18-07, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk God

Buy a good middle of the road mattress set and pick up a memory foam topper from Overstock.com. We were close to buying a tempurpedic, took that advice, and saved a lot of money, and it feels the same to us. We got the 3" topper at overstock for a King bed.
Old 06-18-07, 03:14 PM

I got the Rhapsody in March 07 and it is amazing. Much better than my spring mattress I used to sleep on (though that's over 10 years old). The only problem is all the stores that sell Tempurpedics have the same prices. Luckily I was able to get a deal on tax, delivery and the boxframe (boxes).
Old 06-18-07, 03:22 PM
Banned

everyone is replying to the 3 year old messages and ignoring the bumper's question.
Old 06-18-07, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone have experience with the air mattresses (ie Sleep Number)?

Last edited by parrotheads4; 06-18-07 at 06:26 PM.
Old 06-18-07, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by matta
everyone is replying to the 3 year old messages and ignoring the bumper's question.
It's cool, I guess we need to hear more people's general thoughts about Tempur-pedic...

I'll just remember this next time a mod yells at me for starting a new thread instead of bumping an old one.
Old 06-18-07, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by matta
Yeah, I didn't catch that until I replied. And the OP is suspended and then banned as of today. WTF!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.