Reload this Page >

Coolant flush cost?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Coolant flush cost?

Old 11-07-04, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coolant flush cost?

My Jeep is running hot so I took a look at the coolant. It's full of crap so I suspect that is the problem.

How much does a garage charge for a coolant flush? This is something I'm willing to do myself if it ends up being expensive, just really don't want to since its messy and supposedly the drain plug is a pain to get to on my Jeep.
Old 11-07-04, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Do it yourself. There's a little valve on the bottom of your radiator. Open it and catch all the dirty coolant with a tote of some sort. Then just close it off and fill 'er back up. Keep in mind, you will have to fill up the radiator, drive the car a few miles, let it cool down, and then fill it up again because the thermostat will be closed initially so the water level will be deceiving.

Quick questions, just in case it's not the coolant......since that's not usually a cause of overheating. How many miles are on your car? How hot does it get? Is there any sign of oil in the coolant, or water in the oil? After your car heats up, does the top radiator hose feel warm to touch? It could be a number of things: clogged radiator, bad water pump, thermostat, or worst case scenario....blown head gasket.

Last edited by wabio; 11-07-04 at 10:21 PM.
Old 11-08-04, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Its got 160K miles. Don't think it's a head gasket since the oil is fine (not milky). It gets right up to the start of the red on the temp gauge.

I'm thinking its a clogged radiator since there is a bunch of crap in the coolant. I'll take a better look at it tomorrow when the sun is up. It could be the thermostat too since I noticed the electric fan wasn't running even though it was almost in the red. The air conditioner will kick the fan in right away.
Old 11-08-04, 01:07 AM
Banned

Don't forget about the coolant in the engine block also. What I do is drain both, radiator and engine block. Use a garden hose and spray water into it to flush out as much deposit as possible. Close up the plugs and fill it up with water and run the engine for about ten minutes. Drai it and flush it with the garden hose again. Repeat until you see clear water exiting the drain.
Old 11-08-04, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

BTW the thermostat doesn't trigger your fan. The fan should have it's own temperature sensor switch. Has your radiator, water pump, or thermostat ever been replaced on your car? At 160K miles, it might be about time.....and if you're going to do one, you might as well do all three at the same time. In my experience, once you get the radiator out it gets a lot easier because you have more room to work with. Don't forget to replace all your hoses too.
Old 11-08-04, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The last time I got a coolant flush, it was ~ $40 or $45.
Old 11-08-04, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
One garden hose attached to house
Five buck inline T kit from Prestone
Five buck Coolant Flush bottle
Ten buck bottle of antifreeze
Thirty minutes of your time.