Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

What to know about Ebay, Paypal to Canada? (YAET)

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 11-07-04, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mod: please move to the Ebay Forum, if appropriate.

I'm selling some electronics on Ebay. I generally only ship in the US. I have someone in Canada wanted to purchase.

What do I need to know/do to protect myself?
I'm going to require Paypal to purchase.

In regards to Paypayl, do the "verify" and "confirm" the users like US users?

I just want to make sure I don't get burned. The item is around $250 (US).
Old 11-07-04, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I only ship items within the us also but I did have one item that someone wanted shipped outside of the us. I only did for that person because they had really good feedback and that was the only reason I would do so.
Old 11-07-04, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Graftenberg
I only ship items within the us also but I did have one item that someone wanted shipped outside of the us. I only did for that person because they had really good feedback and that was the only reason I would do so.
Yeah, that's part of the problem. His feedback isn't immaculate, and a lot of it isn't from buyer, but selling. Only 1 is recent enough to check the auction, so I can't see what kind (price) of items he has dealt with in the past.

Here's his feedback:
http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAP...erid=super-cor
Old 11-07-04, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Make sure he knows that any fees or taxes or duties he gets are his responsibility. I dont think the USPS will insure international packages, so if they want it insured, youll need to send it ups or fedex, which they will most likely charge him a customs brokerage fee.
Old 11-07-04, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by uli2000
Make sure he knows that any fees or taxes or duties he gets are his responsibility. I dont think the USPS will insure international packages, so if they want it insured, youll need to send it ups or fedex, which they will most likely charge him a customs brokerage fee.
I just sold most of my old Star Trek DVD's to a guy in Montreal. I can vouch that this is true.
Old 11-07-04, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If I were to send it Global Airmail Parcel Post, it appears that I could insure it. Or do you guys know otherwise?
Old 11-07-04, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the item is $250, he will definitely get dinged for duty, taxes and possibly brokerage charges (depending on how it is shipped), so make sure he is aware of that.

It is possible for Canadians to get verified by Paypal and get a confirmed address (it was no problem for me, and I'm in Canada), so make sure he has all that, and however you ship it, make sure you can get some kind of proof of delivery. Hopefully that will be enough to cover you as far as Paypal is concerned (but nothing is 100% foolproof with them, and I've never trusted them with a dollar amound that large, personally).
Old 11-07-04, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ditto. I am verified with a confirmed address as well. You should send with insurance and tracking, and if you are not willing to get that, or think it is too expensive, or whatever, definitely don't go through with it.

Gifts over $60 Canadian and merchandise over $20 Canadian can get stopped for duties, which are provincial sales tax (15% in my case) plus $5 for handling. You should make sure that he knows this, and that if customs do get their grubby little hands on it, it can delay delivery for weeks, sometimes over a month.

Regardless, with any ebay/PayPal transaction, you are opening yourself up for trouble. Just goes with the territory!
Old 11-07-04, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Okay. Doing a little research, it appears I could send it Airmail Parcel Post, with Insurance, and Return Receipt.

So if he has a confirmed Paypal address, I should be covered.

Did I miss anything?

I'm going to email him, and yes, I am stating he's responsible for any fees/taxes/Customs brokerage fees/duties/etc.
Old 11-08-04, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sounds like you got it covered, but there is always risk with any transaction. Good luck!
Old 11-08-04, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Movieking, customs no longer allows any gifts to be marked as gifts I believe.

As for shipping, for the love of everything that is cute and furry, do NOT use UPS shipping. A 250$ US item shipped by UPS will cost the buyer around 150$ cdn in 'fees' tacked on by UPS.
Old 11-08-04, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, shortly after I emailed back the person it became a moot point (or "moo point", if you're Joey). Someone from the US purchased it.

But I learned a few things. For less expensive items, from now on, I won't exclude shipping to Canada.

I'm actually really glad the person is from the US, because the item was a satellite receiver, so I don't have to worry about customs detaining the package or anything.