Reload this Page >

So I went to the Bulls Game Yesterday..

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 11-06-04, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I went to the Bulls-Nets game yesterday and they had a honorary person come out and give the ball to the refs to start the game..

The guy was in a wheelchair, he was really messed up. Turns out he was a Marine who was paralzyed, really messed up in Iraq.

When they announced who he was, the entire crowd was on its feet for at least 4-5 minutes. That includes players, refs, everybody.

I guess it really hit home what is going on over there. And it made me feel how selfish I was, going around our normal business, having fun, whatnot.

I teared up and even now as I am writing this, I am shedding a little tear.

God Bless our Troops.
Old 11-06-04, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Amen
Old 11-07-04, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Nothing election-related.

Moving to, uh, Other I guess.

- David Stein
Old 11-07-04, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 11-07-04, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: So I went to the Bulls Game Yesterday..

Originally posted by chanster
When they announced who he was, the entire crowd was on its feet for at least 4-5 minutes. That includes players, refs, everybody.
Very cool... I'd be tearing up up too. Things like this brings it very close to home.

This may not be the "ultimate sacrifice" but it's pretty damn close. My heart goes out to him and his family and I hope his recovery goes well and he can adjust.

to him and to our troops.
Old 11-07-04, 07:05 PM
Suspended

Location: Now in the Mojave desert...but still, thankfully, outside Los Angeles
...and five years from now, one hopes you will all be sending him positive messages about getting shot up in a waste of US soldiers.

It is interesting that everyone is all teary about a soldier...but nobody even mentions his name...he's just a "guy".
Old 11-07-04, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
If I knew his name, I'd sure mention it. If I had a means of writing to him, I would.

I'd thank him for serving his country... regardless of the location or the reason. He went where he was told to go.
Old 11-07-04, 08:28 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by TomOpus
If I knew his name, I'd sure mention it. If I had a means of writing to him, I would.

I'd thank him for serving his country... regardless of the location or the reason. He went where he was told to go.
So, find out what his name is...contact the Bulls...I'm sure they know who he is.

As to the reason...well, he probably didn't have lots of choice in the matter. But, by all means find out who he is. Then in 2010, send him an email asking him if it was worth it.
Old 11-07-04, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by waveform
Then in 2010, send him an email asking him if it was worth it.
and five years from now, one hopes you will all be sending him positive messages about getting shot up in a waste of US soldiers.

It is interesting that everyone is all teary about a soldier...but nobody even mentions his name...he's just a "guy".
I'm really disheartened at your snide comments about this story. Chanster felt very moved by what he saw and he relayed the story that it was seemingly felt by the entire arena full of people.

No politics, no grandstanding. Just an observation that the people in our military put their lives on the line and how we should respect that (regardless of how you may feel about Iraq). Instead, you see fit the crap all over what happened and make some jackass statement about the war.

Classless, truly classless.
Old 11-08-04, 12:24 AM
Suspended

What is classless is to have essentially ended the life of a kid by sending him to get shot up in a war that didn't need to happen in the first place.

What is classless is to refer to him as the guy who was in the wheelchair. He was really messed up...classy statement there.

What is classless is to use this "guy in the wheelchair" as a symbol of righteousness while ignoring the reality of his life from now on.

What is classless is to be so moved by the plight of "what's his name" that you ignore the other unnamed casualties.

What is classless is to allow this to continue.
Old 11-08-04, 12:31 AM
Premium Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
What is classless is to have essentially ended the life of a kid by sending him to get shot up in a war that didn't need to happen in the first place.

What is classless is to refer to him as the guy who was in the wheelchair. He was really messed up...classy statement there.

What is classless is to use this "guy in the wheelchair" as a symbol of righteousness while ignoring the reality of his life from now on.

What is classless is to be so moved by the plight of "what's his name" that you ignore the other unnamed casualties.

What is classless is to allow this to continue.
It's classless, because it's not about your opinion of the war.
Old 11-08-04, 12:52 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by The Cow
It's classless, because it's not about your opinion of the war.
No it's classless because there didn't need to be a war in the first place.
Old 11-08-04, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

He was really messed up...classy statement there.
Give me a fucking break. I wrote it, I am not trying to write prose here.

Give me a fucking break. How am I ignoring his reality of his life by writing about this?
Old 11-08-04, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I do know his name. I didn't think it was important enough to put in the post - if you give a rat's ass his name is Sgt. Joel Gomez.

And you know what, I did do something proactive this morning about it. I contacted Mark Cuban this morning who runs a fund for disabled vets. Here is my exchange:

If he applies, we will look at it

m

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, November 07, 2004 10:49 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Nomination for Fallen Patriot Fund - Anyway to help this Iraq War
Vet?

Mark-

Is there anyway you can help this guy out? He was paralyzed in Iraq when his
tank fell into a river. He was the honorary ball person at the Bulls-Nets
game and I wished there was someway our country could thank him more than
just giving him a standing O at a Bulls game?
Here is his information:
Sgt. Joel Gomez (Wheaton, IL)
http://www.dailyherald.com/community...26940&zone=war
Just 20 minutes ago, I got an email from Brian Cuban with the information on the steps.

Daniel

Mark Cuban forwarded me your inquiry regarding a grant from the Fallen Patrtiot Fund. The soldier from Wheaton can go to www.fallenpatriotfund.org and print and application right off the web site. He should then send it in to the address listed. It takea about one week for it to get routed to me for review. Pelase be sure he prints all information very clearly including his email address if he has one.

Sincerley

Brian Cuban
I don't know how to reach Sgt. Gomez's family so I just emailed the writer of the Daily Herald Story"

Mr. Fuller-

I was at the Bulls game when Sgt. Gomez (the man you wrote about in Oct) came out. It was a very touching moment. Anyway, I know Mark Cuban (from the Dallas Mavericks) had started a private charity for disabled Iraqi vets. I emailed him on Sunday and got a response from him and his brother (who runs the charity). Can you please pass this information along to Sgt. Gomez's family?

Thank you,
xxxxxx
I had just sent this email when I came into this thread and saw you shit all over my story and my emotions. Thats just ridicoulous. And I know that money won't make this guy whole again, but its about as much as I can do.

Last edited by chanster; 11-08-04 at 01:17 AM.
Old 11-08-04, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

And that's what this fucking thread is about isn't it? The war in Iraq. No it's about a soldier that got appreciated at a Bulls game for his sacrifice. Thanks for doing your part in showing how ridiculously stupid and arrogant the left is.
Old 11-08-04, 01:27 AM
Premium Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Like I said; "In your opinion..."
Old 11-08-04, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm inclined to lock this thread, based on where it's gone. But that would be a shame, since the original post has a lot of merit and we can probably have a very worthwhile discussion.

So - no talk about the rightness or the wrongness of the war in this thread. That topic has no place here and shouldn't have been mentioned here. Go start another thread if you want to discuss that. Thanks.

chanster: for your compassion.

- David Stein
Old 11-08-04, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: So I went to the Bulls Game Yesterday..

Originally posted by chanster
So I went to the Bulls-Nets game yesterday and they had a honorary person come out and give the ball to the refs to start the game..

The guy was in a wheelchair, he was really messed up. Turns out he was a Marine who was paralzyed, really messed up in Iraq.

I guess it really hit home what is going on over there. And it made me feel how selfish I was, going around our normal business, having fun, whatnot.

I teared up and even now as I am writing this, I am shedding a little tear.

God Bless our Troops.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-08-04, 10:51 AM
Premium Member

I saw a guy on 60 min or 20/20 (or one of these shows) last night that was 19 years old and was in a humvee that hit a land mine. He was burned like 50% of his body or something like that.

Anyway the point was his face was badly disfigured. He was going through cosmetic surgery but still I hope it made all that saw it take the same pause that chanster is expressing.

We have been missing this half of the story from the national press.
Old 11-08-04, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by bfrank
We have been missing this half of the story from the national press.
We have?
Old 11-08-04, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by bfrank
I saw a guy on 60 min or 20/20 (or one of these shows)
You can't by bothered to remember which show it was? Now that is classless

In all seriousness, thanks for sharing this story.