Reload this Page >

"Don't Spit in this Cop's Burger"

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 11-05-04, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Warning: those of you who haven't eaten lunch may not want to read this just yet:

http://www.freenewmexican.com/news/6283.html

Since receiving a phlegm-laden Whopper earlier this year, Rio Rancho police officer Adam Crosby said he hasn't been able to eat a hamburger, and he sure doesn't dine at Burger King anymore.

"I still can't eat a sliced tomato without vomiting," Crosby said Thursday. "This totally ruined me for burgers for the rest of my life."

Crosby, who returned to the Rio Rancho police force only two weeks ago after spending several months re-evaluating whether he wanted to remain a police officer, received and partially ate the tainted hamburger from a disgruntled employee in March. On Wednesday, Crosby filed a personal-injury complaint in First District Court in Santa Fe for damages against the fast-food chain.

"It just blew me away that someone would do that to someone else -- cop or not," Crosby said. "It's so degrading. I would rather he punched me."

Crosby, 30, was in the drive-through lane of the Burger King on N.M. 528 in Rio Rancho about 5:15 p.m. on March 20 scanning the menu and trying to decide what to eat, he said. He was wearing his full uniform and driving a police car. The back door to the restaurant was open, and Crosby said he saw a man walking back and forth in front of the door and staring at him.

He ordered a Whopper-with-cheese Value Meal, paid for it and drove around the corner to a nearby gas station parking lot to eat, Crosby said.

"Approximately five, six bites into eating the burger, I pulled the burger away from my mouth and I observed a (strand) of thick, clear saliva-looking substance stretching from my mouth and the burger," according to Crosby's official report of the incident. "As I pulled the burger further away, the thick (strand) of saliva separated, and a portion of the substance landed on my lower lip.

"I could taste the slimy substance in my mouth."

Crosby opened the burger to investigate.

"Under the tomato, but on top of the pickles, I observed a large area of what appeared to be saliva and sputum," Crosby's report states.

Crosby got out of his car and vomited until nothing was left in his stomach and continued to dry-heave, according to his report. Crosby then contacted his police supervisor, who soon arrived at the restaurant, he said.

When Crosby showed him the Whopper, the supervisor also vomited, Crosby said.

Officers then spoke to a Burger King employee, who said that another employee -- 19-year-old Marcus Calderon -- yelled "Cop in the drive-through" when he saw Crosby drive up, according to another report of the incident. The employee told police he interpreted the statement to mean Calderon was going to do something to Crosby's burger, according to the report.

Calderon told police he was sick and might have coughed while he prepared the burger, and some material might have accidentally gotten into it, the report states.

Calderon was arrested and charged with battery of a police officer and an adulterated-food violation. He pleaded guilty Oct. 8 to the battery charge in Bernalillo District Court and is scheduled to be sentenced later this month, according to court records and Crosby.

Geoff McCollum, operator of the Burger King, said Calderon only worked for the store for about four days. He called Calderon's actions "utterly disgusting" and said the man was fired immediately.

Alexander Wold, Crosby's lawyer in Albuquerque, said he filed the complaint in Santa Fe instead of Rio Rancho, because he thought it was better to get away from all the publicity the case has generated in that area.

Crosby said he has experienced lingering effects from the incident, but pointed out that tests for diseases such as hepatitis and HIV have come back negative.

However, Crosby refuses to eat fast food if he can't watch it being made and hasn't eaten a hamburger since the incident, he said.

"Most people think it's funny," Crosby said. "But it's definitely not funny when it happens to you."
Old 11-05-04, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That's sick, but I gotta admit that I laughed at this part:
"When Crosby showed him the Whopper, the supervisor also vomited, Crosby said." You're not the one who ate it! What a panty waist!

mmm....sputum
Old 11-05-04, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

liter of cola?
Old 11-05-04, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Roto
"When Crosby showed him the Whopper, the supervisor also vomited, Crosby said." You're not the one who ate it! What a panty waist!

mmm....sputum
I thought that part was funny also. It must have been pretty thick and mucusy for the supervisor to lose it too.
Old 11-05-04, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thats nasty.

However how is this battery of a police officer? Calling Five-O to thread 394498
Old 11-05-04, 03:52 PM
Suspended

The other cop vommitting also had me bust a laugh
Old 11-05-04, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Roto
Yeah, I think both of these guys might be in the wrong line of work.
Old 11-05-04, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How low class can you get?

I hope that kid gets his ass sued off to the point where every penny that ass-hat makes for the rest of his life goes to the cop.....
Old 11-05-04, 04:05 PM
Banned

Old 11-05-04, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When Crosby showed him the Whopper, the supervisor also vomited, Crosby said.
Luckily there were only two people in the vicinity!

Old 11-05-04, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Breakfast with Girls
That's exactly what I was just thinking. Imagine what the trial is going to be like when they show that burger to the jury.
Old 11-05-04, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sue the hell out of the bastard, but that is shitty to sue the restaurant.
Old 11-05-04, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

that damn burger punk!!!!
Old 11-05-04, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Considering all the free stuff and discounts cops get at restaurants, they should accept a loogie in their sandwich from time to time.
Old 11-05-04, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Numanoid
Considering all the free stuff and discounts cops get at restaurants, they should accept a loogie in their sandwich from time to time.

Don't bring up free food for cops around here. I got my ass handed to me in a thread where I suggested that they shouldn't.
Old 11-05-04, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My buddy is a cop and he said that his FTO will only eat at Subway if he goes anywhere in uniform. It's times like this I don't blame him.
Old 11-05-04, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think I'd be brown bagging it from home.....
Old 11-05-04, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
"Does that look like spit to you? Fuck it..."
Old 11-05-04, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It'll be interesting to see what the sentence is, he faces up to 1.5 years in jail plus a fine. Personally, I hope he is sentenced to at least 4 or 6 months in jail, that was just the wrong thing to do to anybody.
Old 11-05-04, 05:07 PM

Originally posted by dick_grayson
liter of cola?
Originally posted by Green Jello
I was thinking of the same thing as soon as I saw the thread title.
Old 11-05-04, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Brain Stew
Don't bring up free food for cops around here. I got my ass handed to me in a thread where I suggested that they shouldn't.
You did? I don't see why cops should be handed free stuff anymore than anybody else.

"Errrr, we're not the mob so we don't expect protection money but we DO expect to be given free stuff. "
Old 11-05-04, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I can picture this cop in a crisis situation.

"Freeze, punk! Police! You're under........ooh, is that blood? Oh, my word! Ooooooh." *swoon* *thud*
Old 11-05-04, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Duder
I was thinking of the same thing as soon as I saw the thread title.
Glad you guys got the reference
Old 11-05-04, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

cop should be happy.. that kid saved his life..

"This totally ruined me for burgers for the rest of my life."

well done anti-fast food crusader... move on to your next vict....ahh... nevermind.
Old 11-05-04, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by kantonburg
My buddy is a cop and he said that his FTO will only eat at Subway if he goes anywhere in uniform.
Yeah, sure.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.