Reload this Page >

Weight Gain Epidemic and the Future

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 11-05-04, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you ever wonder if things will keep going at the same rate at which they are going, with regards to the ever expanding waistlines of the average american. They say that 66 % of Adult americans are overweight or obese. Will it be 70-80 % 20 years from now?

Will it get so bad that it actually screws up the laws of natural selection, dating, and population increase? Will it get so bad that the myriad of problems that stem from obesity completely cripple the healthcare system?

Will it become.... normal, to be overweight? In other words, like in 1984 or something, if all you ever knew was a certain way of life, generation after generateion, ... would you just come to accept that as normal?

I was talking to someone about this the other day, and she said that the United States government has knowningly and deliberately planned for it to be this way, over the years, with the single purpose of continually funnleing billions and trillions of dollars through the pharmeceutical and healthcare companies. If they DIDNT want it this way, then it WOULDNT BE THIS WAY. There would be regulation. There wouldnt be a fast food restaurant every 200 feet, there wouldnt be cigarettes, tobacco, candy, alchohol, etc.. etc.. I mean, you have a choice, but they are making it pretty hard to do the right thing, dont you think? Compare how many ads you see on TV for something that is healthy for you, and how many for something that you know damn well is not, yeh, its like ... 1 in 100, respectively.

Ok, im done. Sorry about that. Got a little pissed off -

Any thoughts?
Old 11-05-04, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

How did they conduct this survey to find that 66% of the population was overweight or obese? I don't remember going to a weigh-in. In any case, I'm not too concerned about it...
Old 11-05-04, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You dont remember going to a weigh in? LOL.

By sampling a very small percentage of the entire population, from different areas, they can get an estimation of the entire percentage. Of course though, things are COMPLETELY different in the south. Especially southeast. You just dont see that many fat people in California, its like a different mindset or culture or something. In the south and southeast, people just go hog wild-

Anyways, that is not the point. The point i was making is , dont you wonder why it got so bad, so fast? And what the long term consequences of that are?
Old 11-05-04, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't wonder at all why it's gotten so bad. It's because of technology - people like to buy stuff that makes life more convenient for them and companies like to make stuff that people like to buy.
Old 11-05-04, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

anyone watch wife swap on ABC this week? that one family from florida where everyone was fat is a perfect example. all they ate was junk food and complained when the wife from california tried to feed them healthy
Old 11-05-04, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Americans got used as an example for a lecture conference I was at this morning at the Swedish National Board for Housing, Planning and Development...

The lecture was about Urban sprawl, and an example of its consequences was American's obesity and how urban sprawl contributes to it. They showed a picture of a fat woman in front of K-mart to demonstrate that Americans are fat because they only have to push a cart a few hundred feet to get to their car.

Old 11-05-04, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Technology is NOT the reason that obesity is becoming a serious problem in our country. Thats just an excuse.

The REAL reason is the food industry. Its not the computer industry, cars, gadgets, nintendo, and escalators.

The FACT is ( and I dare anyone to challenge me ) that by turning a blind eye, and allowing the food industry to become what it is ( a whorehouse of sugar filled fat laden grease fried fast food garbage ) the government has systematically and deliberately constructed a food culture that preys on the weaknesses of the average person.

Yes, people have a choice you say. Thats not the point that im making. The point is - its extremly hard to make the right choice when the wrong stuff is ALL AROUND YOU. The very point of advertising is repetition. When you see the same thing over and over and over, you just accept it. You buy it.

More comments please-
Old 11-05-04, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by muggins
Americans got used as an example for a lecture conference I was at this morning at the Swedish National Board for Housing, Planning and Development...

The lecture was about Urban sprawl, and an example of its consequences was American's obesity and how urban sprawl contributes to it. They showed a picture of a fat woman in front of K-mart to demonstrate that Americans are fat because they only have to push a cart a few hundred feet to get to their car.

Oh jeezus!! Europeans sure love to make a big deal about Fat America. GIVE IT A BREAK EUROPE!!! WE STILL RULE THE WORLD BITCHES!!!
Old 11-05-04, 09:16 AM

You tell them, GR.

We do have the world's most squeezably-soft women though.

I didn't speak up, because I fall into their obese american category...and there is no sense in playing into their mind games.

"IT'S A TRAP!!!"
Old 11-05-04, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Push a cart a few hundred feet? Screw that! Let the bag boy push. That's what they pay him for.
Old 11-05-04, 09:22 AM
Banned by request

Re: Weight Gain Epidemic and the Future

Originally posted by skiblet
Will it get so bad that it actually screws up the laws of natural selection, dating, and population increase?
This is completely alarmist. "Natural selection" isn't really something that applies to humanity.

In a nutshell, natural selection says that those individuals best suited to survive in an environment will have the most offspring. This is pretty logical. If certain members of a population have genes that allow them to survive while other members die, the surviving members get to pass their genes on. It's not a conscious thing that animals do.

Humans are a bit of a different case. Let's create two fictional people. One, Human A, is a robust male with good genes. He's smart, he's strong, he's fit. A fine catch for any lady. Our second person, Human B, has a genetic defect. He's weak, he's ill most of the time, and he would have died quite young if not for extensive medical help.

Human A decides not to have children. His genes don't get passed on. From an evolutionary standpoint, he's a complete failure. But it's his choice. Human B ends up having kids. He passes on his genetic defect. In nature, this would never, ever happen. Human B would have died before maturity and Human A would have many children. But humanity doesn't work like other species. So I don't see what an obesity trend has to do with natural selection. Human evolution doesn't entirely follow those laws as it is.

Also, historically it was seen as a sign of wealth and attractiveness to be plump. If you have more money, you can afford to eat more. All those classical paintings of fat women were done because that was the standard of beauty. Right now our standard is the polar opposite.

I also don't know how an obesity trend would affect population increase, either.
Old 11-05-04, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Roto
Push a cart a few hundred feet? Screw that! Let the bag boy push. That's what they pay him for.

I mean what the hell? Does Europe make shoppers park in the next country so they can hike in? Dumbasses.
Old 11-05-04, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: Re: Weight Gain Epidemic and the Future

Originally posted by Suprmallet

Also, historically it was seen as a sign of wealth and attractiveness to be plump. If you have more money, you can afford to eat more. All those classical paintings of fat women were done because that was the standard of beauty. Right now our standard is the polar opposite.

Also, in the days of plagues and common killers diseases having "meat" on your bones was a sign of "health" or at least "well being". It meant you were eating not only often as stated above, but also that you were eating healthy foods. A person who was "too thin" by the standards of the day was considered unhealthy. Women were also considered better "breeders" if they were shapely and "plumpish".

Last edited by Giantrobo; 11-05-04 at 09:36 AM.
Old 11-05-04, 09:34 AM
Banned by request

Re: Re: Re: Weight Gain Epidemic and the Future

Originally posted by Giantrobo
Also, in the days of plagues and common killers diseases having "meat" on your bones was a sign of "health" or at least "well being". It meant you were eating not only often as stated above, but also that you were eating healthy foods. A person who was "too thin" by the standards of the day was considered unhealthy. Women were aslo considered better "breeders" if they were shapely and "plumpish".
Yep. All true and good points.
Old 11-05-04, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

We've been californicated into thinking that the skin and bones look is normal.

Edit: I forgot to add: with silicone implants to make up for the lack of natural body fat.
Old 11-05-04, 09:56 AM
Admin-MemeCat

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Television, PC's and both parents working causing the fast food alternative to dinner are 3 major contributing factors to the obesity problem in my opinion.
Old 11-05-04, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by skiblet
Technology is NOT the reason that obesity is becoming a serious problem in our country. Thats just an excuse.

The REAL reason is the food industry. Its not the computer industry, cars, gadgets, nintendo, and escalators.

The FACT is ( and I dare anyone to challenge me ) that by turning a blind eye, and allowing the food industry to become what it is ( a whorehouse of sugar filled fat laden grease fried fast food garbage ) the government has systematically and deliberately constructed a food culture that preys on the weaknesses of the average person.

Yes, people have a choice you say. Thats not the point that im making. The point is - its extremly hard to make the right choice when the wrong stuff is ALL AROUND YOU. The very point of advertising is repetition. When you see the same thing over and over and over, you just accept it. You buy it.

More comments please-

www.wholefoodsmarket.com

they seem to be doing very well and they aren't a whorehouse of sugar and fat.
Old 11-05-04, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

skiblet, you can't dismiss technology as an excuse. I'm going by the very definition of technology - the application of science, especially to industrial or commercial objectives.

The industry being the food industry, The objective - Americans want faster, easier ways to eat food. Hence fast food, a product of technology. Drive-thrus, a product of technology.

French Fries are easy to process and sell to the masses. Plus they taste so damn good.

Combine that with laziness and technology providing ways to make life easy and you've got your epidemic.

Exercise is hard and some people don't have the motivation to do anything hard.
Old 11-05-04, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

that looks like a good store. there are none listed near me though, too bad. i see there are some in atlanta -
Old 11-05-04, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

al_bundy

www.wholefoodsmarket.com

they seem to be doing very well and they aren't a whorehouse of sugar and fat.
This is where I shop. Unfortunately, it's not very convenient and more expensive, but I figure it's worth it since they carry all the items I want, and it's all pretty fresh.

das
Old 11-05-04, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

the point is not to shop at whole foods, but to look at your lifestyle.

healthy eating means preparing your own dishes from raw foods rather then relying on some food company to do it for you. 90% of people that are overweight have no one to blame but themselves.

i like whole foods because unlike others they have fresh wild caught fish and naturally raised meat that isn't loaded with anti-biotics.
Old 11-05-04, 10:59 AM

i may be going out on a limb here but perhaps world war 2 on the pacific never happened. hiroshima and nagasaki. fat man and little boy. c'mon, you know it in your heart to be true. never happened.
it was all a plan by the government. japan has these huge sumo wrestlers over there and fdr wanted in on the action. in fact he wanted all of america ruled by these big bastards.! look at us now, we're well on our way.
Old 11-05-04, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk God

I realize that what I am about to say is not PC. I rent to a lot of welfare people. We could reduce the obese population in half by allowing food stamps to only be used for bread, eggs, meat, and vegitables.

I see people getting chips, pop, etc. all the time with their food stamp card. Take and bake pizza? Put it on the card.

People talk about how bad off our poor are, but I would bet that they are a much larger percentage of the obese than any other group, and they much more unhealthy (which is a drain in giving them medical care) because they are not eating nutritious things.

There, I said it.
Old 11-05-04, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by kvrdave
I realize that what I am about to say is not PC. I rent to a lot of welfare people. We could reduce the obese population in half by allowing food stamps to only be used for bread, eggs, meat, and vegitables.

I see people getting chips, pop, etc. all the time with their food stamp card. Take and bake pizza? Put it on the card.

People talk about how bad off our poor are, but I would bet that they are a much larger percentage of the obese than any other group, and they much more unhealthy (which is a drain in giving them medical care) because they are not eating nutritious things.

There, I said it.
Well, I am a pretty out there liberal, and I have to agree with you, but more because I don't belive that buying soda was what food stamps was intended for.

After working in grocery store for several years, I got a chance to see people buying crap and junk and stuff that wasn't good for them. I know I'm not supposed to judge, but purpose of food stamps is give your family some meals, not to load up on snacks.

If you buy meats, breads, cheese, 100% juice, I've got no problem. But you don't honestly think food stamps were created to buy Doritos!
Old 11-05-04, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

one time i saw a lady trying to buy pizza in a pizzaria with a food stamp card

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.