Reload this Page >

i did a good deed yesterday!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 11-05-04, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

since theek isn't around much lately i figured i'd post a thread about being nice. perhaps i can lure him out of hiding for a post or two to appease my tek addiction.

i was at the atm yesterday and there was someone ahead of me doing there thing as i put my check in the deposit envelope. i didn't really check them out too much so i don't know if it was a guy or girl, or get any physical description of them whatsoever. so they get done and i'm sealing the envelope and stepping up to the machine about to put my card in and realize that the welcome please insert card screen isn't there. upon further investigation it's the main menu/return card menu. i looked around me to see if i could see anyone who looked like they had just gotten done with their banking but didn't spot anyone, so i ejected their card and did my business. after i was done i went inside the bank and gave the teller the card saying it was left in the atm. i was a good boy and i felt good about it. i walked out of the bank and started thinking that i could've hit the main menu button instead of the return card button and gotten $200 out of their account. (the max withdrawal at the atm) i'm glad i didn't, kind of since i just spent over $1000 on car repairs earlier in the week.

so there's my good deed story. i thought of paul afterwards and decided to start this thread. i'm pretty sure he had a good deads thread a while back. come to think of it i should've resurrected it instead of starting one of my own. it would be nice to have one of his threads on the front page again. well, there you go.
Old 11-05-04, 03:32 AM

in the spirit of theek i just realised that i spelled deed as dead, twice. i should've waited for the two minute window to expire before editing so i could've gotten the last edited by thing to pop up.
Old 11-05-04, 03:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Good job - you did the right thing !!!
Old 11-05-04, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A couple years ago, I opened up a new account at Hickory Pt. Bank, and a short time later, I went to get money out of the ATM, when I put my card in the balance was like $8000 something. Which was great considering I only put in about $1000. I was good, and went and asked what was going on. Seems they activated my ATM card to work with somebody else's account.
Old 11-05-04, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: i did a good deed yesterday!

That was nice.

Now you can do something nasty, and still keep your karma in balance.
Old 11-05-04, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

worst. pirate. ever.

I found $20 left in an ATM once. I don't know how somebody misses that
Old 11-05-04, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Roto
That has actually happened to me twice. I started to turn it in but then I thought,
What kind of idiot forgets $20?
The kind with too much damn money.
So, I stuffed it in my pocket and went home richer.

I know, I'm a bad, bad person and I'll burn in Otter Hell.
Old 11-05-04, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm surprised you even thought to turn in the $20. I guess they could've checked the machine for the last person who used it, but when I found mine it was in a grocery store.

Finding cash isn't the same as finding the card left in there. I think you'll be ok
Old 11-05-04, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You should have taken the lump sum.....

nah - good for you.....
Old 11-05-04, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Some ATMs require the password to be entered again before another withdrawl, so you may not have been able to get anything. Plus, if the person who forgot the card noiticed a large chunk of money missing from his account, he would've notified the bank, which would have you on camera. So, not only was it a good thing you did, it was also a smart thing. You don't want to screw yourself up for $200.
Old 11-05-04, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought you were going to say you won a bet about losing weight and didn't collect.
Old 11-05-04, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I did a good deed the other day too.

There was this guy at the grocery store. He was in his 30s and had a young child with him. Anyway, I didn't shoot him in the face.

das
Old 11-05-04, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by costanza187
A couple years ago, I opened up a new account at Hickory Pt. Bank, and a short time later, I went to get money out of the ATM, when I put my card in the balance was like $8000 something. Which was great considering I only put in about $1000. I was good, and went and asked what was going on. Seems they activated my ATM card to work with somebody else's account.
That reminds me of something that happened to my sister awhile ago. She was working in a group home run by a non-profit organization, picking up a few hours while going to college. And one payday, they direct-deposited $50,000 into her checking account .

We went online and it was in her account. I joked with her about running to Mexico and living off it, but she called the organization and explained that they made a mistake. If that were me, that'd be the hardest call to make. But, she did the right thing .
Old 11-05-04, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I got laid off a few years back and the company direct deposited 6 months salary instead of 4 months salary they were going to severance me. I withdrew the money and opened another account at another bank. A few weeks later they called and asked for it back, I told them to take me to court and I never heard from them again.....
Old 11-05-04, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by das Monkey
I did a good deed the other day too.

There was this guy at the grocery store. He was in his 30s and had a young child with him. Anyway, I didn't shoot him in the face.

das
That's kind of what I was thinking. Have we sunk so low that not doing something bad = doing a good deed? If that's true, my days are filled with good deeds. Well, at least most days.
Old 11-05-04, 11:52 AM

Originally posted by Numanoid
That's kind of what I was thinking. Have we sunk so low that not doing something bad = doing a good deed? If that's true, my days are filled with good deeds. Well, at least most days.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. There's good deeds (ie--going beyond the call of duty), and there's doing what basic decency requires. Glad I wasn't the first to say it.
Old 11-05-04, 12:03 PM

costanza, the same thing happened to me last Friday.

I was at the SBC Center, in line at an ATM machine so I could enjoy an ice cold domestic () at the Spurs game, and noticed the guy in front of me didn't complete his transaction. He was in a hurry, and he didn't push the button next to "NO" (which would have answered the question "Would you like to process another transaction?"). The machine was one of those where you swipe your card, instead of inserting it into the machine.

I was with a friend, and I showed him the screen, and made a comment about how that guy was lucky someone like me was the next person in line. I only withdrew $40.
Old 11-05-04, 01:45 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Numanoid
See, I think all of the thing these people have mentioned are good deeds, mainly because I wouldn't have done any of them. I'd have absconded with $50 from the guys account, and sold his card to a bum on the street. I would have never said a word about the $50,000 deposit and would wait for them to notice (and if they didn't I'd hit the blackjack tables with it).

Because, hey, opportunities like these don't happen often.
Old 11-05-04, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Abelkems

What kind of idiot forgets $20?
The kind with too much damn money.
So, I stuffed it in my pocket and went home richer.

I know, I'm a bad, bad person and I'll burn in Otter Hell.

"I've already got a guilty conscience, might as well have the money too."
Old 11-05-04, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Otto
See, I think all of the thing these people have mentioned are good deeds, mainly because I wouldn't have done any of them. I'd have absconded with $50 from the guys account, and sold his card to a bum on the street. I would have never said a word about the $50,000 deposit and would wait for them to notice (and if they didn't I'd hit the blackjack tables with it).

Because, hey, opportunities like these don't happen often.

And we are entrusting you with the profits from Boron Cowpunch!?!
Old 11-05-04, 02:01 PM

worst. pirate. ever.

if it was cash left there you know i would've pocketed it. since it was their card i figured i'd be a good sumerian.
Old 11-05-04, 02:02 PM

Originally posted by Buford T Pusser
I thought you were going to say you won a bet about losing weight and didn't collect.
Old 11-05-04, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by costanza
if it was cash left there you know i would've pocketed it. since it was their card i figured i'd be a good sumerian.
simian, good simian
Old 11-05-04, 04:35 PM

simian, good simian

if conan was around those damn dirty apes would never have taken over! he would've crushed them and driven them before him! and i'll be damned if i wouldn't mind seeing him when he's hearing the lamentation of their women.
Old 11-05-04, 08:33 PM

good job man, we need more people like you, make sure you pass on this trait to your kids/future kids

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.