Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

About what should braces (on teeth) cost?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 11-05-04, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife wants braces, and I have fantasies about 15 year olds, so it seems like a natural. Actually, she has wanted them for a long time. I don't see much need for her to have them, but she wants them. So she went to the Orthodondist, and it looks like it is about $4500. We don't have dental insurance. The reason? It costs about $1500 a year and pays up to $1500 worth of orthodondic bills. Not much point.

So naturally, they have payment options. Pay in full, get a 8% discount. Pay with a credit card, get a 6% discount. Etc. etc.

We could swing it, but I would really rather wait about 6 months. We have paid off a car, bought a used truck with cash, bought a camp trailer with cash, bought a horse trailer with cash, and a few other things this year. The point is, we have blown a lot of cash this year and I would like to wait and let the savings grow a bit. It wouldn't take more than a year, and probably less than that, but she wants them done during Christmas Break.

Just so you know, if it were fake boobies, I would still want to wait.

Maybe we'll go to Mexico and get them done for $18.
Old 11-05-04, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Can't help you with cost, but she's at least getting those clear ones, right?
Old 11-05-04, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk God

If I could save $5 with barbed wire, she'd get those
Old 11-05-04, 12:29 AM

Old 11-05-04, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

pics? so we can assess the need?
Old 11-05-04, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk God

Not sure I have any. Most of the guys who have met her probably didn't notice anything. She claims her two front teeth make "V", and they do, but it is so slight that I have never noticed.
Old 11-05-04, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

V for victory!

Does she need them on the bottom too?

I looked into them a few years back. My bottom ones are crooked due to one tooth. The tops are okay.

But apparently the bite wouldn't be right if I only got the bottoms done. Price was a wide range. One said $1800, another said $3000, a third was closer to $4000.
Old 11-05-04, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk God

I think she plans to do the full meal deal. That is quite a spread in range. The big problem with us would be traveling for checkups, which we would have to do if we shopped around.
Old 11-05-04, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

i think mine were around $3k when i got mine a while back. i wouldn't recommend getting them tightened very close to christmastime...it might hampen your christmas dinner
Old 11-05-04, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

i had them on last year. i got the metal barckets, top and botton. the invisaline were alomost twice as expensive, but you want her to have that 15 year old look anyway . i payed $500 when i got them put on and $150 for every monthly tightening.
Old 11-05-04, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by costanza
i had them on last year. i got the metal barckets, top and botton. the invisaline were alomost twice as expensive, but you want her to have that 15 year old look anyway . i payed $500 when i got them put on and $150 for every monthly tightening.
Figuring a a monthly tightening for about 2 years, that puts you close to what I am talking about.
Old 11-05-04, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You don't have dental insurance?

You don't go in for checkups/cleanings? Fillings? Or at the least when you have a toothache? (I ain't one to suffer through a toothache, I barrel through that office door when I even feel a slight tickle underneath a tooth.)

If you do go in, you just pay the full amount of a dental visit?

There are far more options in the dental insurance game, you just have to read up on different carriers and their options, etc. You should definitely shop around.

I would do that before even thinking about starting any kind of arrangements with any huge orthodontic or dental procedure.

Although sometimes I see a few commercials on television (all locally) that state that they offer low monthly payment plans on braces. Maybe you could go to a search engine and look something up about that and see if you have that around your town.

I had braces when I was 13 to 14 years old. Couldn't tell you how much they cost though as I wasn't the one paying.

Sorry.
Old 11-05-04, 03:21 AM

Originally posted by kvrdave
... Most of the guys who have met her probably didn't notice anything. She claims her two front teeth make "V", and they do, but it is so slight that I have never noticed.

It can't be this bad...

Old 11-05-04, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

She's a beauty

Old 11-05-04, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Abelkems
She's a beauty

but why does it say UglyPeople?

some non-ugly people can be so cruel.
Old 11-05-04, 10:11 AM

The braces cost something around $2.50. The orthodontist costs a bit more.
Old 11-05-04, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by conscience
You don't have dental insurance?

You don't go in for checkups/cleanings? Fillings? Or at the least when you have a toothache? (I ain't one to suffer through a toothache, I barrel through that office door when I even feel a slight tickle underneath a tooth.)

If you do go in, you just pay the full amount of a dental visit?
The dental insurance through my wife's work (she's a teacher) is pretty poor. I get checkups about every 2 years, and they are always great. She gets them about once a year. Our boys get them on schedule. The check ups are about $75 so it has just never made sense to get covered, especially when the limit they will pay is only $1500
Old 11-05-04, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got my braces on about four months ago. I think the total cost was close to $4,500 including retainers when I am done. I paid a little over $1,000 when I got them on and pay $135/month for the next two years when I get them tightened. Then I think the retainer fee is around $350. I went with the old school metal braces, so it could be quite a bit more for the invisalign.
Old 11-05-04, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had braces about 10 years ago. i didn't wear my retainer and my bottom front teeth have misaligned a little. I asked my dentist and he said that a 6 tooth invasalign would cost me about $3500 and if I have to re-align the top too that would be about $5500. My insurance only covers half, so I probably will haev slightly crooked bottom teeth forever as I don't think it's worth even half that much money to restraighten them.
Old 11-05-04, 02:57 PM
Banned

Last edited by Green Jello; 11-05-04 at 04:13 PM.
Old 11-05-04, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 11-05-04, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk God

I talked to my mother-in-law. This is very annoying. They tried to get her to get braces when she was in highschool and she wouldn't. Her grandmother ever offered to get them for her once. But NO ONE thinks she needs them.

I made my MIL think I was hitting her up to pay for them
Old 11-07-04, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Invisalign is about $4000-5000, depending on how many trays she needs. It doesn't hurt very much to wear them, and most people don't even notice them. They double as bleaching trays, which is pretty nice (the hydrogen peroxide solution is only about $20 for several applications, cheaper than crest whitestrips). Never got braces when I was a kid because I didn't want a mouth full of metal or my cheeks torn up on the metal. Invisalign solves all of that, plus no worries about brushing or flossing. I'm almost done with the bottom teeth, top I still have a ways to go, but it's virtually no bother at all to have them, except for the monthly dental visits.

edited to add that no one thought I needed them, but I wanted to make sure that my teeth wore evenly, as my uneven bite was going to cause issues eventually. If she wants them, I say go for it, especially if, like me, she bites the insides of her cheeks a lot due to an uneven bite (I will be thrilled when that doesn't happen on an almost daily basis - while I wear the trays it doesn't happen either, so I'm already getting a taste of what those of you with an even bite take for granted.)

Last edited by WarriorPrincess; 11-07-04 at 04:03 PM.
Old 11-07-04, 04:04 PM

Originally posted by kvrdave
I talked to my mother-in-law. This is very annoying. They tried to get her to get braces when she was in highschool and she wouldn't. Her grandmother ever offered to get them for her once. But NO ONE thinks she needs them.

I made my MIL think I was hitting her up to pay for them

my sister needs them worse than i do and my parents offered to pay for them for her. she's 30 though.
Old 11-07-04, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk God

My wife is 31

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.