Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Micromanaged

Old 11-04-04, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Micromanaged

How are you managed or supervised at work? I've had various managers over the past 15 years at my job, but our new supervisor (of 3 months) is a serious micromanager and it's driving everyone nuts. We went about 6 months with no immediate supervisor... other managers would work out our skeds and deal with vacations. Other than that we are like a well-oiled machine that operates fine w/out much oversight. Now we get constant emails about what to do and where to be and what to report and how to train and who to train and on and on and on. Probably closer to what most people experience at work, but it sucks having never seen this before (and knowing how well we can do w/out it).
Old 11-04-04, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Had a boss like that once...a gun, a shovel and really good alibi and *poof* no more micromanager.

Seriously, man. That really sucks.
Old 11-04-04, 11:38 AM
fab

My last two jobs had two very different managing styles for approximately the same type of job. In my last job we were Micromanaged much as you describe and while I didn't think we required that much management, things got done and the slackers were dealt with. In my current job there is really no management and our team is definitely not a well-oiled machine and many of our team members take advantage of the situation by coming and going as they please, taking 2-hour lunches, etc. It was quite a shock for me coming from the Micromanaged job to this one, but I have adjusted and while I don't take advantage (much) I do appreciate the hands-off approach more.

--
fab
Old 11-04-04, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Get back to work. Your prescribed poo-poo period is between 10:46 and 10:48am.
Old 11-04-04, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Shazam
Get back to work. Your prescribed poo-poo period is between 10:46 and 10:48am.
heh heh... too bad I'm actually at home right now. But thanks for the permission!
Old 11-04-04, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by fab
but I have adjusted and while I don't take advantage (much) I do appreciate the hands-off approach more.
--fab
I saw a recent news article where it was mentioned that most people actually like being micro'd vs. macro'd (huh?). This was on AOL. At the end of the article there was a poll and the results were strongly weighted towards people NOT liking the micro style. But it is true that it can light a fire under people who need it.
Old 11-04-04, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I work for a micromanager, part of the time. He goes through manic like phases of micromanagement, then he will be ok. I like to ignore his emails and messages to drive him nuts when he is in these phases.
Old 11-04-04, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Joke time!

Knock Knock

Who's there?

Micromanager. Now this is the part where you say "Micromanager who?"
Old 11-04-04, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was just recently promoted into my first supervisory position and had an interesting experience with a temp we brought on board. I was promoted internally during a merger, I ended up supervising people I used to work with and reporting to the person that used to supervise all of us. The original supervisor (and still my supervisor) is a bit of a micromanager so I've been trying very hard to avoid that.

So anyway, we bring this temp on and I spend the first half day sitting with her and going over the job, it's pretty simple stuff (data entry) but the system is kind of complex. After this I barely say 20 words to her in any given day, and that includes "Morning" and "Have a nice night, see you tomorrow!"

So she's been there for a couple of weeks with me all but ignoring her, I check on her work after she's gone at the end of the day to make sure it's in properly and she's making good progress (which she is) but I do this all online and she doesn't know I'm doing it. Then there's a problem where she makes an inappropriate comment to a staff member so I call her aside to reprimand her. She goes off that she can't stand my management style, that she can't work for someone who micromanages her and watches over her so much. She says she feels like she has to watch the clock whenever she takes a break and has to rush anytime she goes to the bathroom.

This is also after I set out the rules on the first day, which included "Don't worry about going to the bathroom on your breaks or getting water or coffee or snacks or anything, you can do those anytime you need to. Also anytime you wanna just get up and walk around a bit and rest your eyes or get some fresh air feel free, I know this can be kind of tedious and can strain your eyes after awhile." Which is my standard spiel for new employees.

So I guess maybe I don't understand what micromanaging is.
Old 11-05-04, 12:25 AM
Banned

I have this now - Our previous director of Marketing, my direct supervisor (a woman - damn good pedigree at her skill to boot) was just beaten down by the "third world" mentality and "boys" club that it is in upper management at my place - Its a damn shame too because she reallly knew her stuff but it was just a matter of there was nothign that she could do that would would ever be deemed correct - she comes from a meeting with direction for a plan, She devised the strategy, off it goes to me for execution, I get it back and we show it off and its changes after changes after changes after changes after changes after changes after changes after changes after changes after changes after changes......boss says im tired of looking at it send it to so and so ..... so ans so looks at it - makes changes (a comma here, a dash there, that kind of bullshit) - we change it again, so ans so makes more changes - by this time, I dont even look at it anymore and if it winds up at teh printer's wrong and it comes back wrong its not my problem - i tell them straight out - this WAS correct 50 iterations ago - this is the kind of stuff that happenes when you keep stroking things - there has literally been no improvement in message from the last 10 set of changes and now we have to tell the printer that we need it in a rush becasue we spent a week discussing a 3 word phrase.

Then of course, she takes all teh brunt of this becasue it is ultimately her responsibility regardless of whether or not it was her fault.

She couldnt deal with it anymore and she is happily gone form there - the new guy we have now.....lemme tell you - he's been here 3 months.....I had maybe 150 emials in my inbox in the 3 years ive been here, and can count on one hand how many meetings Ive had to attend...... inside of 3 months, I now have over 600 emails and have been to more meetings in one month than I have been in 3 years and I really dont need to be there

He came in with the hope of changing things and how they worked when "Daria" had his job.........he has succumbed and now is just a huge micromanager that deals with what she daelt with before.
Old 11-05-04, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Iron Chef
Joke time!

Knock Knock

Who's there?

Micromanager. Now this is the part where you say "Micromanager who?"
I sent this joke out to a few people and like NO ONE got it. I thought it was funny....
Old 11-05-04, 04:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm micromanaged to death. And informed to death! I get called to the office to hear every frickin piece of news that pops into my managers head and that's a lot. I really don't know what's worse... I adore when she's not around.
Old 11-05-04, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Luckily in my line of work, the micromanagers are few and far between. As long as I get my stuff done, there's hardly anyone looking over my shoulder.
Old 11-05-04, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by WallyOPD
So I guess maybe I don't understand what micromanaging is.
From your story you sound like a good manager. I guess everyone is going to have differing ideas about what it is exactly. I'm not sure I'd be the best manager, but sometimes I see glaring problems I'd love to correct. Fairness being one thing. On election night there were three of us doing the exact same job.... and we pretty much do this job with the same amount of skill between each of us. One of us worked 4 shows. I did 6 shows. The third guy did 8. The person who worked 4 shows was let go by our manager FIVE hours before the rest of us while we stayed busy until 4am. I can't for the life of me figure this out. There is a fine line between wanting your employees to like and respect you or just needing to lord it over people to make sure things are done the right way.

When I have one-on-one meetings with this guy it's a one way talk. Whatever I say seems to go right over his head. Urgh. I used to get pissed off when people at my job would whine over stupid crap. It's a JOB and you should be working, but for the first time I see myself starting to turn into one of those whiners.
I thought I was alone until not long ago I heard a BUNCH of co-workers sounding as frustrated as I am. I've seen so many changes at my job over the years I know that this won't last forever. Anyway, it's probably not really as bad as I make it sound. I am grateful for the job I have.

(thanks for the little bit of venting!)
Old 11-05-04, 10:26 AM
fab

Another thing I didn't mention is that while my bosses are really too hands-off and that breeds slacking, at least the bosses recognize the people who aren't slacking when it comes time for our annual reviews. It gets really frustrating sometimes to see people seemingly come and go as they please and take tons of sick time and 2-hour lunches and never get reprimanded for it but I try not to worry too much about what other people are doing, it's not good and you only end up getting labeled as a whiner or complainer. There is one guy in our group that is very open about his stance that there are people taking advantage and unfortunately while he is correct people see him as a paranoid, complaining, whining troublemaking asshole.

--
fab
Old 11-05-04, 02:38 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Deftones, Esq
Luckily in my line of work, the micromanagers are few and far between. As long as I get my stuff done, there's hardly anyone looking over my shoulder.
Deftones: Bounty Hunter
Old 11-05-04, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have 3 levels of management (supervisor, manager and director) who all micromanage.

I get visits from all three many times during the day - and half the time I'm dealing with them, it's regarding the same issues.
You can imagine how frustrating it is to have to repeat the same conversation with 3 different people (apprarently they don't communicate amongst themselves, and I'm their focal point).

Hell, the director sometimes pulls up a chair and starts using my computer. Can't get any more micro-managed than that.
Old 11-05-04, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I answer directly to the CEO and only hear from him when there's a BIG problem. The bad part is that some problems could be avoided if I had better communication from him.
Old 11-05-04, 08:54 PM

Re: Micromanaged

Originally posted by atlantamoi
How are you managed or supervised at work? I've had various managers over the past 15 years at my job, but our new supervisor (of 3 months) is a serious micromanager and it's driving everyone nuts. We went about 6 months with no immediate supervisor... other managers would work out our skeds and deal with vacations. Other than that we are like a well-oiled machine that operates fine w/out much oversight. Now we get constant emails about what to do and where to be and what to report and how to train and who to train and on and on and on. Probably closer to what most people experience at work, but it sucks having never seen this before (and knowing how well we can do w/out it).
I have a state civil service job where my "supervisor" sleeps in his office and actually admits it and watches hockey fights on his computer while eating a cannoli.

I work weekends and to be honest, I do at most 1 hour of work on Sat and Sun. The rest of the time is spent either reading Maxim, jerking off, and eating chinese food. Or some combination of all three. There's no supervisor on the weekends. I work with my brother on the weekend and he sometimes brings in his dvd player.