Reload this Page >

Help me fight off "laziness"!!!!!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 11-04-04, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure what is exactly wrong with me. But I don't feel like doing anything nowadays. I have no motivation. Work doesn't motivate me. It takes me days if not weeks to run errands or do anything around the house. Even fun things don't inspire me. I feel like a zombie. When I'm not at work, the days seem to fly by....everyday seems the same....and nothing gets done. All I do is watch TV, eat, sleep, and play on the computer. Anybody have any ideas? I don't smoke pot or take any drugs (prescription, or "non prescription"). I'm not a heavy drinker....maybe 20 beers a month. I don't have any diseases that I know of. I think I'm just lazy!!!!! But I've never been this way. I've always been very active. Maybe I'm just getting old.
Old 11-04-04, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 11-04-04, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Doesn't exactly sound like a problem.
Old 11-04-04, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Do something to get yourself suspended.
Old 11-04-04, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow...I have to be the serious one here...damn...

I've pretty much had the same problem, but even worse. To the point where I've been unemployed for maybe a month or two, and even when I had a job, it was only a couple days a week, and eventually broke down to "on call".

How long have you been dealing with it? I've been in a real damn funk for a few years now, and much like you describe, I'm lazy to the point of immobility at times. Most days for me consist of sleep til 10, exercise (only recently started doing this just so I could say I'm doing SOMETHING), TV, computer and more TV.

Some folks may think "you got it made" or "that's the life". Others may think, you lazy fuck get off your ass. It's scary because while the brain realizes that shit needs to be done, it STILL doesn't kick in the motivation.

You sir, like I, may be depressed. Feel free to email me if you want to talk more about it, as I don't care to divulge too much in public.
Old 11-04-04, 02:03 AM

The first thing that came to mind is what harpo787 just mentioned, especially because of the "Even fun things don't inspire me" bit.

Last edited by SeekOnce; 11-04-04 at 02:06 AM.
Old 11-04-04, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk God

I have had a real hard time getting motivated to work out lately. Sucks. Let's get together and discuss it over TV and chips.
Old 11-04-04, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

TV and Chips
Old 11-04-04, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by kvrdave
I have had a real hard time getting motivated to work out lately. Sucks. Let's get together and discuss it over TV and chips.
Sounds great. Just as soon as.....
Old 11-04-04, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You can add me to the list of people that does this too. I work from home for the most part, occasionally going to the mixing stage when a movie is finished (I work as a music editor), but for the most part I'm sitting around waiting for elements or sometimes waiting for nothing at all. Unfortunately, at this point the jobs don't pay enough for me to go to a movie every day or spend money on something to keep me busy. At this point, I figure if I can keep from slitting my wrists, and still be able to work when I need to, I'll enjoy the time I have away from stress.
Old 11-04-04, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by harpo787
Wow...I have to be the serious one here...damn...

I've pretty much had the same problem, but even worse. To the point where I've been unemployed for maybe a month or two, and even when I had a job, it was only a couple days a week, and eventually broke down to "on call".

How long have you been dealing with it? I've been in a real damn funk for a few years now, and much like you describe, I'm lazy to the point of immobility at times. Most days for me consist of sleep til 10, exercise (only recently started doing this just so I could say I'm doing SOMETHING), TV, computer and more TV.

Some folks may think "you got it made" or "that's the life". Others may think, you lazy fuck get off your ass. It's scary because while the brain realizes that shit needs to be done, it STILL doesn't kick in the motivation.

You sir, like I, may be depressed. Feel free to email me if you want to talk more about it, as I don't care to divulge too much in public.
Sometimes I think it's wrong to get stuck in this pattern that I'm in, but then I change the channel to a nature show. I see all the animals just lying around all day and realize that this is perfectly natural behavior.
Old 11-04-04, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Roto
Sometimes I think it's wrong to get stuck in this pattern that I'm in, but then I change the channel to a nature show. I see all the animals just lying around all day and realize that this is perfectly natural behavior.

I forgot to mention I've got two cats (AND I'M A LEO TOO! IMAGINE THAT!), and I think I've essentially become a cat with opposable thumbs.

PS: Meow
Old 11-04-04, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I really want to encourage any of you here feeling down, blue or that you're just not enjoying life anymore to please go seek medical help. If you have no insurance or no money, please contact your local county mental health clinic or even just go to the ER - most hospitals won't turn you away.

Like others here, I suffered from depression, too. It took me a while to figure it out but once I did, I got on some good medication and was feeling better in no time. There is no need to sit at home and suffer.

Ok, I'm getting off my soap box now.
Old 11-04-04, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd suggest getting out of the house, trying to meet people, get some exercise. Those things are good for you and help you ward off depression. Find a new hobby or take a class. Stimulate your brain.
Old 11-04-04, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

depression rules!!!!!
Old 11-04-04, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by harpo787

PS: Meow
Old 11-04-04, 12:14 PM
Banned

Hey, extra movement just creates extra hunger. And then you gotta pay for all that food. Ain't that a bitch?
Old 11-04-04, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been feeling very lazy lately too, I think my problem is I'm just tired of school. Lately I don't want to do anything productive. I've always been a procrastinator, but lately it's getting pretty bad.
Old 11-04-04, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Roto

Hey....maybe you're right. But the animals do sprint frantically to find food and such. I guess it's not that much different than me jogging to the fridge and scouring for leftovers.
Old 11-04-04, 12:53 PM
Banned

Are you sad? Because it's not depression unless you're sad about it.

See, I'm much like you too. Just lazy. It's not depression, because I'm quite happy and upbeat about it, I'm just too frickin' lazy to get off my ass and go do something. Doing stuff isn't all that much more fun than not doing stuff, when you get right down to it.
Old 11-04-04, 12:59 PM
Moderator Emeritus

I sometimes wonder if it's a side effect of Internet addiction.
Old 11-04-04, 01:31 PM

This all sounds familiar, except I have to get up and go to work everyday, but once I get home, I do as little as possible. The things I do, are really just to appease the wife so I can go back to doing nothing. If she is out of town on business, I don't do anything until the day she comes back. I spend an hour or so getting the place in order.
Old 11-04-04, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Sounds like depression to me. It also sounds like my life.
Old 11-04-04, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't think its depression. I feel the sameway but I feel pretty good about it. I work 2 or 3 days a week and I usually don't look forward to it, sometimes its ok. I go to class once a week and while I really like the class I'm taking its hard for me to get myself to go, but the days where I have no class and no work are the greatest. I do absolutely nothing! I still live at home so I can afford to this often, for those that live on their own and can afford to do nothing, well I admire you my friends.
Old 11-04-04, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ohhh boooooooohooooooo so your empire lost once

TRY 86 GOD DAMN YEARS

get over it

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.