Reload this Page >

Buying "Certified Used" better?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 11-03-04, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been thinking about buying a car for a while, knowing my current one won't last forever (currently driving a 1989 Oldsmobile 98, which, while still running ok, is showing signs of it's age) and when I go to various dealer websites, I see used cars listed and some are listed as certified and some are not. Is there a quantifiable difference in the quality you get in a certfied used car as opposed to one that is not certified, even from the same dealer, or is this a glorified lable to jack the price up a little more?

Or should I just save more and buy new?
Old 11-03-04, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'd assume some kind of warranty goes along with the name.

birrman54
Old 11-03-04, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Birrman54
I'd assume some kind of warranty goes along with the name.

birrman54
I know for a fact one certified used car came with a warranty, but when I bought my current car, it also came with a warranty when I got it five years ago. It covered the engine and basically all moving parts in the engine and on the car. And I don't recall my Olds being sold as a "certified used" car. Is that the only thing that separates current Certified Used from regular used cars?
Old 11-03-04, 09:16 AM

I think that the term "Certified Used" is just a marketing ploy used by manufacturers to help their dealers move more used cars. Not that it doesn't have it's merits (because they do offer nice warranties), but first and foremost, it is a term used to make you feel more comfortable about a used car purchase.

Different manufacturers offer different incentives in their Certified Used programs, so you may want to do some research on that before just going out and buying any car that is C.U.

Some will offer warranties that run until the car is 10 years old or has 100k miles. Some only offer a certain time/mileage coverage from the moment you leave the lot.

Lexus offers one of the best programs in that they make sure you will likely not need any services on the car for a while after you have bought it. They require the dealership to do the nearest major service (15k, 30k, 60k mile inspections) plus they must put on new tires.

Good luck on your search. Just take your time, don't buy a car based on emotion that you must have that particular car, and buy something that you will feel completely happy with.
Old 11-03-04, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

"certified used" = "used"
purely a marketing term
Old 11-03-04, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

agreed.. reminds of that exchange in Tommy Boy.. "I can take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed"... ok.. not a direct quote

Originally posted by Movie_Man
"certified used" = "used"
purely a marketing term
Old 11-03-04, 05:02 PM

Marketing ploy. People are nervous about buying used cars. However, a "certified pre-owned" car seems safer.
Old 11-03-04, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

there are several advantages to certified:
-warranty
-roadside assistance
-free maintenance
-XXX-point inspection (or so they claim)

note that not all these items apply to every certified program.

with that said, certified doesn't mean that the car isn't necessarily better than a non-certified car. i had more issues with my certified car than my non-certified one.
Old 11-04-04, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also, ask your insurance agent if they can cover some of the big problems with car issues. Like towing, and a rental car.