Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Can my car survive Ft. Drum in the winter?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 11-02-04, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some of you may remember a few threads I had a while back -- over a year now -- on my 1987 Acura Integra and some of the issues I was having with it. I managed to get them taken care of and my car has been running great since then -- my brother used it for the 6 months while I was at Basic and AIT with no problems and it ran fine for me while I was on leave.

That said, I've gotten to Ft. Drum and while the weather is "holding", this place is big enough, spread out enough and isolated enough to make having a car a necessity -- unlike say Ft. Huachuca where you were next to town, a taxi ride into town only cost $3 and was $1 anywhere on post (here it's $3 on post and $10 into town).

With that in mind, I'd like to bring my car up around Christmas/New Years -- we have some more 4 day weekends before then, but I won't have any real opportunities. I'm just looking for opinions/thoughts on whether it'll be worth the trip and if so, what precautions I should plan on taking beforehand. I've never had to deal with the temperatures that they're saying we regularly get here and although they say that the roads are generally kept in great shape -- compared to NC after a snowstorm, I don't want to jump the gun.

Any and all info is appreciated.

Oh yeah, I'm still stuck in 10th Replacement Co. -- been here since Sunday a week ago -- waiting to go to 1/32 Inf (S2 shop most likely).
"Climb to Glory!"
Old 11-02-04, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I cant help you much, all that comes to mind is condolences on Ft Drum. SUCK. Did you get your eskimo weather gear? Maybe you could use that for your car if you decide to bring it. Or how about you ask your NCO, since he will probably have some advice about that when they do your initial counseling when you go to 1/32 INF.
Old 11-02-04, 10:23 PM

40 below zero is a regular occurence in that area, unfortunately. There are a few things to take into consideration before running a vehicle in those conditions. First and foremost would be a spanking new battery, clean or new battery clamps, coat them with anti-corrosive paint, test antifreeze for cold weather temps, and be sure to change the oil, and use a lower weight for easier cranking in -40 temps. Check the owners manual, it will tell you what weight is best for your car in those conditions. those 2 areas are the most important, also be sure to make sure you have cold climate windsheild washer fluid in the resevoir. And finally. be sure to keep a few blankets in the car at all times, along with a winter jacket, some light snacks like candy bars, a flashlight, perhaps a bag of salt or something to aid traction in icy conditions. That should about cover it, but the most important items are the battery and the antifreeze

Many people dont realize how important the battery cables and connectors are, but in extreme low temps,. they make all the difference in the world. A healthy battery and good connections will ensure an easy crank up in those temps.
Old 11-04-04, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Thanks for the advice. Aside from what you've already mentioned, do you think I would need to get new/different tires for these conditions? I haven't heard anything about that from folks up here yet, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

thanks.
Old 11-04-04, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
I've heard that's one of the coldests/snowiest parts of NY
if it's fairly flat with slight hills in that area all seasons with fresh tread should be fine, otherwise get true snow tires