Reload this Page >

There is no point to this.

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 11-02-04, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was watching MSNBC and saw this weird sign go by in the background around 10 am EST or so. What made it weird was the way it was layed out...kind of like this:

..............I Am
...............The
www President com
.............Of The
.............United
...........States Of
............America
(but without the ....)

So I went there and saw this letter and bolded a thing or two I thought was just odd:

14 October 2004

Dear Mr. President:

This is the first letter that I have ever written you, or any other sitting President. I am writing to ask if and when you are planning to sign S 2634, the Garrett Lee Smith Memorial Act, a youth suicide and prevention bill.

According to current statistics reported by the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention and the information I just received from the White House Clerk’s office approximately 560 Americans have killed themselves since this bill was delivered to you for signature on October 7, 2004.

My next question is simple:

What are you waiting for?

Moreover, since September 11th, over 90,000 Americans have died by suicide and your administration has led the war on terror supported by a Congress that has appropriated hundreds of billions of dollars with the stated aim of protecting American lives.

More die by suicide every year than by homicide. How much money do all branches of government, federal, state and local spend on “homicide prevention”? I have no idea what the figure is, but it is clearly in the billions.

This bill, as I understand it seeks to appropriate a mere $82 Million dollars over 3 years for youth suicide prevention measures.

I am ashamed of the policies of my government with respect to suicide awareness and prevention and I am committed to working to change them. And as a preface to the information I am about to disclose to you I will say that I am committed to working with the next administration regardless of the outcome of the election.

...I have sincere respect for you, for what you have accomplished for the people of this country and for what you have tried to accomplish for them. I love this country and its citizens and I want to help those in desperate need of it by trying to shed some light on one of the longest standing taboos in America. It is with that aim that I do what I am doing.

I am the founder of a non-profit organization named the Give to Live Foundation (www.igivetolive.org), which seeks to promote suicide awareness in American society. I am also the founder of an independent film production company based in Manhattan - iamhollywood pictures (www.iamhollywood.com)

With the aim of bringing an often overlooked issue to the forefront prior to the upcoming election I am launching a politically motivated website at:

iamthepresidentoftheunitedstates.com

Your campaign as well as Senator Kerry’s were contacted last Friday in order to request a written position paper on the subject of suicide awareness and prevention in America. I had a very good exchange of information with a representative from your campaign in the Washington office, but I have yet to receive anything back.

In addition to your position on suicide awareness and prevention in America I would like for you to address the following:

Approximately 30,000 Americans will die this year by suicide. Our government spends hundreds of billions of dollars to protect American lives. Why does our government, relatively speaking spend so little money trying to prevent suicide? And are you committed to considering creative and innovative ways to diminish this daily tragedy in America?

My non-profit organization will be issuing a press release next week and I respectfully request a response in that timeframe if possible.

Remember:

"You don't see it but you know what it is... and you know that every time you hear that crashing sound... it's a life, which is extinguished. Its not something you can get used to... And the sound was so loud."

"I just remember lookin' up thinkin' how bad is it up there that the better option is to jump?"

Within 24 hours of you reading this message over 80 Americans will "leap from the tower" to their deaths. This will continue to happen every day until something changes. There have been over 30 9/11's worth of American deaths due to suicide since the most interesting day in American history. On a more personal note, there have been over 176,000 deaths due to suicide since I flat lined in the back of an ambulance on March 2, 1998. I will have to live with that for the rest of my life.

I am doing what I am doing because I want to, because I am able to and because I am no longer afraid. Please consider helping me and this worthy cause.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely and respectfully,

Francesco Bellafante

First bolding: I love when someone has "no idea" and literally says so and then goes on to state something "clearly".

Second: Why does the government not spend more (if anything?) to prevent suicide? I'm just not sure I fully follow that at all, especially when it's followed by the third and fourth boldings, both quotes in regards to 9/11 and how people saw/heard people jumping to their deaths. If there's any sort of CLEARLY to be mentioned, it might be said here. CLEARLY these people choosing suicide did so for far different reasons than the average person does.

Fifth: I was truly stunned to read someone referring to 9/11 as "the most interesting day in American history". Interesting?!? And finally, I love the personal touch of how many suicides have occured since his own personal suicide attempt. I must say that I'm not sure that he attempted suicide, but the way that last statement is worded, it certainly seems to suggest it, although, not CLEARLY.

On another note, another link to his main site has forums in it, and sure enough, within the first 5 posts, someone's already started a thread about how to kill yourself in a variety of ways and rates them on on how manly it is, how messy, etc.
Old 11-02-04, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

ok
Old 11-02-04, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Talk about truth in advertising
Old 11-02-04, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey, I try to be as honest as I can on here at all times (except when I throw down a to show sarcasm or some such).

I saw the guy on MSNBC, saw the letter, then the forum etc. and did all the stuff for the initial post here...then tried to come up with a thread title....and realized....there's no damn point!

Although, it could be said that I didn't realized I became "Special" edition. Oh, I'm special alright.....
Old 11-02-04, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

well, i've aways been a blade man myself. ravor blade, knife, rusty nail, whatever's available at the time that'll cut the skin effectively. good times

Last edited by costanza; 11-02-04 at 03:47 PM.
Old 11-02-04, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
Originally posted by costanza
well, i've laways been a blade man myself. ravor blade, knife, rusty nail, whatever's available at the time that'll cut the skin effectively. good times
Some folks call it a sling blade, I call it a kaiser blade, mmm hmmm.
Old 11-02-04, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

mmmmmm freedom fried taters
Old 11-02-04, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by weargle
Some folks call it a sling blade, I call it a kaiser blade, mmm hmmm.