Reload this Page >

Things to do in Cazamel and Grand Cayman

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 11-01-04, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going on a cruise and those are my two stops. anyone have recommendations? The plan right now is to go snorkelling at Grand Cayman. I am planning on just going wiht some local people instead of the cruise ship (carnival). any thoughts?
Old 11-01-04, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Snorkeling, Sting Ray City @ Grand Cayman

Scuba dive @ Cozumel
Old 11-01-04, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i'm not dive certified
Old 11-01-04, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Venusian
i'm not dive certified
Then get off your ass and get certified.

Now - move it.

What are you waiting for?

Old 11-01-04, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

We went on Carnival Conquest a year ago. Did the dolphin swim in Cozumel and Sting Ray City in GC. As amazing as it was to swim with a dolphin that sting ray thing was unbelievably cool. You HAVE to do that. It's actually kind of fun with all the other tourists there because you get to hear people screaming when the rays freak them out.

Definitely do stuff outside of your cruise bookings. Two women were angry when they found out we paid $100 less per person for the dolphin swim than they did through Carnival. At GC there were people trying to hand out flyers for much cheaper snorkling trips than anything from Carnival.

Good tips can be found on www.cruisecritic.com and www.cruisemates.com

You can also book directly with Dolphin Disovery if you want to do that instead of a ruins trip or whatever else they offer. www.dolphindiscovery.com

If you want specific folks we used I'll be happy to give you more info.
Old 11-01-04, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

so you recommend the sting ray city?

anything else in cozumel that is good?
Old 11-01-04, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Why do people still take Carnival unless you are a kid on Spring Break? Just curious...
Old 11-01-04, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

break out the banana hammock and head down to the piers for a little "hustling"
Old 11-01-04, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Flashback
Why do people still take Carnival unless you are a kid on Spring Break? Just curious...
it was cheap?
Old 11-01-04, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by B.A.
Snorkeling, Sting Ray City @ Grand Cayman
Another for Sting Ray City!

This is one of the best snorkeling tours I've ever been on. The stingrays are used to human contact and they will swim up to you looking for handouts.

BTW: Grand Cayman suffered heavy damage in hurricane Ivan, so hopefully they are back in business.

Cozumel: The dolphin swim is great, but if you want to do something different (and your cruise allows enough time), the Mayan ruins are also worth seeing.
Old 11-01-04, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

so you recommend the sting ray city?
It was pretty freaking awesome. And we snorkeled on the nearby reef by the land shelf.
Old 11-01-04, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Damfino

Cozumel: The dolphin swim is great, but if you want to do something different (and your cruise allows enough time), the Mayan ruins are also worth seeing.
i've heard from others that the Mayan ruins there suck and they aren't the huge step pyramids you see in pictures. is that true? i couldnt find much info online (granted, i didn't look too hard)
Old 11-01-04, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i've heard from others that the Mayan ruins there suck and they aren't the huge step pyramids you see in pictures. is that true? i couldnt find much info online (granted, i didn't look too hard)
The Mayan ruins are a joke. We went on the "safari" jeep tour - while it was fun to tear apart a jeep in four-wheel drive and off-road a bit, it mostly just depressed the hell out of everyone on the trip because you realize how poor the region is as you travel through the city to get to your destination.

Save your money - learn to scuba.
Old 11-01-04, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Chichanitza (sp?) are the ruins you want to do in Mexico. I did it with a bud, jeeped it out there. I think the ones you are talking about are not that great, but someone may know better. Swimming with dolphins is awesome, never did the rays.
Old 11-01-04, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For us it was money first. Then it was a new boat (Conquest). Then it was sailing out of a city we wanted to visit (New Orleans).
There was hardly anyone on that boat that was college aged. Carnival doesn't suck, but I would like to try a slightly higher class boat the next time. But I wouldn't knock Carnival for it's price.
Old 11-01-04, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why, what's wrong with Carnival? We're planning on a cruise next year (never been), and were thinking about Carnival.
Old 11-01-04, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

other boards (are there such a thing?) suggest http://www.captainmarvins.com/ for the sting rays. anyone been with them?

i still have to convince my friends its better to do it off ship than on.

i'm leaving next week, i dont think i have time to get certified
Old 11-01-04, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by atlantamoi
For us it was money first. Then it was a new boat (Conquest). Then it was sailing out of a city we wanted to visit (New Orleans).
There was hardly anyone on that boat that was college aged. Carnival doesn't suck, but I would like to try a slightly higher class boat the next time. But I wouldn't knock Carnival for it's price.
Sorry, amazing how I rarely hear anything great about Carnival, nor my experience with them as well, and all of sudden everyone likes them. And yes they do cater towards college/young kids. Sure price is a big factor...that I can understand, going out of New Orleans vs , lets say Puerto Rico, it's no contest but a very smart way to put the two places in one trip if you ask me.

Personally I find them to be subpar compared to others for eg Celebrity/Princess and the best Crystal.

Last edited by Flashback; 11-01-04 at 04:58 PM.
Old 11-01-04, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sorry, amazing how I rarely hear anything great about Carnival, nor my experience with them as well, and all of sudden everyone likes them. And yes they do cater towards college/young kids.

Personally I find them to be subpar compared to others for eg Celebrity/Princess and the best Crystal.
Well, I never said they were GREAT. I said they didn't suck for the price I paid. I'm sure they cater to college kids, but the cruise I was on was waaaay heavy on +40 year-olds. I doubt that Princess would have had less kids than the cruise I was on. I'm sure a lot has to do with the port and time of year. They did, however, have a large number of people who seemed like they came from small towns (that's the nice way of putting it!).
Old 11-01-04, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by atlantamoi
Well, I never said they were GREAT. I said they didn't suck for the price I paid.
That's why I said (in my post) price can be a big factor and also said that it was smart to put two destinations into one...hey, don't get me wrong, if you enjoyed it then that's all that matters...like I always say, just my opinion...I was just surprised that a few posts in a row were saying they liked Carnival.
Old 11-01-04, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you are stopping in Grand Cayman, you can go to Hell.

No, seriously, there is a placed called Hell there that has some strang geological formations that sort of look like the floor of hell. It was neat, and you can send a post card postmarked from Hell.

Another vote for Sting Ray city.

There is also a sea turtle sanctuary where they raise giant sea turtles.

Hell:

Sting Ray City:

Sea Turtle Sanctuary:

A pretty island spot:

Old 11-01-04, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wouldn't say they suck, but the Mayan ruins at Tulum are not the famous pyramids you're thinking of, here are some links to pics...

http://www.gamhome.cc/mayan.html

http://www.cancunsouth.com/cit_tulum_ruin.html

http://www.blueimagery.com/tulum.htm

A lot will depend on your priorities since you will only have one day here, and the Dolphin swim is probably a better bet especially if you've never done it before.

Re: The issue of booking tours on shore vs. on ship:
Veteran cruisers (like myself) have already learned not to book tours on board because the cruise line adds a huge markup.
They will try to tell you that tours booked on board are guaranteed by the cruise line (and that's true), but the best approach is to follow people that did book on board and then arrange your own tours with the same tour operators. This will be easy to do because all of the tour operators are right there at the ports.
Old 11-01-04, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Veteran cruisers (like myself) have already learned not to book tours on board because the cruise line adds a huge markup.
They will try to tell you that tours booked on board are guaranteed by the cruise line (and that's true), but the best approach is to follow people that did book on board and then arrange your own tours with the same tour operators. This will be easy to do because all of the tour operators are right there at the ports.
Forgot to mention that, check out some cruise forums, find out a good tour operator where you will be going to and book through them directly. As Damfino posted, the cruise line does mark it up a lot.
Old 11-01-04, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
It's been many moons since I've been to Grand Cayman but a group of us rented Mopeds and drove around the island. Doesn't take long. It was funny because no matter who we asked directions from they all said "Stay to the left"

I agree with SunMonkey... gotta go to Hell
Old 11-01-04, 09:11 PM
Mod Emeritus

I wouldn't say they suck, but the Mayan ruins at Tulum are not the famous pyramids you're thinking of, here are some links to pics...

http://www.gamhome.cc/mayan.html

http://www.cancunsouth.com/cit_tulum_ruin.html

http://www.blueimagery.com/tulum.htm

A lot will depend on your priorities since you will only have one day here, and the Dolphin swim is probably a better bet especially if you've never done it before.

I believe they are referring to some kinda weak ruins on Cozumel. Tulum is Maya Riviera and pretty damned cool. Not sure anyone would say Tulum sucks?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.