Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Running: bad for "non-leg" sore muscles?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 11-01-04, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I have a strained muscle in my chest and the doctor has given me muscle relaxers. After a weekend of doing mostly nothing, my chest is begining to feel better, although there are still pangs of pain.

Anyway, I'm jonesin' to go back to the gym and at least do abs and run. Is that a good or bad idea? Will running or doing crunches further my injury, or am I save with those activities?
Old 11-01-04, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

imo, i would not do either.

believe it or not, abs do get somewhat worked or used.

as for running, try walking, not as strenous but still exercise.
Old 11-01-04, 10:16 AM

When I injured my lower abdominal muscle a few months ago, my doctor told me to lay off the weights for 2 weeks, but that light cardio exercise would be okay. The chest would be even less risky than abs, but I could be mistaken.
Old 11-01-04, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm just worried that moving my arms back and forth might be bad, but man, I'm so ready to stop relaxing. I mean, a guy can only sit on his butt for so long. Still, I'd hate to agrivate my muscles and be forced to sit even longer.

ARGH!
Old 11-01-04, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I had a nasty chest wall injury earlier this year. Try either walking with little arm movement or head down to the pool and try some gentle swimming.

I hate sitting around, too, but it's only going to get worse if you don't take it easy for a few days.

Feel better soon!
Old 11-01-04, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Running (along with most other exercise) is unhealthy any way. Pain / sore muscles are a natural way for your body to say "Ouch, you're hurting me." Like a little kid who is abused when they are young, YES... your body can toughen up and learn to get through the pain. But you will end up with a sad, hurt body that will take years of treatment before it can learn to live a more healthy, exercise-free life and realize that it's not it's fault. It's yours.

Join me and the citizens against body abuse by purchasing a new entertainment center and some beers today.
Old 11-01-04, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hahahaha. Thor, you are awesome. I needed a laugh, and now (apparently) I need a beer too.
Old 11-01-04, 11:35 AM

James, I felt the same way during those two weeks. I so badly wanted to go and do some weightlifting. But, I knew that if something bad happened as a result of not waiting like my doctor recommended, then I would regret that even more.

Talk to your doctor if you can. I would make a decision based on his/her advice, that way you can blame the doc if something else happens.
Old 11-01-04, 11:42 AM

I've run with sore back and pec muscles and it didn't seem to make things worse. In fact, I would say it helped loosen me up a bit. But these weren't "injuries," just light soreness. YMMV.
Old 11-01-04, 12:40 PM

Well, soreness really means nothing. It neither hinders performance nor indicates anything else. But soreness doesn't equal pain from an injury. You just have to ask yourself if this pain is being hurt or being injured. If it just hurts, then go running and deal with the pain, but if there is extrodinary pain to the point you think you may be reinjuring yourself then that is a good time to use the stationary bike or something similar.