Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Midwest Otters- what's with the pre-set Trick-or-Treating times?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-31-04, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I grew up in New York, went to college / grad. school in the Midwest (Wisconsin and Iowa), and again live in New York.

When I lived in WI and IA, there was always a predetermined time that kids were allowed to go trick or treating. It would be on the local news... some towns would have 5:00-7:00 PM, another might have 6:00-8:00 pm, etc. You were only supposed to go trick-or-treating during these times.

What's with that? Is this common? Here in NY, on Halloween, you just go trick-or-treating whenever you want that afternoon/evening, for as long as you want (within reason). Who else has this "scheduled" trick-or-treating where they live?
Old 10-31-04, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Our neighborhood association sets as 6-8 PM, October 31. I'm not even sure it is the same in every sub. Last year, the cops drove through about 8:02 and chased everybody off the street -- never seen that before.

The whole neighborhood turns off their porch lights at 8:00 PM though to mark "it's over." The neighborhood kids are all done by 7:00 or 7:30, then it's big kids bussed in from other neighorhoods, so I'm glad to see it end promptly at 8:00.
Old 10-31-04, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Usually just as it's getting dark. There's a term I've coined for this: dusk.
Old 10-31-04, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Midwest Otters- what's with the pre-set Trick-or-Treating times?

Originally posted by Dave7393
I grew up in New York, went to college / grad. school in the Midwest (Wisconsin and Iowa), and again live in New York.

When I lived in WI and IA, there was always a predetermined time that kids were allowed to go trick or treating. It would be on the local news... some towns would have 5:00-7:00 PM, another might have 6:00-8:00 pm, etc. You were only supposed to go trick-or-treating during these times.

What's with that? Is this common? Here in NY, on Halloween, you just go trick-or-treating whenever you want that afternoon/evening, for as long as you want (within reason). Who else has this "scheduled" trick-or-treating where they live?
It wasn't always like this, at least not in Iowa and Nebraska. Growing up, we went after dark on Halloween. For many years now though, times have been pre-set, as well as days some years.

I think the main excuse for this is safety concerns and sadly I only see it spreading and not going back to normal. Hell, last night in my town the mall had their trick-or-treat during the city time and most parents lazied out and took their kids to the mall and not around neighborhoods.
Old 10-31-04, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I've spent my entire life in Illinois, and I agree - it's asinine. Not only does the Trick-or-Treating window seem to have gotten much smaller over the years, it also has been moved to much earlier in the afternnon/evening. When I was a kid, the hours were something like 6 PM - 10 PM. which gave you plenty of darkness time. Now, it seems, the intent is to get everyone home before dark. L-A-M-E.

It's just another example of the pussification of Halloween. Halloween used to be about demons, and witches, and zombies. Now you're lucky if you get a single Dracula amongst the 257 Spongebobs.
Old 10-31-04, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by Numanoid
When I was a kid, the hours were something like 6 PM - 10 PM. which gave you plenty of darkness time. Now, it seems, the intent is to get everyone home before dark. L-A-M-E.
Exactly! As soon as it would start getting dark, that was the signal to head out. How else are you gonna see all the cool displays and stuff? Daylight tricks-or-treats isn't very scary.

Gotta suck being a kid nowadays.
Old 10-31-04, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

5:30pm to 10pm (ghetto folks seem to come later) here in Nebraska.
Old 10-31-04, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I grew up in Minnesota (trick-or-treated there from 91 to 96), and I have never even heard of the concept of a trick or treating window. We'd go out when it got dark, and then stayed out till our legs got tired. Usually we'd haul in about 11 pounds of candy in that time... if there's only a 2 hour window, you'll be lucky to crack 6 pounds!

We even trick or treated at night in 91 when it was blizzarding.
Old 10-31-04, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Do they enforce these times? Are there cops standing around at 8:01 handing out tickets to seven-year-olds?
Old 10-31-04, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

No. People play Deputy and turn off their lights and don't answer their doors.
Old 10-31-04, 06:00 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd put it down to the high percentage of people in the Midwest descended from German immigrants. Things are very orderly here.
Old 10-31-04, 06:13 PM

I used to trick or treat at night, and I thought everone else did as well. That's one of the reasons I was so confused when I saw the movie ET for the first time and all the kids in it were out trick or treating in broad daylight. It pulled me out the movie and I was unable to enjoy the remainder of the film!

~Jon
Old 10-31-04, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

i just talkded to my parents, in michigan, and they said trick or treat time was 3pm-5pm. they don't want the kids out after dark, which is like 530ish up there.
Old 10-31-04, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by costanza
i just talkded to my parents, in michigan, and they said trick or treat time was 3pm-5pm. they don't want the kids out after dark, which is like 530ish up there.

birrman54
Old 11-01-04, 12:41 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by Wazootyman
I grew up in Minnesota (trick-or-treated there from 91 to 96), and I have never even heard of the concept of a trick or treating window. We'd go out when it got dark, and then stayed out till our legs got tired. Usually we'd haul in about 11 pounds of candy in that time... if there's only a 2 hour window, you'll be lucky to crack 6 pounds!

We even trick or treated at night in 91 when it was blizzarding.
Yes exactly. I'm in MN too. I'd say 6-7 is peak time. I've never heard of any town saying what time you can go out tho, it's just common sense to go out when it's getting dark.

They trick or treat in the middle of the day in NY? What the hell is up with that?
Old 11-01-04, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
They trick or treat in the middle of the day in NY? What the hell is up with that?
It starts in the afternoon, if it's a school day, I'd say that the kids come home, change into costume, and go out pretty much right away.

If it's a weekend, early afternoon until whenever (not unreasonably late, ofcourse, but certainly no pre-set time like some of the above people mentioned).

Doesn't sound so crazy to me.
Old 11-01-04, 03:47 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by Dave7393
It starts in the afternoon, if it's a school day, I'd say that the kids come home, change into costume, and go out pretty much right away.

If it's a weekend, early afternoon until whenever (not unreasonably late, ofcourse, but certainly no pre-set time like some of the above people mentioned).

Doesn't sound so crazy to me.
Seems crazy to me. The school day one isn't out of the norm, but usually kids will wait for their parents to get home, so it starts at 6ish? The early afternoon is not a great way to do it, I have stuff to do during the weekend, not sit by the door all day and hand out candy, which means kids will hit a lot of empty houses.

5-7, it just makes sense.
Old 11-01-04, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My city has the time set between 6-8 pm and if you are participating you turn your front porch light on. I don't remember the time period being so strict when I was a kid. It's so pathetic now that the nearby county seat only has a Halloween Parade and no trick-or-treating. The people that live in that town now have to bring their kids to the neighboring towns.
Old 11-01-04, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

We don't have a preset time, but the kids pretty much came out from 6-8.
Old 11-01-04, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
The school day one isn't out of the norm, but usually kids will wait for their parents to get home, so it starts at 6ish? The early afternoon is not a great way to do it, I have stuff to do during the weekend, not sit by the door all day and hand out candy, which means kids will hit a lot of empty houses.

5-7, it just makes sense.
Alot of elementary school kids don't seem to wait for their parents to get home (they either go with a big group of friends after school, or one parent who happens to be home after school goes with the bigger group, etc)-- this is why it seems to start right after school lets out.

I started w/my kids at around 2:00 yesterday on a beautiful afternoon here (mid 70s, sunny). More than 90% of the houses my kids went to had people giving candy, even during the day. It's pretty easy to tell who's home/who's not (the vast majority of houses seemed to have someone there anyway). So it may not work where you are, but weekend daylight trick-or-treating certainly works here.

The worse time I ever saw was in the early 1980s (the Tylenol tampering scare, the "pins in candy" scare, etc). Trick-or-treaters were pretty sparse, regardless of the time of day.