Reload this Page >

Remember me this.

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Remember me this.

Old 10-30-04, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remember me this.

I was thinking back on being a child. Remembering some of the things that I did. Looking at my son and wanting him to recall fondly things that he does with both his Mom and his Dad. And looking at the new addition to my signature.

Will you tell me one thing you did with either or both of your parents when you were a child? Something you remember with a smile or a laugh. Or just something you remember well.

Thx.
Old 10-30-04, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My dad and I used to throw around a baseball. I was about nine, and he was trying to improve my skills, since I was the catcher for a softball team. Didn't do much good - I never was a serious sports competitor - but I remember him doing it.

My dad and I also watched Star Trek together. This happened a lot more when I was in junior high/early high school, since these were the golden years of ST:TNG ('87-'91 or so.)

My mom and I watched movies together for a while. I went through a brief Hitchcock phase, and she always like them, so we went through Psycho, The Birds, and a bunch of others.

I know my parents spent a lot of time educating me, but I don't really remember that. I do remember the leisure-time activities we undertook together.

- David Stein
Old 10-30-04, 11:46 PM
Banned by request

I remember my parents wouldn't let me see Batman when it came out in 1989, so I forced my dad to take me to the first showing of Batman Returns when it came out. It was a real nice father/son outing.
Old 10-31-04, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by sfsdfd
.... I know my parents spent a lot of time educating me, but I don't really remember that. I do remember the leisure-time activities we undertook together.

- David Stein
A very well put point. Made me smile.
Old 10-31-04, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sadly, what my parents did to me later in my life over shadows the fond feelings I had for them when I was younger. Eventually though, I will get over it.
Old 10-31-04, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by sfsdfd
My dad and I also watched Star Trek together. This happened a lot more when I was in junior high/early high school, since these were the golden years of ST:TNG ('87-'91 or so.)
- David Stein
Huh. I guess it's a complement that I have always pictured you much older (at least maturity wise).
Old 10-31-04, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My Dad used to take me to hockey. That is the one memory of us together that I remember well. There were times where the games were at 6:00AM and he would get up early and take me down there. And come back to pick me up when I was done.

As I have gotten older and had a son, it is with better understanding of what he did then. And appreciation for it.
Old 10-31-04, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
When I lived in Arizona, the family would pack into a station wagon and pull a travel trailer up to visit Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Park. We would hit other parks along the way.

My dad designated me The Navigator. I always sat next to him. He would always count on me to get the family to the destinations. To this day I'm still great at directions and used to spend time just looking through an atlas.
Old 10-31-04, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I always remember the times we played catch. There's just something about that...

He'd also take me on little daytrips or overnights. Those were always cool.
Old 10-31-04, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I have great memories about spending time with my parents, but the ones I really remember started when I was 12-13 years old.

My parents have always been there for me, but something that stands out is my father's total support of my lacrosse career. I think he missed a total of 3-4 of my lacrosse games....ever. 10 years of lacrosse (middle school, high school, and college). He also saw many of my off-season indoor box games, and box tournements. What is so astounding about this was his work schedule was 7 days a week 12+ hours a day. He traveled from NJ to FL every week for a few years...but he would schedule all of his trips around my game schedule.

When I was in college, he took a year off from work and following my college lacrosse team around. (It is important to note that my mother made at least 90% of my college lacrosse games, and was also a huge supporter of everything I did) "Home Games" for them were 3 hours away, and some away games were in VA, DC, NC, FL, etc.

My father use to tell me that watching me play was one of his favorite things to do. I never realized how much it meant to me until my last collegiate lacrosse game. I came off the field and he was standing there with my mom. It was a really sad, and happy moment at the same time. My parents came to all of my games, even if I wasn't playing. (I had an ankle injury my frosh year and was sidelined for a few games...but they still came to support the team. My last 2 years on the team were tough because I wasn't a starter anymore, but they still came....and supported me just as much)

I couldn't make it to my alumni game this year, but I definately am going to make it work next year. My dad (and myself) miss lacrosse too much for me not to make the effort.

-pedagogue

ps. Over the past year or two I switched roles with my father. I now travel up to NJ to watch my father play in his softball league, basketball, etc.
Old 10-31-04, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

ped it is just staggering to imagine how hard and how much effort it must have taken to make all those games. And I love the role reversal now.
Old 10-31-04, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Preacher
ped it is just staggering to imagine how hard and how much effort it must have taken to make all those games. And I love the role reversal now.
Yeah, my parents rock. They saw almost all of my sporting events...minus shot put.

I threw shot-put for 2 years in high school....but I told my parents not to come because it was boring. I was doing shot-put because it was good off-season training for football and lacrosse. They suprised me and showed up to the State Tourney...which was great. I placed 8th in the state (IIRC), which I guess is pretty good considered we had 2-3 of the top shot putters in the nation at the event....so the rest of us were really competing for 4th place.

-pedagogue
Old 11-01-04, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

One of the other moments is my Dad trying to get me to fish. Sorta from the other side of the equation. Never had too much success at it. The last time he tried I was busy off to do something with some friends. Perhaps when we got older, but we never found the time. Events have to match the kids and to sit in a boat watching for something to happen just did not seem fun.

Lately it is seeming more appealing.
Old 11-01-04, 01:17 AM

wow, i have too many memories to list but i will narow it down to a few

mom: when i was in high school, i was the only kid at home (older sisters in college). since i had a crazy schedule (left for school at 6:45, came home after sports practice around 6 just in time to grab my gear for club sports practice until about 10. came home and studied. mom would always say, "i'll buy if you fly" which was our code to go to wendy's and grab a frosty. we would sit there and talk while waiting for the frosty to melt. we also were the slowest eaters in our family so many times, it was just us two left at the dinner table--that was when some of our best conversations were. my mom and i used to be really close. but, with me moving out and her having 6 grandkids, that has changed, which is sad. every once in awhile i get a glimpse of the closeness that existed but not as often as i wish it occurred.

dad--my dad had to make do with 3 daughters--no sons. but, in our defense, we're kick ass chicks! i remember my dad taking us fishing and being so patient with us, carrying me in/out of cars on road trips (until i got to be the big mo' fo' i am now), and working around the house together. i was his little "gopher" but i loved it. we would always go on random "shopping trips" which consisted more of an hour drive to pick up some remote thing on sale that we didnt even need. i loved those little outings with my dad. but the one activity that made everything special was working on cars--neither of my sisters would ever do that with him. it was a "just us" activity.

like ped, my parents supported my sports like crazy. they would often drive 6-7 hrs to a home game on a weeknight, watch us play, then drive home (sometimes leaving as late as 11 pm--we tended to play a lot of 5 game matches, cruel murphy's law, i guess) and still made it to work. since they were always at my games and it was a constant, i didnt realize how special it ws until they missed a game.

my parents rock and i can only hope to be as good of parents to my children as they wre to me.
Old 11-01-04, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by solipsta
I always remember the times we played catch. There's just something about that...

He'd also take me on little daytrips or overnights. Those were always cool.
I remember telling my mom about the time solipsta got a processed cheese slice for Halloween and she laughed and laughed. *sigh* Good times.
Old 11-01-04, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Cool bowling story
For a few years my family went bowling every Sunday. None of us ever broke 200, but we had fun. D300 just has to get the high score at everything

After we moved to the suburbs we phazed out the bowling since we didn't live as close to the cool, kitchy Hawaiian themed bowling alley. The new tradition was to go Downtown every weekend to this hole in the wall pizza place called Abruzzi's. It's still the best pizza I ever had. The first time my parents went there the chef burned the pizza, so he made them another one for free. Surprisingly, that guy made a damn fine pie So we started going there all the time and got to know Jeff the pizza chef and the cranky waitress Diane They were great. Unfortunately, Jeff got busted for drugs and went to jail. We kept going, but the other chefs weren't as good. They gave him his job back when he got out of jail, but he wasn't there for very long and we slowly quit going back A year or two later they tore the place down anyway to make way for Planet Hollywood and Nike Town
Old 11-01-04, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

My dad took my step-mom, me, my older bro,and my step sis snow skiing in Colorado (4 times, first time was Christmas 1986) sorry no pics, well there are but I lack a scanner Good times!!!!!!
Old 11-01-04, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by krkuhl
... mom: when i was in high school, i was the only kid at home (older sisters in college). since i had a crazy schedule (left for school at 6:45, came home after sports practice around 6 just in time to grab my gear for club sports practice until about 10. came home and studied. mom would always say, "i'll buy if you fly" which was our code to go to wendy's and grab a frosty. we would sit there and talk while waiting for the frosty to melt. we also were the slowest eaters in our family so many times, it was just us two left at the dinner table--that was when some of our best conversations were...
Making sure there is a time in the day for talking. In private with less interruptions. I think it is an important one.
Old 11-01-04, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will always remember my parents hauling my sister, brother and I around Western Europe (in one of those old Toyota minivans) over a three year period during the late '80s. After my brother and I were born, my dad made a point of it to never live on base where ever we lived so that we would soak up the local culture, particularly in Turkey and West Germany. We visited countless museams, castles, cities, etc. around the South of Germany, Belgium, the Netherlands, Western Austria, Northern Italy. I haven't been there in over fifteen years, but my love of Europe is still there. I hope to be able to do the same for my family.

After we moved back to the States, he did the same thing across the Northwest/Great Plains/Midwest and in Washington D.C. I remember during the Great Flood of '93 he got so sick of hearing about the flood and all of the havoc that it was wreaking that he decided to take a month off of work and take us on a month long road-trip. One of the greatest vacations ever.

Last edited by B.A.; 11-01-04 at 09:22 AM.
Old 11-01-04, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

bump to put a nice thread on the first page.
Old 11-01-04, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I recall when I was in about the 5th grade and we had to lip sync in class, and my mom and I in her room listening over and over again to the Easles "Take It Easy" to be able to write down and figure out all of the lyrics.
Old 11-01-04, 04:04 PM

My father use to wake me up on the weekend and ask if I wanted to go to the "bookstore". The bookstore being Strand in NYC. I always went because I didn't want to hurt his feelings and the latest, greatest nintendo game was so much more appealing than an old, dusty, used bookstore.

Later in life when I was studying at NYU and in Strand browsing for a book, I realized just how special those hour long drives had been and how great it was that my dad shared his hobby with me.
Old 11-01-04, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was 13 and playing left field for my pony league baseball team. My dad got home from work every day at 7pm and my baseball games started at 5pm so he'd never see me play. One game in the bottom of the last inning I made a diving catch on a blooper hit to me and threw out the runner tagging at home to save the 1-run lead we had, ending the game. After all my teammates piled on, I see my dad in the stands and he told me he left work early to see me play.
Old 11-01-04, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Roto
bump to put a nice thread on the first page.
Old 11-01-04, 04:31 PM

November always brings back a flood of great memories. Mostly because, every year, Thanksgiving was the one day my parents would release me from the cage in the basement and allow me to eat with the rest of the family.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.