Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Al Jolson should have died hanging from his testicles.

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-30-04, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just look at the prick. Ok first off I know his movies with "blackface" were done around 1925 but still... I'm so ashamed of the human race when I remember shit like this.

From one of his "fan websites":

"Al Jolson died after sundown on October 23, 1950, which corresponded to the Hebrew date Cheshvan 13, 5711. This year, Cheshvan 13 falls on Thursday, October 28, 2004. Jolson fans of the Jewish faith are encouraged to honor his memory with the recitation of the Kaddish on this day if possible, and all devotes of the World's Greatest Entertainer can light a memorial candle before sundown on Wednesday, October 27, 2004, to the memory of the Immortal Al Jolson."

http://www.jolson.org/

Remember Sammy Davis Jr.? At least he was a real person and a much better entertainer than that piece of shit.

Sorry for my rant, it was my mistake of accidentally watching this guy's bio on TV 30 minutes ago.
Old 10-30-04, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
You mean Al Jolson wasn't really black?
Old 10-30-04, 11:06 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for sharing your feelings with us.
Old 10-30-04, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What the hell?
Old 10-30-04, 11:10 PM
Banned by request

Get off your high horse.
Old 10-30-04, 11:13 PM
Premium Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Al Jolson should have died hanging from his testicles.

Originally posted by Darkfriend
Just look at the prick.
Post pics of yourself?

kthx!
Old 10-30-04, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Suprmallet
Get off your high horse.
Hmmm should I bite?

I'm just surprised that this was tolerated... I can never experience being a black person in 1925 but it must have been pretty insulting learning about that.
Old 10-30-04, 11:17 PM
Banned by request

Do you think everyone who appeared in blackface should be strung up by their balls? That would be just about every vaudeville entertainer turned actor of the period. It's not a great thing, but those were different times and the entertainers shouldn't be blamed for it.
Old 10-30-04, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
oooookay.
Old 10-30-04, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Suprmallet
Do you think everyone who appeared in blackface should be strung up by their balls?
No, they're already dead... From what I've seen of Jolson's performances in blackface it's basically a stereotyped "happy black man dancing and singing" routine that sucks.

Again, I'm just surprised there wasn't a riot over this.
Old 10-30-04, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Um.. if a black person ever spoke up back in those days, there was a lynching.
Old 10-30-04, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If I saw P. Diddy in "whiteface" singing Barry Manilow I would be outraged
Old 10-30-04, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So it was wrong for Eddie Murphy to do it?

Old 10-30-04, 11:38 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
You must really hate Jar Jar Binks.
Old 10-30-04, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
No, they're already dead... From what I've seen of Jolson's performances in blackface it's basically a stereotyped "happy black man dancing and singing" routine that sucks.

me and my homie tron are waiting for our reparations for what those ******'s did back then.

Damn, that word still censored on the board? That be crazy.
Old 10-30-04, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's rarely a good idea to judge the people of yesterday by the standards of today. And God only knows how the actions we take today will be viewed tomorrow.
Old 10-30-04, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by devilshalo
So it was wrong for Eddie Murphy to do it?

*ahem* *ahem*

Old 10-30-04, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

US History much?

http://lcweb2.loc.gov/ammem/aap/timelin3.html
Old 10-30-04, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Who are you replying to? I'm not sure what you're getting at. Michael Jackson was born in the 1950s.

Old 10-31-04, 12:16 AM

By all accounts, Jolson wasn't a racist, and his use of blackface was driven by a need for a mask to overcome his insecurities, rather than an attempt to be demeaning.

I think you do have to assess him in the context of the times. An entertainer today using blackface would either have racist intent or be completely ignorant. Back then, it would be possible to use blackface, and not be truly racist since it wasn't viewed by society the same way it is now.
-------------

http://www.ferris.edu/htmls/news/jimcrow/links/jolson/

Was Jolson a racist? Although he was guilty of many faults, Jolson showed no overt signs of ethnic hatred. Indeed, the songwriter and performer Noble Sissle, a longtime partner of the ragtime pioneer Eubie Blake, recalled Jolson's unprompted act of kindness after a Hartford restaurant refused to serve the two black musicians. A local newspaper mentioned the incident, and, Sissle later recalled: "To our everlasting amazement, we promptly got a call from Al Jolson. He was in town with his show and even though we were two very unimportant guys whom he'd never heard of until that morning, he was so sore about that story he wanted to make it up to us." The next evening, Jolson treated Sissle and Blake to dinner, insisting that "he'd punch anyone in the nose who tried to kick us out."

Jolson's own reasons for adopting blackface were more prosaic. After struggling as a young man to make his mark in vaudeville, Jolson tried the burnt-cork makeup, almost out of desperation, in late 1904. A fellow performer had counseled him that wearing blackface was like putting on a mask — one looked, and even felt, more like a performer. The advice proved tremendously helpful: Jolson was energized by the new look; his stage demeanor became markedly more spontaneous, and audiences responded with enthusiasm. From that time on, Jolson continued to use burnt-cork makeup, perhaps not through any desire to degrade blacks, but simply to enhance the theatrical qualities of his performances.
Old 10-31-04, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Al Jolson should have died hanging from his testicles.

Just look at the prick. Ok first off I know his movies with "blackface" were done around 1925 but still... I'm so ashamed of the human race when I remember shit like this.

From one of his "fan websites":

"Al Jolson died after sundown on October 23, 1950, which corresponded to the Hebrew date Cheshvan 13, 5711. This year, Cheshvan 13 falls on Thursday, October 28, 2004. Jolson fans of the Jewish faith are encouraged to honor his memory with the recitation of the Kaddish on this day if possible, and all devotes of the World's Greatest Entertainer can light a memorial candle before sundown on Wednesday, October 27, 2004, to the memory of the Immortal Al Jolson."

http://www.jolson.org/

Remember Sammy Davis Jr.? At least he was a real person and a much better entertainer than that piece of shit.

Sorry for my rant, it was my mistake of accidentally watching this guy's bio on TV 30 minutes ago.

Given that your rant quotes extensively to establish that he was Jewish, some people might be led to believe that your rage is more anti-Semetic than anti-blackface.
Old 10-31-04, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Guess we should hang Ted Danson by his balls then huh? Or maybe Dave Chappelle for impersonating white people?
Old 10-31-04, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Remember that other thread a few months back where everyone said Darkfriend was racist against black people because of his incident on the subway?

I think it was also on a saturday night!
Old 10-31-04, 12:28 AM

Originally posted by Aldarion

A local newspaper mentioned the incident, and, Sissle later recalled: "To our everlasting amazement, we promptly got a call from Al Jolson. He was in town with his show and even though we were two very unimportant guys whom he'd never heard of until that morning, he was so sore about that story he wanted to make it up to us." The next evening, Jolson treated Sissle and Blake to dinner, insisting that "he'd punch anyone in the nose who tried to kick us out."

If correct on any account then perhaps
Darkfriend should be a little less "ashamed of this entertaining piece of shit" and open his mind to the fact that not everything he sees on tv is the whole truth and what will people think of you in 80 years?
Old 10-31-04, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm so ashamed of the human race when I remember shit like this.

Here is my rant. People who say that they are so ashame for others actions should be shot into the sun. I see no reason why you should feel any shame for the actions of other than yourself. You stick to your own issues and the fucks up you have done. I'm sure there is more then enough to keep your shame to yourself and let those who committed the terrible crime you feel they did worry about it themselves.

Chances are the human race doesn't give a fuck if you are ashamed of it or not. People did fucked up shit in the past. deal with it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.