I have termites.

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

I have termites.

Old 10-30-04, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have termites.

Well...shit.

They just broke through in the window seal/ledge at the bottom of the window in the kitchen. I'll be calling someone Monday.

I should've know better. The neighbors had them a couple of years ago and had to get Sentricon installed, cost them a couple thousand dollars, I think.

I live in the Dallas area. How much do you think I am in for? Do I need to look out for places like Terminix trying to rip me off?

Any recommendations?

I'm not a happy camper right now.
Old 10-30-04, 11:19 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
No offense, but you're probably fucked.
Old 10-30-04, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by wendersfan
No offense, but you're probably fucked.
Old 10-30-04, 11:33 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Well, in all seriousness, termites are just about the worst thing that can happen to a homeowner. Earthquakes and flooding are preferable.
Old 10-30-04, 11:37 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I had termites once, not a real big deal. They hadn't done much damage by the time I spotted them.

I got some bids from big companies (such as Terminix) but found a guy who did the same work (I asked what they would be doing in detail) for half the price and he offered a longer guarantee. It ended up costing $1000 and I haven't seen them around again.
Old 10-31-04, 12:52 AM
Banned

Here's what I do to prevent it. Buy a gallon of this at Home Depot.

Mix in a gallon jug or plastic bottle, half used motor oil or transmission oil, a quarter kerosene, and add the remaining part the Jasco stuff. Shake it up good and you're ready to paint it on the wood.
Old 10-31-04, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by wendersfan
No offense, but you're fucked.
fixed
Old 10-31-04, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just make sure you get several quotes and don't go with the lowest. Also make sure you talk to neighbors to see who they deal with. The termite industry is very sketchy and and there are many shady places of business. Check with the BBB and just so you know if you get a liquid treatment you probably WILL NOT get a damage warranty. Most places only cover damage with in ground station (Sentricon) systems.
Old 10-31-04, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Termites are also attracted to wet wood. So make sure you don't have any plumbing leaks, standing water around wood, that your gutters are not clogged and effectively taking water away from your house, etc, etc.
Old 11-01-04, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Sdallnct
Termites are also attracted to wet wood. So make sure you don't have any plumbing leaks, standing water around wood, that your gutters are not clogged and effectively taking water away from your house, etc, etc.
Termites are not attracted to wet wood. Termites need moisture but are not drawn to wet wood. I believe carpenter ants are though.

We had termites too. Get a few quotes. Do some research using your favorite DIY sites first. By doing your research, you'll know which contractor, local or chain are trying to snow you. Everything depends on the type of house, where the infestation is coming from and the degree of infestation. And whomever you go with, check out BBB and references.

We had to have the whole perimeter of the house (it's a partial slab) drilled. It cost under 1K.
Old 11-01-04, 01:34 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: I have termites.

Originally posted by Alvis
I'm not a happy camper right now.
pics? sketches?
Old 11-01-04, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Cipermethrin is your friend. It will also kill cockroaches, ants, spiders, and small birds. Ah, peace and quiet.