Reload this Page >

Medical residency interviews.

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-29-04, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed in this thread people were talking about residency interviews. I was wondering where people are interviewing and for what kinds of programs. Is seems like we have a bunch of medical students and I was wondering what's popular these days.

Maybe some of you folks can meet while doing interviews.
Old 10-30-04, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Applied to 67 G Surg programs...Hawaii, most of the West and East Coasts, Chicago, Atlanta, DC, Phoenix, Las Vegas, Denver. Heard from 24 so far.
Old 10-30-04, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

67 is a lot!!!

I'm doing anesthesia. Applied to all west coast programs.
Old 10-30-04, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm applying in Emergency Medicine. I'm probably going to apply to 14 or so programs. I'm restricted by location because my wife is a third-year student.
Old 10-30-04, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, 67 is a lot. I'm pretty neurotic, though, so I wanted to be sure I got a bunch of interviews. Hell, it was worth the extra couple hundred for me. I definitely do NOT want to scramble. (Two unfilled categorical spots last year...thanks to apps being up 20% after the new 80-hour workweek rules.)
Old 10-30-04, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's a very good website for residents to mingle with each other and bond within their specialty, Wish I found it when I was a resident!
http://www.studentdoctor.net/index.asp
Old 10-30-04, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by criptik28
Yes, 67 is a lot. I'm pretty neurotic, though, so I wanted to be sure I got a bunch of interviews. Hell, it was worth the extra couple hundred for me. I definitely do NOT want to scramble. (Two unfilled categorical spots last year...thanks to apps being up 20% after the new 80-hour workweek rules.)
How the hell are you going to pay for the travel expenses for all of your interviews, let alone getting the time off to interview?
Old 11-01-04, 04:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I planned my fourth-year schedule so that I'd have all of December and January off. I plan to pick and choose my top 12-15 programs and interview there...so far I've heard from 24 programs. Will wait until tomorrrow/next week, when the Dean's Letter comes out nationally.

I also have a ton of United frequent flyer miles...and some programs are offering to pay for hotel rooms as well.
Old 11-01-04, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

67 is insane. I hope you get a good school with that level of hedging your bets.
Old 11-01-04, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow, times have changed, I applied to 20 programs, got 14 interviews, actually went to 12 interviews, and ranked 10 programs. And that ws tiring enough!
I wish you all the luck criptik28!
Old 11-01-04, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks. When I told my advisor how many programs I was applying to, he said, "not much of a gambler huh"?

(I actually am, but only in Vegas. )

Hey, at least I'm not applying to ortho, derm, etc. Those guys routinely apply to ALL the programs in the country...sometimes 100-200 of them!
Old 11-01-04, 07:55 PM

Only doing like 10 or so. I want medicine and all the programs that I have looked at seem to be pretty darn good for me so Im not all that worried about not matching somewhere that I like.
Old 11-01-04, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Anyone applying in PA?

Maybe some of the people can meet. Perhaps there are people willing to host or show you around town or something. That might be a nice thing to do.
Old 11-01-04, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

are you guys MD's or DO's? my gf is a DO
Old 11-01-04, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jasonr114
are you guys MD's or DO's? my gf is a DO [/QUOTe

Does that mean you do her? Just kidding
Old 11-01-04, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Gasspasser
Only doing like 10 or so. I want medicine and all the programs that I have looked at seem to be pretty darn good for me so Im not all that worried about not matching somewhere that I like.
From your username, seems like you'd be more suited for anesthesia or surgery.

I applied widely since I was worried about the increasing competitiveness of General Surgery (applications up 20% last year, mainly due to the new 80-hour workweek rules). I wanted to make sure I had a good choice of programs from which to interview.`
Old 11-02-04, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hey criptik ... are you in Boston next week? I'll be there Sun-Wed
Old 11-02-04, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How does General Surgery manage to abide by the 80hour regulations? I see the interns here prerounding at 4 in the morning, or even earlier.
Old 11-02-04, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

ChiTown: No, sorry, I left Boston about a week ago. I was only there for 4 weeks. Amazing about those Red Sox though, huh?

Autotelik: Some programs have been using the night float system, so residents only take overnight call once a week. At the Brigham, where I just did a sub-I, residents typically worked 0600 - 1800 every weekday, half-days on the weekends, and then an overnight weekend shift every week or two, I think. Some days (actually, many) they'd go over and wouldn't be done until 8, 9, 10 pm, but since BWH has the +10% exemption, usually they were pretty close to 88 hr/wk.

It's definitely tough, though. The trick is to find a residency program that doesn't blatantly flaunt their disobedience to the new ACGME rule.
Old 11-02-04, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Forgot to add: the night float system not only cuts down on call nights, but also eliminates pre-rounding.

Of course, some programs still have the regular q3 call, pre-round at 0430 every day, etc. I have no idea how they abide by the 80-hour workweek rules.
Old 11-02-04, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Whatever works, I guess. To me, it's the surgical culture that is the #1 repellant for me from even remotely considering it as a specialty. I respect what they do, but I can't say I like surgeons at all (or maybe it's the way their work totally changes the person- they're so friggin bitter that they have to take it out on others all the time). I've seen surgeons yell and throw things at their patients, and I've seen surgeons throw their colleagues out of the OR (literally), amongst other things. Again, I respect their work, and understand the stress, but.... it's not something I want to happen to me.
Yes, I know I'll be working with them every day.

errrr, no offense Criptik, ok? That's just the way I feel about the profession. I'm sure there are nice surgeons too.... maybe

Last edited by Autotelik; 11-02-04 at 12:31 AM.
Old 11-02-04, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Some financial advice to those of you going on interviews - save all your travel receipts (hotel stays, flights, etc,). You can use them as tax deductions the following year, though you might only be able to use the post-Jan 1, 2005 receipts.

Criptik - going surgery eh? Good luck.
Old 11-02-04, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd like to think I'm not like that. My classmates all feel I don't have the proper, requisite surgeon "personality." Oh well.

I'm going into surgery because I love the physical aspect of being in the OR, fixing problems and seeing tangible results. The 5+ year residency, the many malignant personalities, etc. are all turn-offs, but not enough of a deterrent to keep me from applying.
Old 11-02-04, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd like to think I'm not like that. My classmates all feel I don't have the proper, requisite surgeon "personality." Oh well.
Dont worry, I used to be a nice guy in med school, now after residency, I'm a total jerk and a-hole (just ask my wife). It's all part of residency training. And I'm not even a general surgeon!
Old 11-02-04, 09:18 AM

From your username, seems like you'd be more suited for anesthesia or surgery.

I applied widely since I was worried about the increasing competitiveness of General Surgery (applications up 20% last year, mainly due to the new 80-hour workweek rules). I wanted to make sure I had a good choice of programs from which to interview.`
A long time ago (like undergrad/high school) I thought for sure that I would want to go into those programs. But I got smarter and realized that it just wasnt for me. Now Im thinking about critical care, kinda on the same lines.

And yeah, that 80 hour work week really has had an impact on the whole general surgery thingy. What was it, the year before the 80 hour work week passed there was like 10 or so general surgery programs out there that still had openings after the scramble?! They couldnt find enough crazy people out there to work every second of every day for 4 years. Now they back to the same old same old. Go against the AMSA and try to extend the workable hours.

okay, I am beating down the wrong path here. Back to the topic at hand.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.