Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Do cops have ticket quotas for the month?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-29-04, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems like you always see more police giving out tickets at the end of the month. Do ticket quotas really exist for cops or is that just a myth?
Old 10-29-04, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't think it is official policy anywhere, but that doesn't mean it isn't effectively incoporated into the number of tickets handed out. But I really don't know....
Old 10-29-04, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
If Bob, Doug and Jeff all have 80 tickets a month and Greg has 12, I believe that Greg's getting talked to.
Old 10-29-04, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I asked a NY state trooper about it one time and she said that while there's no real quota on tickets, it's most definitely recorded in your record of daily activities how many tickets you're issuing, and if your average is lower than the department average, it shows up in your reviews and salary increase time.

So, no, no quota, but there is a reason to try to write as many tix as you can, within reason.

-jason
Old 10-29-04, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I figured that was an urban myth.
Old 10-29-04, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

One of the NY papers has printed actual NYPD memos outlining the monthly ticket quota, although they still deny one is in place. Only civilians are ticketed however, a police officer would never give a ticket to another officer.
Old 10-29-04, 09:50 AM
Banned

Originally posted by jay77
I figured that was an urban myth.
A friend of mine is a cop and I asked him about it. He said generally Highway Patrols have quotas, but police do not. He said he's been on the force for 14 years and he's written 4 traffic violations.
Old 10-29-04, 12:31 PM
Banned

its not a quota per-se, what it is, is that State and local legislation says that there are, in general, "X" number of offenders per-capita, per month, and that the legislature depends on revenues in their budgets from traffic infractions and they are expected to "find" those offenders....when it starts getting close to the end of the month and they are "lacking in numbers", they tend to stop more people for just about anything they can, more often than in the beginning of the month - within reasonable assessment of violation....if they catch you for speeding, they're not gonna slap you a test for DUI unless they have a reasonable suspicion of doing so....as described by a retired police officer, when asked during an interview for a school project.

one problem that I do have (and it could have been cooincidental) is that toward the end of one particular month, I was taking my daughter home from a sporting event in which she complained that she was short of breath and her asthma gear was at home....now....she wasnt playing, she was just there and at the time, she also had a cast on her leg...so she couldnt sit normally in the back and was laying across the back...needless to say I was in a bit of hurry to get her rescue inhaler, so I rolled a stop sign - I knew I rolled it and I saw the cop and knew he was gonna stop me. My car is small and I keep the regi/ins cards in the glove box, which I cannot open while seated and belted in the drivers seat...so I pull over, undo my belt and get the gear from there - I go to get out of the car, and he blares on teh loudspeaker to stay in it.....he comes over and it starts....

Lic. Reg and Ins please....Do you know why I pulled you over?
Yes, I was in a hurry, I know I rolled the Stop sign - my child is having an asthma attack and her inhaler is at home.
is she alright, can you breath?
she says yes, but chest is tight and difficult
why isnt she seat-belted?
she has a cast on her leg and cant lay down and be belted? I live right up the block as you can tell from my information
Thats no excuse - why arent YOU belted?
I was! I had to take it off to get my cards from the glove box
i dont think so...
well it doesnt matter - I was belted, so can we get on with this - i need to get her home - kid sitting in the back wheezing
Fine....

goes to his squad car comes back in about 5 minutes - hands me ticket for Stop sign, no seatbelt and unrestrained child in the back so the $80 stop sign ticket got an additional $150 added on because I gave him shit because I wanted to get my kid home.

Bastard. so I take a day off to go to MVCourt, wait for hours only to be told that its either pay the $230 or arrange a court date (take MORE time off work that Im not getting paid) to fight it in which I could still wind up paying it, along with a court fee.......

.......who do I make the check out to? you guys are worse than crooks

Last edited by JupiterPrime; 10-29-04 at 01:08 PM.
Old 10-29-04, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been told by supervisors: "an apple a day".
Old 10-29-04, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by JupiterPrime
...one problem that I do have (and it could have been cooincidental) is that toward the end of one particular month
goes to his squad car comes back in about 5 minutes - hands me ticket for Stop sign, no seatbelt and unrestrained child in the back

Bastard.
If you haven't paid them yet, take it to court. You will most likely get out of the moving violation, though you will have to pay more than the face value of the ticket for court supervision, driving school, or whatever. And you can explain the circumstances behind your not wearing a seatbelt, maybe the judge would buy it.

And of course, never take off your seatbelt before telling the officer "I need to take off my seatbelt to get the information out of the glove box", just to make absolutely positive that he sees you with your seatbelt.
Old 10-29-04, 01:06 PM
Banned

all done and paid for - this was over 2 years ago - and im still pissed about it....but I bet If I had a pair of tits and sobbed, he would have let me go.

Last edited by JupiterPrime; 10-29-04 at 01:08 PM.

Yeah, I once got accused of not wearing a seatbelt after taking it off to grab my information. Luckily, the cop was a lady, and I'm...well, I'm Groucho. So I didn't get a ticket.
DVD Talk Special Edition

i hate traffic cops... usless bastards
Old 10-29-04, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Jupiter, just a note for future reference, if you're stopped by a traffic cop, never make an attempt to get out of the car. They don't like that.
Old 10-29-04, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Oraphus
i hate traffic cops... usless bastards

This is not true, they just seem that way.
Old 10-29-04, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No quotas here.

But that apple a day saying is pretty accurate.

If not a ticket....at least a traffic stop....
Old 10-29-04, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Cusm
This is not true, they just seem that way.
maybe...they are, after all, single handedly keeping the local donut shops in business.
Old 10-29-04, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Groucho
Yeah, I once got accused of not wearing a seatbelt after taking it off to grab my information. Luckily, the cop was a lady, and I'm...well, I'm Groucho. So I didn't get a ticket.
Lesbian cops love them tits!
Old 10-29-04, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I work in law enforcement and there's currently a sheriff a few counties over who has been fired and is facing federal charges because he DID institute a quota system.

With our traffic units and the state Highway Patrol, the quota is "contacts". The traffic units have to have 15 contacts per day and that can take the form of any manner of traffic stop whether it's a speeding ticket or just a quick warning that the tag light isn't working.

But for those who think that traffic cops are useless, just remember that almost all of our DWI arrests and a good portion of our arrests of fugitives come from routine traffic stops.
Old 10-29-04, 02:58 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Charlie Goose
Jupiter, just a note for future reference, if you're stopped by a traffic cop, never make an attempt to get out of the car. They don't like that.
I was getting out of the car becasue he was taking his time and I wanted to tell him that I needed to get my daughter home and why.

Originally posted by antennaball
I work in law enforcement and there's currently a sheriff a few counties over who has been fired and is facing federal charges because he DID institute a quota system.

With our traffic units and the state Highway Patrol, the quota is "contacts". The traffic units have to have 15 contacts per day and that can take the form of any manner of traffic stop whether it's a speeding ticket or just a quick warning that the tag light isn't working.

But for those who think that traffic cops are useless, just remember that almost all of our DWI arrests and a good portion of our arrests of fugitives come from routine traffic stops.
and more power to you, and thank you for that, but why must some of you act in the manner of the treatment I received? (see above) I hadnt been stopped or ticketed in SEVERAL YEARS prior to that and clearly that was unwarranted and due to the explained situation, you would think he would have just let me go with the stop tign ticket? (or - heaven forbid- just have let me go) If it were him and he were stopped, being an officer (which he would have informed to the stopping officer) he would have gotten off.

I know I rolled the sign and admitted to it and was in more concern to just get home than to waste 10 minutes arguing with him that was going to get me nowhere - he COULD have cut me a break - he chose to be a jerk and him and his bad day cost me $150, so sorry, but screw you guys....I have bad days too - I dont get to write people tickets over it. This guy held up my daughter getting medication to help her BREATH just becasue he felt his situation of having stopped me was mre important....for a STOP SIGN

I should have kept going and made him follow me all the way to my house and let him feel like an ass after seeing the truth of the situation.

Last edited by JupiterPrime; 10-29-04 at 03:03 PM.
Old 10-29-04, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by Green Jello
A friend of mine is a cop and I asked him about it. He said generally Highway Patrols have quotas, but police do not. He said he's been on the force for 14 years and he's written 4 traffic violations.
Yeah, Highway Patrol has that hanging over their head while normal officers don't. My friends pop is a cop and he only written 2 in his years on the force. But it does come up as one of those factors, so the more tickets you write for HP, the more it shows that you are actually doing some sort of job out there.
Old 10-29-04, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Charlie Goose
One of the NY papers has printed actual NYPD memos outlining the monthly ticket quota, although they still deny one is in place. Only civilians are ticketed however, a police officer would never give a ticket to another officer.
Not true. My bad used to be a cop (decided he didn't want to be one anymore so he quit after about 15 years), and he received a ticket while off duty.

Had to pay it to.

He is dumb though. He actually went up to the magistrate's office with full uniform and paid it. Dumbass.
Old 10-29-04, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by BCorbett
Are you sure you weren't the one who was having a bad day?

If I was a cop and the first thing I saw after pulling you over was you reaching into your glove box and starting to get out of the car, I might have approached slowly and with some caution as well.

I have been stopped once. I was 17 and it was a few days after my senior year at school started.

I got stopped and while the cop was getting out, I reached into the back seat got my bookbag and was digging through it to get my registration (which I needed at school to get my car id) and he was walking up to my car as I was throwing my bookbag back into the backseat.

He didn't even ask me what I was doing. What a bad cop. I could have had a gun and capped his ass.

Oh well....
Old 10-29-04, 05:18 PM
Suspended

I'm sure he saw a puny little white boy and wasn't that scared.
Old 10-29-04, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Wooderson
I'm sure he saw a puny little white boy and wasn't that scared.
please this was in Sept 2001 so I remember it vividly.

I was 17 and had way more muscle mass than that wimp did. He looked to be in his late 20s.

Cops think the world revolves around them. I know. My dad thought he was the shit when he had his uniform on...but I know he ain't. Oh well.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.