Reload this Page >

Sign of Hatred or Heritage?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-28-04, 09:07 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got into a discussion today with a friend about the confederate flag, I didn't know so many people viewed it as a symbol of Hatred or Racism.

What do you guys feel about this?

What if they are flying the Flag of the states, and not the battle flag?

Was the civil war really just about slavery?

When someone is displaying a confederate flag, do you think less fo them?

just some quesitons for though.
Old 10-28-04, 09:09 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Break out your marshmellows and popcorn.. This is going to be one heck of a thread.

To answer the question, I'm not sure what I fee. I really don't see the flag all that much in Michigan. Once in a while on TV if I'm flipping through and a nascar race is on.
Old 10-28-04, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Let me be the first to say...

YEEEEEEEEE-HAAAAAWWWWW!"
Old 10-28-04, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

For some it is a sign of heritage.
For some it is a sign of hate.
For some it is a sign of both.

Simple enough question/answer if you ask me. In today's ever increasing "PC" world, if anything can be interpreted in an un-PC world it is obviousily the work of the devil and people must be sheltered from it at all costs.
Old 10-28-04, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Trigger
Let me be the first to say...

YEEEEEEEEE-HAAAAAWWWWW!"
Old 10-28-04, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Sign of Hatred or Heritage?

Originally posted by linkoaljara
I got into a discussion today with a friend about the confederate flag, I didn't know so many people viewed it as a symbol of Hatred or Racism.

What do you guys feel about this?

What if they are flying the Flag of the states, and not the battle flag?

Was the civil war really just about slavery?

When someone is displaying a confederate flag, do you think less fo them?

just some quesitons for though.
I feel many think its hate and many think its heritage.

Same as the above.

No.

Depends. I didn't before, but I have started noticing that I do now. i know a lot of people that fly the flag and they aren't racists. but i know that some use that as a symbol of their hate
Old 10-28-04, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

<---- Black guy who doesn't care

Here in KY I see it alot and it doesn't bother me at all except for when red necks from other counties come to Lexington on the week-ends and display it a way that makes people want to react negatively to it. ie Puting it on a 4ft pole on the back of your pick up and continually driving by a hip/hop club seems like you are asking for trouble and being a jerk at the same time.
But there is a guy that lives two houses down from me and he has a big one on the wall in his garage and a bumper sticker on his car and I'll go down and have a beer with him on the week-ends if we are both out doing yard work at the same time. He is truely "just a good ol' boy" nothing racist about him he's just country as hell but he's cool.
Old 10-28-04, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by tsohg
He is truely "just a good ol' boy"
Indeed, I'll bet he's never meanin' no harm.
Old 10-28-04, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well I guess I'll be the first to take a side. I go with Hatred. It might be because I'm not educated enough on what the Confederate side was really fighting for but to me the Flag reads: We Fought for the Right of Slavery.
Old 10-29-04, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm amused that the type of person that flies a confederate flag is usually the most jingoistic, "Pro-America", "You're either with us or against us" mentality types...yet take great pride in their display of a flag that symbolizes not only trying to leave the country, but fighting to do so, just because they wanted things their own way! They don't really seem to get the contradiction.

Last edited by Numanoid; 10-29-04 at 12:58 AM.
Old 10-29-04, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
It's the sign of a bunch of self-important, prideful losers who lost a war they never could have won. And I say that as a direct descendant of Confederate veterans who has lived in the South for 32 years.
Old 10-29-04, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's a sign of a rebel, really. I see it as the same thing as some kid wearing a Che Guevara shirt.

Some people see it as a sign of pure, unadulterated hatred and racism. That's fine if they do. One can see the Union Jack as a symbol of hatred and racism too - after all, it's the cunning use of that flag that allowed Britain to dominate a quarter of the world. It also incorporates St. Patrick's Cross, a symbol of Ireland, to show that they dominate Ireland. But I'm not going to say change that flag - it's part of British heritage.

Official buildings shouldn't fly the Confederate flag, though. That implies that it's an official flag, which it isn't. The war was lost.

So don't flaunt it as an official symbol of the South. If you want to wear it as a sign that you're a "rebel", akin to a Che shirt or silly-styled hair, well go ahead, that's cool by me.
Old 10-29-04, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by dork
Indeed, I'll bet he's never meanin' no harm.
Then how do you explain his being in trouble with the law since the day he was born?
Old 10-29-04, 07:31 AM
Banned

Well what I find funny even if evil was done under this flag don't blame the flag. How many people were killed in the name of the bible yet we don't say it's evil.

This thread makes me laugh cause me as a white male can't be proud of my race. You can be proud of your race if your not white. I mean have you ever seen a TV spot where it had a person say I'm a proud white man and proud of my Heritage?

You will see every other race do this but white folks. Lets see a ad for the the white collage fund and see how long that will stay on TV.

I was watching Nick a few days go was watching spongeboob. Well they had a TV spot with all kids of different races saying they were proud of their race and Heritage. They had every race covered but white I was WTF I can't be proud of my race now?

Last edited by TOPDAWG; 10-29-04 at 07:33 AM.
Old 10-29-04, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by TOPDAWG
Well what I find funny even if evil was done under this flag don't blame the flag. How many people were killed in the name of the bible yet we don't say it's evil.
Flying a flag usually means that you are in support of what that flag represents. To most normal people in the South it isn't a symbol of racism or the Civil War, it's just "The South". Country music, Nascar, whatever, I have no idea because I don't live there.

Where I live, just about the only people you will find flying a Confederate flag are KKK members. Unless it's on something like a Lynyrd Skynyrd t-shirt people are going to think KKK, slavery, segregation, Civil War, and ignorant rednecks. Mostly the last one. Fly whatever flag you want, but you have to realize who you are associating yourself with. That's exactly what a flag is for.

I'll admit it, if I see someone displaying the Confederate flag it does lower my opinion of them. I don't associate it with anything that is good. I don't have a problem with people displaying it if they want, but I don't think any of the states should have it incorporated in their state flags. It was a symbol of seperation and the worst time in the country's history. It should be gone from the current government.

As for being a proud white man, I believe you'll hear all the time people saying they are proud Irish, English, Italian, or whatever and nobody seems to have a problem with that. You can thank the KKK and the Nazis for ruining that too. Sorry, but you'll just have to be more specific TOPDAWG.

Last edited by Roto; 10-29-04 at 08:10 AM.
Old 10-29-04, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Since the flag is waved by mostly whites, that means it's hatred.
Old 10-29-04, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The flag is symbolic of being a "Southerner", I really don't think it revolves around hatred.....

Besides, they lost.....
Old 10-29-04, 10:36 AM

Yee-haw yip yip yip I married my sister yee-haw I drive a pick-up truck yippie yip I blow goats yeeeeeeeehaw!
Old 10-29-04, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
Yee-haw yip yip yip I married my sister yee-haw I drive a pick-up truck yippie yip I blow goats yeeeeeeeehaw!
We understand all of that, but please limit your input to the discussion at hand.

Old 10-29-04, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I live in Kentucky, so I see them all the time. But, mostly on kids who display them on shirts or bandannas, not even knowning or caring about the history behind it, but because they think it's cool. Which is silly.
Old 10-29-04, 11:06 AM

Originally posted by johnglass
Then how do you explain his being in trouble with the law since the day he was born?
It's 'cause he's fightin' the system like a true modern day Robin Hood.
Old 10-29-04, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by BCorbett
You certainly have the right to have an opinion, however you may want to read up a little bit more on some of the other issues that led to the Civil War.
Actually, while the Civil War did have some origination in issues over representation and industrial domination by the North, they basic roots of the conflict generally boil down to slavery.

Still, there
Old 10-29-04, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
Originally posted by PopcornTreeCt
Well I guess I'll be the first to take a side. I go with Hatred. It might be because I'm not educated enough on what the Confederate side was really fighting for but to me the Flag reads: We Fought for the Right of Slavery.
And Southerners are the ignorant ones
Old 10-29-04, 11:58 AM

Originally posted by Matt Millheiser
Still, there
But, they
Old 10-29-04, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

huh, what

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.