Reload this Page >

Need advice on removing toilet tank

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-28-04, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are painting one of our bathrooms and need to take the tank off of the toilet to do so. Is this an easy task? I know that I have to shut off the water, drain the tank, and take off the 2 bolts. Is it any trickier than that? Anything I should be aware of? Thanks.
Old 10-28-04, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, it's that easy, though there are three bolts. Depending on the condition of the bolts you might want to stop by a plumbing supply store and pick up new bolts / washers (gaskets) for when you put it back on.

As far as what to aware of, beware the ides of March.
Old 10-28-04, 02:15 PM
Banned

Yep, just that easy. Getting all the water out is near impossible though, so expect some minor spillage.
Old 10-28-04, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In addition to the ides of March, beware of overtightening when reassembling. Don't wanna crack the tank!
Old 10-28-04, 02:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It should be rather simple (that is if the bolts aren't rusted through like mine were). If you have anough room to operate so you can reach them it should't be too bad.
Old 10-28-04, 02:20 PM
Banned

Originally posted by emanon
In addition to the ides of March, beware of overtightening when reassembling. Don't wanna crack the tank!
This is an extremely good point. Back in college, one of my roommates in the house installed a new toilet and cracked the tank slightly. We didn't notice for months, because it didn't leak. One day I walked in there, drunk, opened the lid a tad hard, and the tank basically exploded onto me. Blue water went all over the bathroom. I was in a bit of a state of shock, being drunk and all, and walked/squelched back into the dining room, where all the guys were, yelled "The MF'ing toilet exploded! I need a drink!" and went behind the bar and poured myself a stiff drink. They found it immensely amusing that I was just completely incapable of dealing with it (due to my excessive inebriation) and even cleaned up the mess for me (since they cracked the thing in the first place when installing it). But then we had a broken toilet for a couple of days, which was quite annoying.
Old 10-28-04, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had to do this a year or so ago. The bolts were rusted together so i used a sawzall to kut them between the tank and the bowl. I have to mess with it a bit (keep tightening the bolts) to get it to stop leaking. Not too hard to do.
now i just hope no one swims in my toilet again.
Old 10-28-04, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Heat
Yes, it's that easy, though there are three bolts. Depending on the condition of the bolts you might want to stop by a plumbing supply store and pick up new bolts / washers (gaskets) for when you put it back on.

As far as what to aware of, beware the ides of March.
When you pick up the new bolts, you should pick up a new wax ring as well.
Old 10-28-04, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by JasonF
When you pick up the new bolts, you should pick up a new wax ring as well.
He's not removing the toilet itself, just the tank (to paint behind it).

Another idea, while you are upgrading your bathroom, would be to replace the toilet seat. Easy, and does make a difference on the appearance of the room (I guess it depends on what your old seat looks like).
Old 10-29-04, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You can also just buy a small roller. I bought one at lowes for about $5 that fits easily behind the tank, its a lot quicker/cleaner/easier than taking the tank apart. Look for something called a tight spot roller its about 1/2" in diameter and perfect for behind the toilet tank.
Old 10-29-04, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by DaveNinja
I had to do this a year or so ago. The bolts were rusted together so i used a sawzall to kut them between the tank and the bowl. I have to mess with it a bit (keep tightening the bolts) to get it to stop leaking. Not too hard to do.
now i just hope no one swims in my toilet again.
I had to do the same thing. I went through about three cutting disks on my Dremel cutting rusty bolts off. I had to disassemble my entire toilet down to the hole in the floor because my daughter flushed the top to her Strawberry Shortcake soap. Of course, it lodged itself right at the base of the toilet.