Reload this Page >

Replacing gas range: Is it complicated?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-27-04, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our old gas range has cease to function, and our neighbor is getting rid of her 3 yr old unit as part of a big kitchen rennovation project, so we're buying hers for a really cheap price.

How complex is it remove the old range and connect up the new one?

Not that I'm considering trying to do it myself, but theoretically isn't it turn off the gas line, disconnect/reconnect/turn on gas line?

One of my other neighbors has done it before and I'm trying to see if he can do it for me, so I can see what the deal is.

Or do I need to have it professionally done?

Last edited by Pointyskull; 10-27-04 at 12:27 PM.
Old 10-27-04, 12:13 PM

a do it yourself job yes, i would recommend purchasing a new flex gas line though and make sure you use teflon tape on the threads.
Old 10-27-04, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If you are not very comfortable with doing this, I would suggest that you find someone who is at least help you. It is really not that difficult, but the potential mistakes have really bad consequences.
Old 10-27-04, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Pistol Pete
It is really not that difficult, but the potential mistakes have really bad consequences.
Old 10-27-04, 01:08 PM
Banned

I installed by gas stove. The hardest part was removing a piece of existing pipe and putting in a valve where there was no valve before. And even then it was only hard because the pipe was put in such a way as to make it difficult to remove. I had to use an internal pipe wrench. The other hard part was getting the right fittings to put on the pipe. Other than that it was not difficult, just check for leaks when you are done and you'll be OK.
Old 10-27-04, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by icondude
just check for leaks when you are done and you'll be OK.
Using a match or lighter works best for this.
Old 10-27-04, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

you should really hire a licensed plumber to do it. the worst you can do yourself is blow up your home. plumber won't charge more than $100.
Old 10-27-04, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's really quite easy. Unless you have to change the shut off valve it's something most do it yourselfers can do. I'm not really sure Teflon tape is rated for gas lines although I could be wrong. I've always used the gas pipe dope.
Old 10-27-04, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's a pretty easy install.

Tools required: adjustable wrench, level, (maybe a screwdriver). A second person to help you move it into place, and help with adjustments.

You may have to adjust your stove if your using propane instead of natural gas, or vise versa. It's not difficult, just a small adjustment to the regulator. I would do this first because the regulator is often on the back of the unit and may be difficult to reach once in place.

Like someone else posted, Get a flexible pipe because your existing pipes may not line up right and it's better to put in a new one then to try and bend an old one to fit. It makes it easier to hookup too because you have more flexibility to make connections to the stove before moving it into position. Also, make sure your connections fit. Our old stove used 3/4" fittings and I had to get an adapter because the new stove was 1/2".

You may have to adjust the flame on the burners and oven and broiler, this isn't hard. Your new stove's manual should have instructions. This is where a helper comes in handy because they can watch the flames while you make the adjustments.

The helper is also handy for the last step, leveling the unit. Not difficult, just put the level on top and adjust the feet.
Old 10-27-04, 03:35 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Numanoid
Using a match or lighter works best for this.
Spray bottle of soapy water. You spray it no the connection joints and if it's leaking it will bubble up.
Old 10-27-04, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by icondude
Spray bottle of soapy water. You spray it no the connection joints and if it's leaking it will bubble up.
Are you insane?! You could get soap in your eye. My way is much safer.
Old 10-27-04, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Numanoid
Are you insane?! You could get soap in your eye. My way is much safer.
the guy who did my hvac system ran a torch over the gas pipes to check for leaks.

the home inspector did the same with a lighter. unless the gas is allowed to accumulate it'll only slowly burn

Last edited by schlitz100; 10-27-04 at 06:30 PM.
Old 10-27-04, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

it's an easy job.. as the stove connection has it's own shut off valve.. once that's off(usually a lever behind the stove).. it's real easy
Old 10-27-04, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You said you were getting a new stove, depending on where you are buying it, you should be able to have it include hook up. We got ours from Home Depot, and it was only like $35.00 to have it hooked up, plus like $20 for the flex hose.
Old 10-27-04, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Mrs Pinnet: But surely they can connect up a gas cooker?

First Gas Man: Oh yeah, we could connect it up, love, but not unless it's an emergency.

Mrs Pinnet: But this is an emergency.

First Gas Man: No it's not. An emergency is 290... 'where there is actual or apparent loss of combustible gaseous substances'.

Second Gas Man: Yeah, it's like a leak.

(Seventh gas man is revealed.)

Seventh Gas Man: Yeah, or a 478.

Third Gas Man: No - that's valve adjustment.

Mrs Pinnet: But there can't be a leak unless you've connected it up.

First Gas Man: No, quite. We'd have to turn it on.

Mrs Pinnet: Well can't you turn it on and connect it up?

First Gas Man: No. But what we can do, and this is between you and me, I shouldn't really be telling you this, we'll turn your gas on, make a hole in your pipe, you ring Hounslow emergency, they'll be around here in a couple of days.

Mrs Pinnet: What, a house full of gas! Can be dead by then

First Gas Man: Oh well, in that case you'd have the South East Area Manager round here like a shot.
Old 10-28-04, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Good topic, I will most likely be replacing my gas stove in the near future.

And I know better than to use a match or lighter to check for leaks, my plan is to have my wife use a match or lighter to check for leaks, while I am outside.