hypoallergenic cats

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

hypoallergenic cats

Old 10-27-04, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hypoallergenic cats

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/10/27/b...ats/index.html

hypoallergenic cats, glow in the dark fish, box-shaped watermelons, PETA must be turning in their grave
Old 10-27-04, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I hate this. These people as jerks.
Old 10-27-04, 12:51 PM
Banned

So what happens when the genetically engineered cat eats the genetically engineered fish? That's the real question.
Old 10-27-04, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They're not selling fertile kitties, which will probably be a good thing.

I think breeding a "hypoallergenic" kitty is a good thing because there are an awful lot of people who love cats and can't have them because they or the people they live with are allergic.

Now, if they breed a japanese bobtail, I'd be all over it. Of course, they're supposed to be naturally hypoallergenic, but the hub still won't let me have one. He's allergic to cats.

So are the dogs.

Designer pets have been around for centuries (400 breeds of dog, over 200 breeds of cat, various color phase reptiles, etc.), so this story really doesn't come as a complete shock.
Old 10-27-04, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Otto
So what happens when the genetically engineered cat eats the genetically engineered fish? That's the real question.
You get a hypo-allergenic cat that can be used as a nite-lite.
Old 10-27-04, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm allergic to cats and I've lived with them all my life. Constant exposure has made my body resistant to the allergen.
I don't like this idea, humans should be forced to deal with some irritants, like how kids that go to daycare catch all kinds of colds and get better immune systems for it.
Old 10-27-04, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by milo bloom
I'm allergic to cats and I've lived with them all my life. Constant exposure has made my body resistant to the allergen.
I don't like this idea, humans should be forced to deal with some irritants, like how kids that go to daycare catch all kinds of colds and get better immune systems for it.
I disagree. While constant exposure may help some, there are various severities of allergic reactions. I couldn't be "forced to deal" with cat allergens. I experience serious asthma within an hour of being exposed to cats. Even though I have medication, if I was forced to be in a room with a cat for any prolonged period of time, my lungs would eventually shut down and kill me. No joke. It's like any kind of allergic reaction, it affects different people different ways. Some people get stung by a bee and get a little swelling, some people get stung and they die.
Old 10-27-04, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
You don't have this problem with Snakes and other Reptiles .
Old 10-27-04, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's why they have always been the pets of choice for me. When I was a kid I had tons of snakes and lizards.
Old 10-27-04, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Giantrobo
You don't have this problem with Snakes and other Reptiles .
Especially since the furry critters you feed to them don't stick around long enough to cause allergic reactions.

Old 10-28-04, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wouldn't this work just as well:

Old 10-28-04, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If they could genetically make a cat that wouldn't claw the hell out of my furniture and piss all over the house, we'd be talking.
Old 10-28-04, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They have been working on them for quite sometime already. It is perfectly fine as long as they take the necessary precautions, such as making them infertile. Their cost alone should make sure that people take good care of them and don't just throw them out on the streets. My main concern is how can they prove that the cats are hypoallergenic. If I spend $3500 on a stinkin' cat they better be able to prove it. What if someone has an allergic reaction to one of the other millions of antigens that cats give off?
Old 10-28-04, 05:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

One step further, SunMonkey: The Sphynx.

Not that pointless statue built in Egypt to confuse further generations. The actual animal.

Hey, ugly pets need love too. Even that monster.

Just think of all the vacuuming time that will be saved.
Old 10-28-04, 06:07 AM
Banned by request

God that is so ugly.

Right click, save as...
Old 10-28-04, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I want one.
Old 10-28-04, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I talked to a woman last night who bragged about spending $3000 on a maltese because it was a "teacup" and was only supposed to top out at six pounds.

First of all, there is NO SUCH THING as a teacup. The so-called Teacups are RUNTS, get it? Got it? Good.

Second of all, it is STUPID to pay that much for a fucking Maltese because no matter how you slice it a well-bred Maltese (a TOY breed) will not get more than six pounds. You can probably get one at the pound that weighs the proper amount. If not, you can get them from any breeder that would charge you $200 and they wouldn't get that big.

But I digress...

Oddly, spynxes do not breed true and they aren't hypoallergenic. They still have the wicked kitty dander, just far less hair to throw around. Plus they look like little wingless bats. My neighbor had one and it freaked me out sitting in the window all the time.