Reload this Page >

Money Orders and Fraud?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Money Orders and Fraud?

Old 10-27-04, 05:26 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Money Orders and Fraud?

Can you get your money back if you sent two separate US Post office money orders through the mail in February 2004?

I still have the receipts where you tear off the top portion of the money orders.

I lost around $186 combined on those two payments.
Old 10-27-04, 05:51 AM
Suspended

I would doubt it

It's been far too long. They've cleared the banks and the recipient is long gone. Your best bet was to have them stop payment on them within the first 24 hours, or week at the most, not 8 months later. What was this payment for?
Old 10-28-04, 04:00 PM
Banned

They were payments for Ebay auctions. I bought a Fantasia Anthology DVD set and 3 PS2 Games, True Crime, Super Mario Cart, and WWE Smackdown.
Old 10-28-04, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

no

MO's are like cash. if you get screwed then you are SOL.

rule #1 on ebay is only pay via paypal and credit card. if a seller isn't willing to accept credit cards, then it's too much risk for me.
Old 10-28-04, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You got scammed just like I did. Luckily mine was only for $22. I didn't think about it until a couple days later that I realized that if this person decided not to send me my merchandise than nothing I can do. Sure enough I kept emailing him and nothing. I searched for his userid on ebay and it came up with a closed account. I was pissed. Originally the guy said that he took paypal, but then once I sent him the paypal payment he instantly send me back an email saying that he would only take money order. That should have been my clue to walk away, but I did not.
Old 10-28-04, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Actually, with USPS MO's, you can call in with the receipt numbers and claim fraud, but it will only work if they have not been cashed.