Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

My wife got rear ended

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

My wife got rear ended

Old 10-26-04, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My wife got rear ended

She was driving down the 405, and some guy in a truck hit her from behind. The back end of our Rav 4 is smashed in, the rear window is completely broken. The other guy stopped but never got out of his truck, and the CHP came and took down the report. They told her she would get the other guys info when she recieves the report in 7 days. This is the first time either of us have had to deal with an accident, so I'm not quite sure what to do next. I'm planning on taking it to the dealership tomorrow to get an estimate and my wife will go to the doctor, but I'm not sure what else I need to do. Do I call my insurance company without the other guys insurance info? My wife has his license plate number. To make matters worse, our landline phone is out and apparently won't be fixed until 11/2 at the latest. I just need advice since this is the first time for both of us.
Old 10-26-04, 09:26 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Uh oh...
Old 10-26-04, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

the title change rules!!....oh um nevermind....pics? DOH!

seriously though, good to hear she's alright!
Old 10-26-04, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Um....er....ouch....

Uh, my wife got rear-ended when she was 9 months pregnant with our son!
Old 10-26-04, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No good can come from this.
Old 10-26-04, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Moving to Mature...

That sucks. I got rear-ended on the 10 last year, and got a nice new car out of it. I would definitely call your insurance company, even without his information, so that you can at least let them know what happened and get your wife's side of the story, so that they aren't caught by surprise when he contacts his insurance company. Just let them know that you weren't able to get his info, and it will be on the accident report.

Usually with this kind of crash, it is going to be his fault, (unless your wife did something illegal on the road) so you shouldn't be afraid to make sure the insurance company has everything they need. What happened anyway?
Old 10-26-04, 09:35 PM

Take pictures, insurance companies will need to pay for it or his insurance will need to pay for it. Photographs will be your friend, if your wife has some type of injury, lawyers will get into this issue.

So more photographs, if it gets more serious, you will probably need witnesses, for the who's at fault thing.

Statements have already been made, so that's good. Can't think of anything else.
Old 10-26-04, 09:36 PM

Originally posted by FinkPish
What happened anyway?
She was just driving down the freeway, and slowed down due to traffic and the guy hit her. She said she could see him coming at her in the rearview while she was stopped. And that she is pretty sure he was on his cell phone.
Old 10-26-04, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Then it is totally his fault. Definitely take pictures, otherwise just contact your insurance company and let them handle it. It sounds like the guy really has nothing to go on, so you should be fine from anything coming from his end.
Old 10-26-04, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sorry to hear the trucker poked your wife in the pooper.

Old 10-26-04, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
pics?
Old 10-27-04, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
At least the CHP is investigating it.

I was rear ended by a drunk driver waiting at the timing light to get on the 105. It was rainy like it is tonight and I had passed this guy in a dooley trying to get on the off-ramp to the freeway. Anyways, there I am waiting on the on-ramp with a truck in front of me. I glance at the rear view in time to see the drunk guy barrelling down on me. I think fast and go limp. BAM! He slams into my lil Sentra and sandwiches me between him and the truck in front of me. No tires screeching, in fact he was accelerating. I pull to the left, the truck in front does the same, the guy that hit me pulls to the right then takes off. Motherfucker! I take my lil car and chase this fool down in traffic. My car's sputtering and bleeding oil and coolant. I sketch every detail I can about the guy's truck as I'm tailing him thru traffic. I get off the freeway and decide I have enough to make a good identification and head towards a gas station which is near a Kaiser Permanente (since I'm a member).

I make the call, my car looks like an accordian. I get of the phone with 911 and my folks. I start to feel it and get the shakes. Local police show up. "Sorry, not our jurisdiction. We'll call CHP to come out." 3 hours later CHP arrive. Takes my statement and the vehicle description, chastises me for leaving the scene and leaves. My folks arrive and after a trip to the emergency room, we head home.

I call my insurance. They write my car off as total loss and cut me a check for more than the car is worth. CHP tells them, not enough evidence to support my claim.
Old 10-27-04, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Senior members.
Old 10-27-04, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
wow that sucks devilshalo

I don't understand did the guy hit her and run?

If he did you might have a legal problem. I have heard that hit and run cases are extremely difficult since they sometimes cannot prove that the owner of the car was actually the driver at the time. In terms of the car it should be fine. His insurance should still take care of it but if you take it to court it might be a different story.
Old 10-27-04, 01:20 AM

Originally posted by Buford T Pusser

Sorry to hear the trucker poked your wife in the pooper.
Old 10-27-04, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Uhm...don't look at me. I was home all night. I swear.

Okay, I did it.

I guess.

Depends on what your definition of 'it' is.
Old 10-27-04, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Beware of SOFT TISSUE injury. She might not hurt today because she's tensed up but when she relaxes some injury could show up.
Old 10-27-04, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Giantrobo
Beware of SOFT TISSUE injury. She might not hurt today because she's tensed up but when she relaxes some injury could show up.
Man us radio guys know all to well what it is like to take it up the ass...
Old 10-27-04, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My wife got rear ended

Heheh. Hehehehe. Hehehehehehe.

Heh heh heh heh.

Oh. I'm really sorry. Seriously, I'm glad that your wife is alive and well. Sue the friggin' pants off of 'em. You deserve it.

Hehehe.. "rear ended." C'mon, you knew what you were saying. You could easily have said "My wife got Tapped from behind" "My wife was in an accident. A sexy accident All right!"
Old 10-27-04, 08:05 AM

Totally off topic Alexkat, but I was wondering what the Alexkat username was all about?

Chris
Old 10-27-04, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah. I call bullshit. If you post here, you should know better than to title a thread that way.

Anyhow, glad your wife is alright.
Old 10-27-04, 10:43 AM
Banned

Call insurance company notify them of accident, explain what occurred, chances are they will take it from there and will also provide you with the names of several locations to take the care in for repair and arrange for a rental vehicle (if you have that included in your policy)

If your wife was injured, consult a lawyer and see what he can squeeze out of the other guy's insurance company - i dont know about your location, but where I am people can be insured up to $300,000 - would e nice to be able to get a piece of that out of an insurance company

accidents today (depending on your insurance company) are a no brainer - they happen, you call insurance, they tell you where to go, who to call what to do and you are practically out of the "procedure" loop as it should be

I had an accidnet recently - the first i had in more than 10 years and the process and procedure today are completely different and streamlined as opposed to the nightmare process it was over 10 years ago - I literally made only 3 phone calls and they took care of everything - and it was my fault.
Old 10-27-04, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

some tips to add to the above mentioned:

(your wife should) Call your insurance company and tell them everything you mentioned here. Should have done that before posting.

Take it to whatever body shop you want. You don't have to go to where your insurance recommends. Usually the insurance will recommend a shop within their own "network" and they are usually cheaper and don't do as good a job. Take it to a reputable place that will only use OEM parts. By law they can only recommend where to go, and not tell you where to go.

If your wife is not injured, and you play your cards right (i.e. pretend to be slightly sore), she should at least get $500 from his insurance company as an injury settlement. Almost all insurance claims adjusters are allowed to handout that amount without further investigation/approval, and will do it instantly just to settle the injury portion of the claim. If she is really hurt, then your insurance agent will help you get the most out of it.

Get the car taken care of asap.

I was rear ended once ( ) on a Monday. Monday night i called my insurance company, tuesday I took it to my choice of body shops and the insurance guy met my car there, wednesday work started, and I had my car back by the following monday. It pays to have a good insurance company that doesn't fuss over small issues.

I also had three phone calls. one to insurance. one to body shop. and one follow up call to see the status of my car at the shop.

Last edited by grrrah; 10-27-04 at 11:45 AM.
Old 10-27-04, 11:57 AM
Banned

I didnt have any worries about the place they suggested as it was the place I use for most general repair and maintenace anyway (was surprised when they mentioned it) and I was always happy with them - plus depending on your insurance (I use Allstate) if you use their recommended repair shop, they will guarantee teh repairs for as long as you own the vehicle

It was amazing to see how out of the loop I was in the whole situation - I called insurance, I called Body Shop, I called Rental agency - the rental agency rep picked me up at the body shop, brought me back, upgraded my rental at no extra charge, and the body shop picked up my wife to bring her there so she could pick up the car when it was ready, and the rental agency gave me a ride home after dropping off the rental.
Old 10-27-04, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by JupiterPrime
I didnt have any worries about the place they suggested as it was the place I use for most general repair and maintenace anyway (was surprised when they mentioned it) and I was always happy with them - plus depending on your insurance (I use Allstate) if you use their recommended repair shop, they will guarantee teh repairs for as long as you own the vehicle

It was amazing to see how out of the loop I was in the whole situation - I called insurance, I called Body Shop, I called Rental agency - the rental agency rep picked me up at the body shop, brought me back, upgraded my rental at no extra charge, and the body shop picked up my wife to bring her there so she could pick up the car when it was ready, and the rental agency gave me a ride home after dropping off the rental.
Thats a good coincedence to have the same shop. Just make sure they are using OEM parts because often times an insurance company will have them use salvaged/generic parts if its not specifically requested. The repairs should be guaranteed by the body shop regardless also. I have been in two recent accidents.. the second one I took it to where my insurance recommended, hoping it would be a quicker process. The insurance part was easier (didnt need to send an estimator out since they had an agreement with the shop), but the body shop sucked (had to re-insist on OEM parts/paint, took longer to repair, had to take the car back because some hanger bolts were loose, etc), and I was much happier the first time I went my own way.

as for the rental car service, that is great too, but that is typical for enterprise and other places regardless.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.