Shock Jock Stern Crosses Swords with FCC's Powell

Old 10-26-04, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shock Jock Stern Crosses Swords with FCC's Powell

You can listen here,if you wish-

http://www.kgoam810.com/

it`s about 32 min. in....

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Radio shock jock Howard Stern, who is moving to satellite radio to avoid broadcast decency rules, traded verbal jabs on air with Federal Communications Commission Chairman Michael Powell on Tuesday, charging him with nepotism and undermining free speech.

"It is apparent to most of us in broadcasting that your father got you your job," said Stern, who called in while Powell was being interviewed on San Francisco's KGO-AM 810.

Powell shot back that his father, Secretary of State Colin Powell, had nothing to do with his appointment. The FCC chief was nominated to the commission by then-President Bill Clinton and elevated to chairman by President Bush.

"You can look at my resume if you want, Howard, I'm not ashamed of it, I think it justifies my existence," he said.

The FCC has proposed fining stations a total of about $2.5 million for airing incidents on Stern's show, including a $495,000 fine against Clear Channel Communications Inc. stations for an incident that led the company to drop him from six stations, according to the Center for Public Integrity.

Regulations bar broadcast television and radio stations from airing indecent material -- typically explicit sexual talk, profanity, or nudity -- when children are likely to be listening, usually from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m.

The two jousted for more than 10 minutes. The FCC chief initially resisted taking calls from audience listeners but relented and Stern pounced after getting word of the show.

"I don't think that you personally hate me ... I think what you've been doing is dangerous to free speech," Stern said. "I think things have gotten way out of control."

The radio personality has signed a deal to take his show in 2006 to Sirius Satellite Radio Inc., a subscription service to which decency rules do not apply.

Stern accused Powell and the FCC of preventing Viacom Inc., which presently syndicates Stern's show, from going to court to challenge fines and blocking them from acquiring more stations because of tussles over decency violations.

"That's flatly false ... there's no reason why Viacom or any other company who feels that they have been wrongly fined can't sue us in court," Powell said.

Mark Silverman, the producer of Ronn Owens' show on which the two appeared, said Powell was caught by surprise and appeared to be tense, and his staff was angry.

"The chairman handled himself quite well even though he wasn't prepared," Silverman told Reuters.

Powell denied on the show that he was nervous being confronted by Stern.

(Additional reporting by Sue Zeidler in Los Angeles)
Old 10-26-04, 07:02 PM

Way to go Howard.
Old 10-26-04, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow. I'll give it to Howard. Anyone who's worked/works in radio knows the fear any kind of FCC attention brings. To have him go at it on air with Powell was brave.
Old 10-26-04, 07:09 PM
Banned

Anyone who makes Powell look an ass =
Old 10-26-04, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
**** you **** ******** and your mother you ***** because stick it in your ****** and your father is a ****, you ******, and you **** 14 times ****wad, because ***** **** ****-*****-***** and I think it's really sad how free speech is being squased, Mr. ****ing FCC mother****ing ass****, butt****, you dog****er. When I broadcast my first show on Sirius, we're gonna have ***** ***** tits, and more mother******* asses, and even girls who like to **** **** and take in the ****** ***** *** ***** ***** ****** *** ***** *****, and you can hear them, too! Now my creative talent can be broadcasted again! wooo-whooo!

Why don't some people want to listen to this? I don't understand Mr. FCC Dude.
Old 10-26-04, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Shock Jock Stern Crosses Swords with FCC's Powell

Originally posted by tommy28

"That's flatly false ... there's no reason why Viacom or any other company who feels that they have been wrongly fined can't sue us in court," Powell said.

That's a load of horseshit. Yeah, you can sue in court. But first you have spend years litigating through FCC adminstrative adjudication where the FCC gets to serve as judge, jury and executioner. How about the FCC allow a bypass option?
Old 10-26-04, 07:18 PM
Banned

Originally posted by DVD Polizei
Funny thing about a radio, it has a dial. Change the station if you don't like the broadcast. For that matter, turn it off.
Old 10-26-04, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm curious. How does one air nudity on the radio?

My God, you guys all have sticks up your asses.
Old 10-26-04, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Contactsport1,

Funny thing about radio, it's regulated. That's why there are rules and regulations set forth by the FCC. But Howard doesn't like rules or regulations, doesn't like to play by the rules every other broadcaster and DJ does, and thinks his words are above anyone else's. Well, he can talk all he wants now.

Shazam,

I think we're talking about spoken words, not the actual video involved. You are indeed correct, boobs cannot be shown via radio waves. However, a nice description can, and that's the problem--his intelligent verbage that is far from being original these days.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 10-26-04 at 07:37 PM.
Old 10-26-04, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk God

doesn't like to play by the rules every other broadcaster and DJ does, and thinks his words are above anyone else's.

Oh you mean the rules that apply to some and not others?
Old 10-26-04, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The rules that apply to the EXTREME.

You welcome extremity, you welcome a lot more regulation.

We're not talking about some dumbass discussing the latest news headlines on NPR, here. Please.
Old 10-26-04, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk God

The rules that apply to the EXTREME.

You welcome extremity, you welcome a lot more regulation.

We're not talking about some dumbass discussing the latest news headlines on NPR, here. Please.

4 words: Oprah Winfrey Salad Tossing
Old 10-26-04, 07:44 PM

Sorry. I listened, I agree with Mr. Powell. There has to be some limits. Howard's been pushing them for...well, ever.
Old 10-26-04, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Nobody's questioning whether or not the FCC should regulate the airwaves.

We're all just saying (well, except you) that the regulations fucking suck and need to be revised.
Old 10-26-04, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by El Scorcho

We're all just saying (well, except you) that the regulations fucking suck and need to be revised.

If not that, at least make them objective and more importantly, enforce the regulations against everyone who violates them. Also, give those accused of violating the rules a chance to challenge their accuser in a neutral venue.
Old 10-26-04, 07:53 PM
Suspended

**** you **** ******** and your mother you ***** because stick it in your ****** and your father is a ****, you ******, and you **** 14 times ****wad, because ***** **** ****-*****-***** and I think it's really sad how free speech is being squased, Mr. ****ing FCC mother****ing ass****, butt****, you dog****er. When I broadcast my first show on Sirius, we're gonna have ***** ***** tits, and more mother******* asses, and even girls who like to **** **** and take in the ****** ***** *** ***** ***** ****** *** ***** *****, and you can hear them, too! Now my creative talent can be broadcasted again! wooo-whooo!

This post kinda indicates to me you know jack shit about Stern.
Old 10-26-04, 07:55 PM

Originally posted by MJKTool
I agree 100%.....
Old 10-26-04, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No kidding....or just hates him because he has an opposite agenda. Get over it already people.
Old 10-26-04, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Personally, I can't stand Stern. He's annoying and rarely funny. But I recognize the good fight when I see it, and whether I like him or not, he's fighting on the side of right. FCC double standards and selective morality is horseshit, and if it takes an unfunny clown to stand up to them, so be it.

das
Old 10-26-04, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by das Monkey
Personally, I can't stand Stern. He's annoying and rarely funny. But I recognize the good fight when I see it, and whether I like him or not, he's fighting on the side of right. FCC double standards and selective morality is horseshit, and if it takes an unfunny clown to stand up to them, so be it.

das
I couldn't have said it better myself. You covered it perfectly.
Old 10-26-04, 08:05 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

No kidding, it's funny to see people say something like that when all it does is show that they have no reference point whatsoever to justify opening their mouths to begin with.
Jon
Old 10-26-04, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Obviously, several of you don't have a clue, because the subject and person we are talking about, violated FCC rules and regulations of airing indecent content between 7:25am and 7:45am.
Old 10-26-04, 08:26 PM

Obviously, several of you don't have a clue, because the subject and person we are talking about, violated FCC rules and regulations of airing indecent content between 7:25am and 7:45am.

LOL....

your joking,right?
Old 10-26-04, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

What, so this never happened?

Oh wait, this is a much BIGGER issue. The spoken word of all Americans is at risk of being squashed by Nazis!
Old 10-26-04, 08:30 PM

DVD Polizei-

you seem to be lost,you made a statement,now back it up!!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.