Reload this Page >

Shut up already!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Shut up already!

Old 10-26-04, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shut up already!

Does talking during a tv show or a DVD you're trying to watch bother you?

So my boyfriend and I are watching a DVD tonight, and he starts to talk and make comments. I've told him several times that I can't stand talking when I'm watching something that I want to concentrate on, so I mention it again... and he gets upset and turns the tv off.

Does this bother anyone else, or am I just nuts? I really, truly cannot stand this.
Old 10-26-04, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I hate it, but a cute girl can get away with it if she's genuinely interested in the movie, and it's one I've seen before.
Old 10-26-04, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, but it is usually women that talk over TV shows and movies in my experience. Usually stupid stuff like you don't care about anything but that damn TV and our love is dead. I've learned to block it out.
Old 10-26-04, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by darkside
Yes, but it is usually women that talk over TV shows and movies in my experience. Usually stupid stuff like you don't care about anything but that damn TV and our love is dead. I've learned to block it out.
Been there.

Old 10-26-04, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If I'm really trying to pay attention then it's annoying but if it's just a few comments or questions or it's something I've seen before or something I don't care to follow too closely then it's no problem.
Old 10-26-04, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sorry.
Old 10-26-04, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My roommate is a chronic move/tv/game talker. As soon as I start trying to pay attention to something, BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH! For example, I was trying to play GTA:SA, tonight, and pay attention to the story. So what's he do? Sits there and reads drink recipes out of a magazine. Dude, come on, I DON'T CARE! Why the fuck would I want to listen to the fucking drink recipes when I'm TRYING TO PLAY A GODDAMN GAME?!?
Old 10-26-04, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm easily distracted when I'm watching my movies. I used to yell to my family (mostly my mom and dad) when they talk during my movie watching. It's because when they talk, they talk REALLY LOUD I simply can't stand it. Things are a lot better now though.

And yeah. Some of my friends talks when they watch movies too, but usually I just shut them up. Usually I told them that I prefer to watch my movie quietly before playing it. Those who can't appreciate it can watch by themselves and that's period.
Old 10-26-04, 01:44 AM

My dad does this a lot when I'm watching tv. It almost causes fights when I tell him to be quiet. I like watching tv in silence!

Chris
Old 10-26-04, 01:45 AM

Originally posted by dork

Sorry.

Always a man of many words

Chris
Old 10-26-04, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Cut his mic! cut his mic!
Old 10-26-04, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What's really bad is when you come in to a movie 5 minutes after the "talker" and after a few minutes they ask YOU about the movie (such as "who's he?" or "why did he do that?").

Why are they asking me, when they've seen more of the movie than I have?
Old 10-26-04, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, it bothers me.

However, it can be taken too far. For instance, an ex-girlfriend would actually shush me if I tried talking during commercials. Bitch.
Old 10-26-04, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It bothers me that my girl doesnt care what we are watching and just wants to cuddle...... shit... thats why its called movie night..... I feel your pain Tracer
Old 10-26-04, 08:57 AM

I had an ex that would constantly sit next to me on the couch during shows she knew I liked watching and that I knew she didn't and would always try and talk during these times. I spoke to her several times and even tried ignoring her... Just another reason why she's my EX... good riddence!
Old 10-26-04, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Actually it bothers me when someone insists that I *not* talk during TV or movies... my thoughts and comments on the show or film are likely far more important and interesting than the show or film itself.

edit: I will add that it *is* annoying if someone yaps on and on about something totally unrelated... more if I am playing a game than watching something though, since game storylines are more of a single person experience.

Last edited by ScottyWH; 10-26-04 at 09:08 AM.
Old 10-26-04, 09:11 AM

During the big "reveal" at the end of The Sixth Sense, my date suddenly turned to me and said loudly "Hey, was that Donnie from New Kids at the beginning of the movie?"
Old 10-26-04, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

We make little comments all the time during movies or TV shows.
BUT we pause w/ Tivo or pause the DVD for a sec while making the comment. I'd go crazy talking over something and missing it.
Old 10-26-04, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My wife likes to keep quite during the commercials, then when the show comes back on she decides to talk. It drives me nuts.
Old 10-26-04, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It pisses my wife off when I pause the Apprentice to comment how utterly retarded the people on the show are.
Old 10-26-04, 09:14 AM

Originally posted by neiname
It pisses my wife off when I pause the Apprentice to comment how utterly retarded the people on the show are.
It must take you six hours to get through the show!
Old 10-26-04, 09:19 AM

Location: The Fair City of Detroit, ok, The Fair Suburbs of Detroit
I was on a first date with this girl one time. We went to the show and she was talking constantly before the movie started. That was fine because there was nothing else to do at that point, but then the previews started. Did she stop talking at this point? Nope, she just kept on going, talking about shit that I could care less about (her life, her job, etc.).

At this point, I know that this will be the very last time that I ever see this girl, and she couldn't make it worse, right? Wrong. The movie started, and she just kept talking, I couldn't believe it. I turned to her and said "It's going to be hard to watch the movie with you talking." That shut her up.

About an hour into the movie, she excused her self to go to the bathroom, so I used that opportunity to get up and leave. I still have no idea how she got home from the theater.
Old 10-26-04, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I did that after 4 times watching the titanic in theaters..... she should have known that was coming
Old 10-26-04, 09:32 AM

No it doesn't. There's always conversation going on while I'm watching television/movies. Maybe my family and friends are good at multi-tasking, because no one that I know is completely silent at these times.
Old 10-26-04, 09:35 AM

Originally posted by Groucho
During the big "reveal" at the end of The Sixth Sense, my date suddenly turned to me and said loudly "Hey, was that Donnie from New Kids at the beginning of the movie?"

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.