DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Other Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk-9/)
-   -   How do you tell if your cat's tail is broken? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/392532-how-do-you-tell-if-your-cats-tail-broken.html)

Green Jello 10-25-04 12:02 PM

How do you tell if your cat's tail is broken?

Our little female cat was in a fight and she got hurt. Currently, the base of her tail is slightly swollen and she bites at me if I try to touch it. If it's just a flesh wound and will heal, I really don't want to spend a fortune on a vet bill. Any suggestions?

Gallant Pig 10-25-04 12:21 PM

Vet = like $50 for a checkup, at least get that.

Tracer Bullet 10-25-04 12:42 PM

If you don't want to spend money on your pet, don't have one.

Bacon 10-25-04 12:53 PM

stromp on it hard if she howls it's broken (or will be ;)) if she doesn't it's just bruised ;)

seriously have someone else hold her down while you inspect the tail

or don't be so cheap
:p

Green Jello 10-25-04 01:53 PM

Originally posted by TracerBullet
If you don't want to spend money on your pet, don't have one.
I never said I didn't want to spend any money on it. I just don't want to spend $1000 for some vet to tell me that it will heal just fine on it's own.

I'm sorry to any vets that are here, but I have zero respect for the entire profession. It seems like every time I take an animal to one, they are doing the same guessing that I can do at home for free.

For anyone who further reads this, I love the cat and would do anything within reason to ensure her health and safety.

PrincessT 10-25-04 01:59 PM

It won't be that much. If the tail is broken, what can they do, splint it? Nope. But if she has a wound, it can get infected and kill your animal companion. My cat had what looked like a puncture wound to her tail from a fight with my brother's cat and I took her to the vet. Turned out to be a huge gash that was open at the ends. In this case, they were able to see the extent of the wound whereas my husband and I just thought it was a puncture wound. It was full of puss already, busted open at the vet's touch and had to be cleaned then stapled shut. That was just waiting til the next day for the vet office to open. Wounds, especially cat bites, are serious business. I do recommend a checkup. The bill for all that, including removal of the staples and antibotics, was under $100 BTW.

shaun3000 10-25-04 02:21 PM

Originally posted by Green Jello
I never said I didn't want to spend any money on it. I just don't want to spend $1000 for some vet to tell me that it will heal just fine on it's own.

I'm sorry to any vets that are here, but I have zero respect for the entire profession. It seems like every time I take an animal to one, they are doing the same guessing that I can do at home for free.

For anyone who further reads this, I love the cat and would do anything within reason to ensure her health and safety.

Except veterinarians are doctors and know a whole hell of a lot more than you do about medical matters. But other than that silly little tidbit...

Green Jello 10-25-04 02:29 PM

Originally posted by shaun3000
Except veteranarians are doctors and know a whole hell of a lot more than you do about medical matters. But other than that silly little tidbit...
All evidence to the contrary.

VinVega 10-25-04 03:19 PM

Princess T offers some good advice. I think instead of deriding the whole profession of Vets, you probably need to find a good, reliable one. I've had bad Vets too, but also some good ones and I've stuck with the good ones. Most really do care.

Oh as far as the broken tail? I think my cat may have had the last vertebrae broken in her tail before I found her, but it healed and she can use it normally now. Sometimes they heal, but your situation sounds worse than mine, so not sure how to advise you.

Heat 10-25-04 03:37 PM

Is she moving her tail fine, but there is a little wound and swelling near the base? Or is she not moving her tail at all?

Minor Threat 10-25-04 03:40 PM

I'd take it to the vet for a check up - If it got into a fight with another cat, the bateria from a cat scratch can really cause some big problems.....

Tracer Bullet 10-25-04 03:43 PM

You say your cat's tail seems to be bothering her, yet you stated that you refused to take her to a vet because you "don't want to spend a fortune on a vet bill". Please do the cat a favor and give her away to someone that will take care of her medical needs, even if they cost.

Green Jello 10-25-04 04:11 PM

You say your cat's tail seems to be bothering her, yet you stated that you refused to take her to a vet because you "don't want to spend a fortune on a vet bill". Please do the cat a favor and give her away to someone that will take care of her medical needs, even if they cost.
Do you have a reading problem, or do you always put words in people's mouths?

When did the words "refuse to take her to the vet" ever come up?

I was never in any way trying to completely avoid a trip to the vet. I was simply trying to avoid an UNECESSARY and OVERLY COSTLY trip to the vet.

This cat is a year and a half old and we have already spent well over $500 in vet bills alone on it. All of my pets receive the best care possible and are loved completely.

After further thought on the issue, and thanks to helpful people like PrincessT, I just made an appointment to take her in. You, however, can take your "bad pet owner" lectures and shove them up your ass.

wildcatlh 10-25-04 04:15 PM

Only $500 in 18 months, and you're thinking that's overly expensive? :lol:

Green Jello 10-25-04 04:18 PM

Originally posted by WildcatLH
Only $500 in 18 months, and you're thinking that's overly expensive? :lol:
I do when the last two visits were for about $200 each and they basically ended with the vet saying:

"Well,... she'll probably be allright. Just keep an eye on her and if she's not better tomorrow, bring her back in."

Canis Firebrand 10-25-04 04:20 PM

I dropped $550 in one visit for my dog only to have the vet say she wasn't sure what was happening. :(

She did blood work, xrays as well as some pills to de-worm and other things and special food.

On the one hand, I was happy to pay it to know for certain that my pup didn't eat anything that was causing a blockage. On the other hand, I didn't like the vet basically doing the equivilent of shrugging her shoulders saying "I dunno."

But thats the price to have a pet as a family member.

Glad to hear you're taking your cat to the vet. It could be nothing, but a $25-$50 exam fee(hopefully that is all it will cost) will give you piece of mind that it isn't anything serious.

Tracer Bullet 10-25-04 04:35 PM

Do you have a reading problem, or do you always put words in people's mouths?

When did the words "refuse to take her to the vet" ever come up?

I was never in any way trying to completely avoid a trip to the vet. I was simply trying to avoid an UNECESSARY and OVERLY COSTLY trip to the vet.

This cat is a year and a half old and we have already spent well over $500 in vet bills alone on it. All of my pets receive the best care possible and are loved completely.

After further thought on the issue, and thanks to helpful people like PrincessT, I just made an appointment to take her in. You, however, can take your "bad pet owner" lectures and shove them up your ass.

If you think there's something wrong with your cat, and you don't want to take it to a vet unless it's "necessary" (whatever you mean by that), then, yes, you're a bad pet owner. Sorry, them's the breaks. That cat might be in serious pain, and you only seem to be worried about any unnecessary costs. Glad to see you are taking it though.

Green Jello 10-25-04 04:41 PM

If you think there's something wrong with your cat, and you don't want to take it to a vet unless it's "necessary" (whatever you mean by that), then, yes, you're a bad pet owner.
Why would anyone go to a doctor unless it's necessary? Are you one of those people who heads to the doctor every time you get a cold?

If you go to a doctor and they don't do anything about your problem, it wasn't a "necessary" visit. It was then just a waste of money.

MJKTool 10-25-04 04:44 PM

This is why I like fish. If they get sick and act weird you can just flush it and spend $2 for a new one.

Tracer Bullet 10-25-04 04:45 PM

Why would anyone go to a doctor unless it's necessary? Are you one of those people who heads to the doctor every time you get a cold?

If you go to a doctor and they don't do anything about your problem, it wasn't a "necessary" visit. It was then just a waste of money.

You're familiar with your body and what could be a serious injury. But most people, unless they are vets, are not experts in feline anatomy, and so wouldn't have much of an idea of what could be serious or not to a cat's health.

pilot 10-25-04 04:48 PM

my mother spent probably $3,000 to keep our cat alive over the years ..check around with other people you may know with pets or check a phone book for local vets.. some vets do a good job and not charge alot ..my stepmom had my father bring our cats to her old vet (where she use to take her dog) ..but because it was like a 30 minute drive, he couldn't see the point in going there, so he went to a local one about 5 minutes from our home (referral from another person we know) ...they did just as good of a job (treatment, knowledge, appearance, etc) and they were like 2/3 less than the place 30 minutes away.. (I think it was some routine checkup/shots/etc.. 30 minute vet = was like 300$) ..vet 5 minutes away was like 100$ ..

there's no "pet insurance" like us humans have where we get to pay $15 wherever we go for a checkup ...but if you're normal vet seems very expensive, try to find another one :)

Green Jello 10-25-04 04:51 PM

Originally posted by pilot
there's no "pet insurance" like us humans have where we get to pay $15 wherever we go for a checkup ...but if you're normal vet seems very expensive, try to find another one :)
Actually, there is. But with what that costs, it's really only for the wealthy or crazy to purchase.

Gallant Pig 10-25-04 05:15 PM

I have cat insurance actually, it's $30 a month and reimburses you pretty well for all kinds of stuff. Not sure if I'll renew it, but it's not really that crazy to purchase IMO.

cross 10-25-04 05:40 PM

If you're worried about the price you can always take your cat to the humane society and they'll have vets their that can examine your pet for a fraction of what you'd pay at private vet.

I take my dog (granted he's not a pure bread show dog or anything) to the humane society for shots and I pay like 15-20 dollars when I would pay 60-100 at the private vet.

DVD Polizei 10-25-04 06:50 PM

Put some green jello on the cat's tail and...hey wait a minute. :hscratch:

Seriously, the cat's tail seems to have an infection. You might need to get some antibiotics because you don't want that to get infected. The cat's tail has very little blood flowing to it, so I would take the cat to the vet and insist on an antibiotic.