Reload this Page >

Ways to make extra cash?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Ways to make extra cash?

Old 10-25-04, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ways to make extra cash?

Okay, so I'm curious about ways to make some extra cash on the side of a regular job. Not selling drugs, or my body...I'll wait until I'm really desperate to do that

Sometimes I do paid market research surveys, where I give them a few hours of my time and my opinion on something, and they pay me 60-70 bucks.

Any other ideas/suggestions on ways to make extra cash on the side? Nothing to get rich off of, just something to add some extra money to the income every once in a while? Thanks. At least a few serious replies would be appreciated.
Old 10-25-04, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

ebay works pretty well, if you have something you can buy for dirt cheap, and resell...
Old 10-25-04, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A lot of the survey/research sites on the internet have gone downhill the past 2-3 years...although a few good ones still exist. It's just the survey opportunities are drying up.

www.mysurvey.com and www.clickiq.com are still pretty good.
Old 10-25-04, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Whore yourself out to direct sales. However, it has been my very sorry experience that you're far better off living in a cardboard box than peddling candles/stoneware/tupperware/easy-to-fix foods/bath products/sex toys/whatever they think up next to drain women of their hard-earned money.
Old 10-25-04, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Become a pimp and let your women bring YOU money.
Old 10-25-04, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

...... pimping.... and a professional playa hater....
Old 10-25-04, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Donate blood.......

or

Semen........
Old 10-25-04, 11:27 AM
Banned

Dear Sir:

I have been requested by the Nigerian National Petroleum Company to contact you for assistance in resolving a matter. The Nigerian National Petroleum Company has recently concluded a large number of contracts for oil exploration in the sub-Sahara region. The contracts have immediately produced moneys equalling US$40,000,000. The Nigerian National Petroleum Company is desirous of oil exploration in other parts of the world, however, because of certain regulations of the Nigerian Government, it is unable to move these funds to another region.

You assistance is requested as a non-Nigerian citizen to assist the Nigerian National Petroleum Company, and also the Central Bank of Nigeria, in moving these funds out of Nigeria. If the funds can be transferred to your name, in your United States account, then you can forward the funds as directed by the Nigerian National Petroleum Company. In exchange for your accomodating services, the Nigerian National Petroleum Company would agree to allow you to retain 10%, or US$4 million of this amount.

However, to be a legitimate transferee of these moneys according to Nigerian law, you must presently be a depositor of at least US$100,000 in a Nigerian bank which is regulated by the Central Bank of Nigeria.

If it will be possible for you to assist us, we would be most grateful. We suggest that you meet with us in person in Lagos, and that during your visit I introduce you to the representatives of the Nigerian National Petroleum Company, as well as with certain officials of the Central Bank of Nigeria.

Please respond at your earliest convenience. Time is of the essence in this matter; very quickly the Nigerian Government will realize that the Central Bank is maintaining this amount on deposit, and attempt to levy certain depository taxes on it.

Yours truly, etc.
Ben Ahore
Old 10-25-04, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 10-25-04, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Ways to make extra cash?

Originally posted by Seantn
Okay, so I'm curious about ways to make some extra cash on the side of a regular job. Not selling drugs, or my body...I'll wait until I'm really desperate to do that

Sometimes I do paid market research surveys, where I give them a few hours of my time and my opinion on something, and they pay me 60-70 bucks.

Any other ideas/suggestions on ways to make extra cash on the side? Nothing to get rich off of, just something to add some extra money to the income every once in a while? Thanks. At least a few serious replies would be appreciated.
I make a few extra bucks from time to time babysitting but I'm home all day with my own so it works good for me.

I agree with the eBay option, if you have anything worth selling.

What about a part-time Mcjob?
Old 10-25-04, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Maxwell Smart
Donate blood.......
Actually, no clinics pay for blood anymore. The quality of the donors is questionable because usually their blood has too many drugs and too much HIV in it. Oddly, there are clinics that will buy your plasma.
Old 10-25-04, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

1. Setup website
2. ?
3. Profit
Old 10-25-04, 12:43 PM

Deliver pizzas?
Old 10-25-04, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 10-25-04, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Mercenary, hired assassin, dog walker....
Old 10-25-04, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
Start a pyramid scheme
Old 10-25-04, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by evitagen
Actually, no clinics pay for blood anymore. The quality of the donors is questionable because usually their blood has too many drugs and too much HIV in it. Oddly, there are clinics that will buy your plasma.
Oh really? Didn't know that.

They still pay for splooge though.
Old 10-25-04, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Otto,

Do you have Ben's email address?
Old 10-25-04, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Underpants gnomes!
Old 10-25-04, 02:28 PM

You could also do flea market type stuff.

Apparently, it is not very hard nor costly to get a small business license. My father did this, and by having his license he has access to vendors/webpages where he can buy items in single quantities or in bulk. I've gone to the vendors website he uses, and he does in fact get some decent discounts on single and bulk items.

He then takes these items to 1 or 2 flea markets on the weekends, sets up for a few hours, and sells them there. He normally makes about $100-$250 profit per weekend, though it always fluctuates.

The trick is to find what it is you want to sell. My father sells Ravens and Orioles related merchandise, with a large emphasis on bobble-heads. Personally, I think bobble-heads are stupid, but apparently I'm the minority, because he cleans house with these things.

Also, are you a sports fan? Do you have a working knowledge of any specific sports? My father-in-law referees girls softball/soccer/basketball and makes about $40 per game (normally 3 games a day), so an easy $120 for 3-4 hours of work. Of course, he has the advantage of:

A) Our local rec. council is HURTING for refs, so they pay decent
B) He's been doing it for years, so he gets the "travel" league games, which pay top dollar.

But even the normal ref'd games pay 15-20 a game, and it's decent exercise running up and down the court/field.

Hope this helped!

P.S.: If you do get a business license, you DO have to charge or pay taxes on your goods. Since he's at a flea market, obviously he doesn't charge his customers tax. He just pays for it at the end out of pocket from his profits. But this will be an added cost for you should you choose to go this way.
Old 10-25-04, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Joem
P.S.: If you do get a business license, you DO have to charge or pay taxes on your goods. Since he's at a flea market, obviously he doesn't charge his customers tax. He just pays for it at the end out of pocket from his profits. But this will be an added cost for you should you choose to go this way.
He pays taxes on what he purchases with his license, or is he also responsible for the taxes on what he sells? If so, how is it monitored?
I've done flea markets from time to time. If they're advertised well, you can make a good profit. However, it can be a pain in the rump finding items at a low enough cost to make it worth your while to sell.
Old 10-25-04, 07:58 PM

Originally posted by Charlie Goose
He pays taxes on what he purchases with his license, or is he also responsible for the taxes on what he sells? If so, how is it monitored?
I've done flea markets from time to time. If they're advertised well, you can make a good profit. However, it can be a pain in the rump finding items at a low enough cost to make it worth your while to sell.
Probably both. Sales tax, is exactly that, tax on what you sell although it is common, almost universal now, to pass this tax on to the customer. This is why the tax rate is always the local tax rate of the seller not the purchaher and you only have to pay if you are selling within your state.

He/You may not have to pay sales tax if you purchase in bulk. There is a tax license specifically for wholsale retailers that only sell to other business. These type of places are exempt from sales tax because the idea is the tax will be collected when you resale the item to a third party. Note that these 'wholesalers' are not required to sell in bulk. They can sell and you can purchase in any quantity as long as you hold a resell license.

As far as regualtion, I am pretty sure it is just like regular taxes. If you only have a resellers license (also called a tax ID), then you are a sole proprietor and your personal tax filing should included everything you have sold and all taxes you need to pay. Honors system...until you get audited.
Old 10-25-04, 11:32 PM

Originally posted by Charlie Goose
The way he explained it to me is that there is apparently a guy that walks around the flea market that randomly spot checks if you have a business license. This guy looks for people that look like "professional flea marketers", and not Joe Blow selling off his yard sale crap. If this person asks you for your license, you have to produce it.

Also, at the end of the day, my father apparently is supposed to declare his sales to someone there, I think. I don't believe he has to pay the 5% (which is MD's sales tax) there, I just think it is logged and sent to the comptroller or whatever.

If you are interested, I can get specifics from him. Right now I'm just trying to recall what he told me when I asked him about it, so I'm a bit fuzzy.

I do know that every time I've hung out with him while he's selling, I've never seen the tax guy, nor has my father declared to anyone his sales. Maybe you can just do it at the end of the year on your taxes? Like I said, I can find out specifics and PM you or post here, if you like.
Old 10-26-04, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Anybody have any experience with Temporary labor kind of jobs? That would be good for me as unfortunately living in between two cities I need a job to be flexible so one day temporary things would be great.
Old 10-26-04, 05:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Any other good places to make extra money?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.