Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone donate their clothing by putting them in those bins in parking lots?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-24-04, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok.. i know the subject is kind of long.. But as the subject says do you? every now and then i clean out some of my clothes and bag them up and put in the clothing collecting bins. My question is let's say i have a nice shirt in there with a big stain or a rip. Does it go to someone to wear or does it just get thrown out?
Old 10-24-04, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

All the time. I only put in clothes that I would expect people to wear. Otherwise I throw them out.

If it has a big stain or rip, just toss it. I volunteer at a homeless shelter. Believe me, they don't want that crap either.
Old 10-24-04, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

so they toss it too? or do they send it out to a poorer nation?

Originally posted by Thor Simpson
All the time. I only put in clothes that I would expect people to wear. Otherwise I throw them out.

If it has a big stain or rip, just toss it. I volunteer at a homeless shelter. Believe me, they don't want that crap either.
Old 10-24-04, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
If it has a stain, rip it and make rags out of it.
Old 10-24-04, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would say it would be thrown out.

I always ask myself "Would I want someone to give me this?" when I'm donating anything.

It takes alot for some people to accept help to start with.

I see no need to add insult to bad situation for anybody. Never know when tables could be turned.
Old 10-24-04, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I have donated some clothes but not as much as I should anymore
Old 10-24-04, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not sure that is fair. My intentions are good.

Originally posted by Just Lurking
I would say it would be thrown out.

I always ask myself "Would I want someone to give me this?" when I'm donating anything.

It takes alot for some people to accept help to start with.

I see no need to add insult to bad situation for anybody. Never know when tables could be turned.
Old 10-24-04, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
I've dropped clothes off at those bins for years. And I never leave anything that's torn or stained, those go in the garbage.
Old 10-24-04, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There is a bin close to me where almost every week it gets packed full and people just start throwing boxes of used clothing next to the dumpster and then a big rain storm rolls in.
Old 10-24-04, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by j123vt_99
Not sure that is fair. My intentions are good.
Not everybodies intentions are good.

Some people are looking for a cheap way to get rid of trash. Why pay for it when I can dump it in the charity bin.

Where do you live that still has charity bins?

They were always by K-Mart's in the midwest. Now that most of K-Mart's are gone, we no longer have charity bins.
Old 10-24-04, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

in Austin... They actually just put a new one at the Academy (sporting goods) right by me. I could easily toss them in the trash, but I figure if someone else can use them, why not...

Originally posted by Just Lurking
Not everybodies intentions are good.

Some people are looking for a cheap way to get rid of trash. Why pay for it when I can dump it in the charity bin.

Where do you live that still has charity bins?

They were always by K-Mart's in the midwest. Now that most of K-Mart's are gone, we no longer have charity bins.
Old 10-24-04, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They have them all over by me. By some schools they have clothing only bins, by Fred Meyers they have a clothing only bin, plus a truck during the day. Also, people put notices on our door every so often and go around picking stuff up.

I throw away the torn/stained clothes, donate the rest. I also got rid of some old furniture (nothing broken, I didn't need it anymore and hated to just toss it).
Old 10-24-04, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've never used the random doantion bins as they appear to be a garbage dump. I've seen all sorts of "donated" items such as true garbage, broken appliances & nasty old mattresses. Come to think of it, I've not seen one of those donation bins for a couple of years now. Maybe they wised up.

I use to take my old (useable) clothing, shoes and other household items to my local Salvation Army a couple of times per year. I'd let the Salvation Army employees & needy families decide what to keep for the needy & what to throw out. I took it all to them.

After I saw a Salvation Army employee pull my old leather jacket from the pile and attempt to hide it for himself, I decided to ask for it all back and have since donated to the Waterfront Rescue Mission. I knew that the truly needy were not getting the best of the items. I could not believe how brazen he was. He did this right in front of me!

Sonicflood
Old 10-24-04, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Done if for years. Have also given bags of clothes to various Goodwill's in the area.
Old 10-25-04, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I always use them for old clothes. It's funny. I live right next to a church and saw this couple looting one a while ago. Gawd, it's crap in there....I'm sure there's better ways to make a buck.
Old 10-25-04, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

We have clothing recycling bins in my neighborhood. I'm not sure exactly what happens to it, but I'm sure that rips don't matter. A stain might, but I'm not sure. I only dropped some things in there once.
Old 10-25-04, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I used to put my donations in the box outside of Wal-Mart or in the box in the parking lot of our downtown shopping district, but now that I've discovered the Freecycle group on Yahoo, I plan on listing what I have to give away and the first person who shows up on my doorstep with outstretched hands will get the clothes. That way I have a better chance of seeing it go to someone who can use it (I ask for no resellers, but I guess I can't know 100% for sure). Same thing with household items. I have a big batch of stuff to put up there soon.
Old 10-25-04, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There's a Goodwill Express very near our house. It's very quick and easy. I've got some stuff in the back of my truck right now as a matter of fact.
Old 10-25-04, 01:45 PM

I recently gave all my black jeans to charity. They were in great condition. They gave them back to me along with a nasty letter that the forum's censorship software would render unreadable. Bottom line is: not even the poor want 'em!
Old 10-25-04, 02:20 PM

I remember seeing an expose once that those "charity" bins are actually a for-profit business. I wouldn't really care though, I just like getting rid of stuff. I have a bunch of bags of clothes in my garage I need to get rid of. I think Purple Heart will pick stuff up.
Old 10-25-04, 02:24 PM
Mod Emeritus

<small>
Originally posted by Groucho
I recently gave all my black jeans to charity. They were in great condition. They gave them back to me along with a nasty letter that the forum's censorship software would render unreadable. Bottom line is: not even the poor want 'em!
</small>I believe that this is the silly Groucho speaking. Where, oh, where is the sensible iteration?

Old 10-25-04, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Clark Howard once stated that he donates his clothes to the Salvation Army. They will dry clean and sell them in their store. He then buys them back for 25-50 cents apiece. He saves on dry cleaning and gets the donation write-off on his taxes.
Old 10-25-04, 04:21 PM

Originally posted by Pistol Pete
Clark Howard once stated that he donates his clothes to the Salvation Army. They will dry clean and sell them in their store. He then buys them back for 25-50 cents apiece. He saves on dry cleaning and gets the donation write-off on his taxes.
There's a variation on this scheme in one of the deleted scenes on the new "Arrested Development" DVD.