Reload this Page >

Any mechanics around here? I need some help

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-23-04, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a serious damn problem, I have a 1991 Dodge Caravan and I can't the Thermostat Housing Bolt out of the Intake Manifold. I've tried heating it up and it won't get hot enough to come out. The bolt broke while I was trying to remove it and I can't get a drill into it to bore it out and I have tried every other thing I can think of, short of buying a whole new Intake Manifold. I was thinking of welding a new peice of bolt on top of the broken one and put a tap on it ti tighten it down, but was unsure if any Welder would be willing to it and how much he might cost, i'm on a budget. So if any Mechanics or Gear-Heads might now of something else I can try please tell me, it's driving me nuts
Old 10-23-04, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
YAAAARRR!

sorry
Old 10-23-04, 10:01 PM

i would try grinding the bolt down flush with the intake then drill using a bit slightly smaller then the bolt and with a screw extracter pull broken bolt out.

or drill same size as bolt and re tap.

make sure your using fresh bits.

if these don't work there's only one other way, i think you should blast.
Old 10-23-04, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd try some Dodge Caravan forums.
Old 10-24-04, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Uhm, go through the rotator splint....you should have a clear path from there.

-pedagogue

ps Good luck. I know next to nothing about cars, outside of changing oil, and fixing a belt or something.
Old 10-24-04, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The best way to do it is to drill the old bolt out. It's a pain in the a$$, and it's risky. First grind the bolt flush with the manifold, then get a thin titanium coated drill bit and drill straight into the bolt. The tricky part is keeping the bit parallel with the bolt and not drill into any part of the engine, which is made of softer metal than the bolt itself. After you've done this, steadily move up in bit size until you get one that is just a tad bit smaller than the bolt itself. Eventually it should all come out. You may have to retap the threads in the end.