what would you do? (2nd thread)

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-22-04, 10:20 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

low limit Sit N Go.

One of the early hands. 2 table SnG. You get QQ. You raise early to 2X the blind. BB goes All In, will leave you with about 80 chips which is dead in the water.

So what would you do?
Old 10-22-04, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did you have any reads on this particular player? Was he playing tight or frequently raising with trash? Does he play aggressively or is he happy to call bets all the way to the river?

Without this information, it's hard to judge. While QQ is a very solid hand, if the guy who went all in only played very few hands he would likely be holding AKs or better (KK or AA). Not a great spot to be in when it will likely cost you all of your chips.
Old 10-22-04, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Seeing that it is early I'd be inclinded to chuck the Q's, then chance running into KK, AA or AK.
Old 10-22-04, 11:36 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by Spy021
Did you have any reads on this particular player? Was he playing tight or frequently raising with trash? Does he play aggressively or is he happy to call bets all the way to the river?

Without this information, it's hard to judge. While QQ is a very solid hand, if the guy who went all in only played very few hands he would likely be holding AKs or better (KK or AA). Not a great spot to be in when it will likely cost you all of your chips.
No reads since it's early on.
Old 10-23-04, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
No reads since it's early on.
As Copenhagen pointed out, since it is an early hand, why risk it with plenty more cards to be played, especially if you feel that your play is more solid that a majority of the table.

That said, because it is a small money tournament, if you do get beat it's not a huge loss and you can quickly get into another one. If the stakes were higher and you had no reads yet, then I would really consider laying it down.
Old 10-23-04, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, preflop thereís only 8 cards that can beat you, so you got 5 to 1 there. Youíre 4 to 1 against any lower pair, and a bit less against suited connectors. 55% against AK. If you do call an overpair, you got a 1 in 4 chance of sucking out. So, thatís [lesee, 5 plus 4 minus 4, carry the oneÖ]

The dudeís got bullets. Better muck.

Seriously, though, if you donít mind rolling the dice, by all means call. That early in the game you donít have any time invested, just the buyin.

Wouldnít be my first choice with anything less than KK. Some players will go allin with a medium pair. Some with any pair. The idea is they can double up early and then coast. (I rarely see them coast, though.) But you still gotta worry about them drawing out and then youíre back posting in the bad beat thread.

Or, he's got you beat.
Old 10-23-04, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I say go all in. Why not take the shot to double up. You are about a 50/50 chance to win, so I'd consider taking that risk to double up and knock someone out at the same time.
Old 10-23-04, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

i call
Old 10-23-04, 01:23 AM
Mod Emeritus

Welp this happened to me tonight. I after a little bit of thinking I called him. He had AK and hit and hit an ace somewhere after going all in to basically knock me out. Last time this happened on the first HAND of the same type of SNG and the guy had Ace-Dick and won.

If it was decent stakes I'd lay it down but for $2 and a chance to go up early I couldn't turn it down.