Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

I hate my credit card company. Who do you use?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-22-04, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a $9000 limit on my credit card from 1st Financial Bank and $5000 on it (the vast majority of which is due to my recent job hunt and move). My interest rate is some ungodly high number like 16.9% even though I have excellent credit (when I got the card in high school, it was the only company that offered me one). Before now, it hasn't been a problem since I pay off my monthly statement easily, but with so much debt all at once I need a better alternative.

CapitalOne keeps sending me mail after mail to get me 8.9% interest. Who do you use?

p.s. I tried to call them today about lowering my interest rate now that I'm out of college and have a full-time job, but got a helpful message that they were only open Monday through Friday, 8am to 5pm CST.
Old 10-22-04, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Capital One Platinum. I'm down to 6.9% fixed. Online payments, downloaded statements, etc. - I like them. Had them for about 8 years.
Old 10-22-04, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Fuck Capital One.. they just jacked up my rate to 14.5% for no reason other than they wanted to (I have excellent credit).. I called to complain and they were so generous to lower it to 12.9% and would 'review again in a couple months'....
I am currently waiting for my new M&T Bank CC to arrive....9.9% with reward points.

There is no rhyme or reason to how CC companies operate... think they just screw a bunch over and see who stays.
Old 10-22-04, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's pretty much it.
Old 10-22-04, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Amazon from Bank One.

I don't know what the rate is....probably alot.

I pay it off every month, so I don't worry about it.

Though on a side note....I had almost a $500 charge on it from a hosting company I did biz with last year. (My card was on file, and they ran it for the next bill)

I thought my balance looked a little high...

-pedagogue
Old 10-22-04, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Another vote for the Amazon card...
Old 10-22-04, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a few...

My best rate is from Bank of America Visa. I got 0% interest for like 6 months and then 4.5% for the balance transfer for the life of the account (providing I don't miss a payment). I don't know what the interest rate on purchases are, because I don't use it.
Old 10-22-04, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

AMEX Blue and Amazon VISA. I don't know the rates since I pay it off every month. I think my old discover is still at 19.99%.
Old 10-22-04, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Citibank Platinum Dividend Mastercard - I have about $1200 on this at 4.9% and get a minimum 1% cashback. At grocery stores and gas stations, it is 5% cashback and at select merchents it varies.
Old 10-22-04, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Capital One - really don't pay attention to the rate, because I've been able to pay off the card every month.

When you finally get through to your current card issuer, tell them what Capital One is offering, and ask the person you're speaking with if they have the authority to match that offer, and if not, ask to be connected with someone who does have the authority. (It would probably be a lot easier to stay with the card you have if they'll match it.)