Reload this Page >

Anyone every play against a poker bot?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-22-04, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think I just did. At a sit n go final table.

Fucking thing was doing the same thing, over, and over, and over.

It preflop raised on about 20 straight hands the exact same amount. There was no variance in betting. All bets against it never reraised, even when they had the best hand when it went to the end. Everything was strictly a call.

Also shady was how quickly it called or folded. Almost the instant that it was that players turn, it was a call or fold.

Very, very suspect. I might contact Pokerstars about it.
Old 10-22-04, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
But did it win?
Old 10-22-04, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You come up with some of the most interesting questions. On a boring day like today, it’s a blessing.

Now, about the bots. No, you’re not playing against a bot.

The guy who puts out the software has a forum with all of 88 registered members. These would be folks who are actively trying to make their bots work. Add a few lurkers, and you have maybe a hundred in all. What’re your chances that you’ll run into one?

From what I’ve seen, it’s a very involved programming process to get the beast to work automatically, which is what I suspect you’re thinking is happening. In it’s basic form, the bot just tells you the odds and such. Maybe more, but what more is there to deal with? Now, I couldn’t program to save my life, so maybe I’m talking outta my ass. But it seems like there are a lot of folks (relatively speaking) who are searching for a way to make the thing work. Take it FWIW.

However, something in your viewpoint’s favor: PS is one of the few sites that the program is supposed to work on. And another: at the limits you’re playing, you’re more likely to see somebody trying to make their bot work.

But, backing up a bit, it’s more likely they’d be tried out in a micro-limit ring game than a SnG.
Old 10-23-04, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk God

So you are saying there's no validity to this article then: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6002298
Old 10-23-04, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Def, did you try to chat with the suspected bot?
Old 10-23-04, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Luddy
Def, did you try to chat with the suspected bot?
Yep. There was not a single peep from said "person".

Obviously they could've had chat turned off, but no matter what Wizdar says, I think I was playing a computer program.

The consistency was so precise, that no person would ever play like that. Even the tightest players move in hard at the pot with strength. This "person" never did once, even with an obvious dominating hand (seeing it after the fact, of course).
Old 10-23-04, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Deftones, Esq
So you are saying there's no validity to this article then: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6002298
That's correct. Of course, I'm being stoopid. I mean, if you read it on the internet, it must be true. I mean, somebody who says he's a high-stakes player -- poker players never exaggerate, do they? And he’s Canadian.

Now, “pretty much a certainty that bots are playing online” doesn’t say anything to contradict my statement. I as much as agreed with that, n’est pas?

So far at PS I've seen 24 different players. I've only seen 5 of them use the chat function. Personally, I consider a lack of response to "nh" to be quite rude, so I must assume that those "rude" players are actually bots.

You believe what you want. You’ve still got that label on your butt.