Reload this Page >

I got a flu shot

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

I got a flu shot

Old 10-21-04, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got a flu shot

And only had to wait about 20 minutes. Considering how rare it is I wish I could of got some more to sell on eBay.
Old 10-21-04, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
Old 10-21-04, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

At least there's no shipping gouging.
Old 10-22-04, 12:14 AM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Are you like 80 years old?
Old 10-22-04, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by X
what he said.

birrman54
Old 10-22-04, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Wouldn't be a shortage if healthy people and not-at-risk people weren't standing in line for them.
Old 10-22-04, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by X
No, I just wanted to be safe.
Old 10-22-04, 12:57 AM
X
Administrator

Not being in one of the "at risk" groups I feel safer not getting the vaccination.
Old 10-22-04, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by PopcornTreeCt
No, I just wanted to be safe.
Safe from what? Unless you are under 2 or over 65 or have some ailment that would put you at a high risk... the flu would just cause you to not feel good and be an inconvienience for awhile.

But something tells me you're trolling to see which people you can get all riled up.
Old 10-22-04, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

actually, it depends on where you go for your doctor. the office i am currently at is a private office and ordered a slew of vaccines. consequently, they have plenty and are vaccinating whoever in their practice they want. why they dont give them or sell them to those who need it, i dont know. maybe they cant.

my poor sister just got horrible looks, too. she is early 30's, healthy, and just got one. as did my 3 yr old nephew (who looks like he is 5). reason being, 3 premature babies at home, 2 of which keep havig chronic illnesses.

so, the moral of the story (although i am not sur eit applies here) is that dont judge those who get the shot, even if they look healthy. they may have a good reason for getting one, as did a previous poster in this thread.
Old 10-22-04, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Around here, the county is giving shots to people who meet very strict criteria (not only age, you must also have certain medical conditions, advanced renal failure being one of them). The thing I liked is that they said that you had to prove that you had the condition to get the shot (prescription bottles), and a note from your doctor saying you needed a shot wasn't good enough.
Old 10-22-04, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well if you all would like my background medical history, I have a weaker immune system than most people so that is why I got the shot. No, I'm not trolling I guess posting this on here wasn't the smartest move.
Old 10-22-04, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk God

I don't trust flu shots. I've never had the flu in my life and I've never got the shot before.
Old 10-22-04, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk God

a waste of a perfectly good shot
Old 10-22-04, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I am a healthy-looking person as are both my kids but all three of us have asthma. So yeah, we got our flu shots this year.
Old 10-22-04, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Bloomfield, NJ only had 300 shots and they had a lottery for who would get them. I heard over 700 people signed up in one day. It was on the Radio here the other day.

My Doctor has always recommended that I get one each year due to my medical conditions but this year he was unable to get any so I'm SOL.

My office usually has someone come in to administer the Flu Shot to anyone in the company that wants one but this year, due to the shortage, had to cancel it.

I'm on my own this year I guess...
Old 10-22-04, 12:01 PM

Old 10-22-04, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Kerry doesn't want your vote any more.

Edit: Oh, I just heard that he does.

Last edited by Th0r S1mpson; 10-22-04 at 12:41 PM.
Old 10-22-04, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For god's sake think of the children!!
Old 10-22-04, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Kittydreamer
I am a healthy-looking person as are both my kids but all three of us have asthma. So yeah, we got our flu shots this year.
OK, here is how my county is doing it. They have 10,000 shots (county of 150,000 or so), they will be giving shots to those defined as being at the highest risk (which includes asthma).

…Those at highest risk are defined as:

1. Children 6 months to 18 years of age who are on chronic aspirin therapy or have cystic fibrosis;
2. Children 6 months to 23 months who attend daycare or have chronic illness; and
3. Adults 65 years of age who have chronic illness.
Chronic illness includes people who are currently taking immunosuppressant drugs or are diagnosed with any of the following:

1. chronic obstructive pulmonary disease;
2. asthma;
3. congestive heart failure; or
4. end stage renal disease

People who are in these high risk groups must bring a current prescription or medicine bottle with label which confirms their eligibility as defined above for the flu shot. Springfield and Sangamon County residents who do not provide this confirmation of their high risk status will be denied the vaccination. Although your physician may have provided an order for the flu vaccine, if you do not fall into the Phase 1 criteria, you will not be immunized at this time.
The bolded part is what I thought was neat. So no, you can’t pressure your doctor into giving you letter saying you need a shot, in order to get a shot.
Old 10-22-04, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The government need to take responsibility for this. Why depend on some half-assed supplier in another country?
Old 10-22-04, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

what about hospital workers? should they get one?
Old 10-22-04, 12:51 PM
X
Administrator

Originally posted by Mammal
The government need to take responsibility for this. Why depend on some half-assed supplier in another country?
Because nobody in the U.S. wants to supply it due to the unfavorable business environment here, including lawsuits. Congress did take a stab at tort reform but it got nowhere. Guess who stopped it?
Lawsuits and Liability

Only three companies in the U.S. are licensed to produce the flu vaccine: Aventis Pasteur (Fluzone), Chiron Corp. (Fluvirin), and MedImmune Inc. (the nasal spray FluMist). If more companies made the vaccines, it is unlikely the supply would have been so short, or that more doses could not have been made on short notice. Why so few?

The number of vaccine manufacturers in the U.S. has dropped from 20 to only three during the past 15 years largely as a result of lawsuits filed on behalf of supposed victims of vaccine side effects. Vaccine makers have been under nearly constant legal assault by lawyers.

Most recently, personal injury lawyers have filed lawsuits against the maker of Thimerosal, a vaccine preservative that contains mercury, claiming the compound is responsible for the recent rise in cases of autism. However, researchers have studied repeatedly the possibility of a link and have found no evidence.

According to legal expert Peter Huber, 50 to 80 percent of the cost of most vaccines is liability insurance. The risk of losing such cases, and especially the risk of losing a class-action suit that could cost the industry hundreds of millions or even billions of dollars, has persuaded many companies to leave the vaccine marketplace.

The biotechnology industry has made it clear that the threat of lawsuits is keeping it from investing in new vaccines and medicines to meet the threat of bioterrorism, such as the deliberate spread of smallpox and anthrax. In a November 2002 letter to Sen. Tom Daschle (D-South Dakota), the president of the Biotechnology Industry Organization (BIO), Carl B. Feldbaum, wrote, “Without a clear understanding of liability protection, most of our companies, particularly the smaller, innovative companies, will be unable to contract to provide preventive therapeutics or products if it means putting the future of their businesses at risk.”

The second lesson from the vaccine shortage, then, is that until lawsuit abuse is checked, drug companies will not take the necessary risks involved with producing a sufficient supply of vaccines, much less invest in finding the next generation of life-saving vaccines.

http://www.heartland.org/Article.cfm?artId=14301
Old 10-22-04, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just posted a lot of information in this thread so please read it. http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...5&pagenumber=3

Also keep in mind that there is a limited shelf life so some areas that already vaccinated their priorities may have some extra for other people. It is better that someone gets it instead of throwing it away. Besides where were all these people three years ago when we had to throw millions of doses away?

I got mine and I am young but that is because I have diabetes. Also this was at a grocery store BEFORE all the hysteria so there was NO WAIT and they didn't have to verify my condition. It was plentiful at that time so they were vaccinating a lot of different people some who were not indicated.

And I whole hartedly agree that if it weren't for all the lawsuits and unused vaccine that we wouldn't have this problem since more companies would make it. Unfortunately the flu vaccine is not a big money maker so all these factors make a big difference.
Old 10-22-04, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Deftones, Esq
I don't trust flu shots. I've never had the flu in my life and I've never got the shot before.

true 'dat.....

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.