Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Isn't this Flu shot crap getting out of hand?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-21-04, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I generally get one, but for no real reason. I do it because I show up to a store where they are doing them, so like the other sheep I hop in line.

Okay, for the most part, people have never worried about a fickin' flu shot before. But now I know people who have never had them in their lives who are freaked out becuase they can't get one.

This is seriously stupid and out of control. Absolutely insane.
Old 10-21-04, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This happens with me and DVDs a lot. When I hear there is something in really short supply (or recalled), I get obsessed with trying to get it. Once I have it, a lot of times I still can't figure out why I really wanted it other than just to have it.

Flu shots on the other hand? M'eh. I never get the flu anyway.
Old 10-21-04, 11:29 AM
Banned

There are people out there who don't take good care of themselves and get the flu all the time.

What gets me is the priority structure. Unhealthy older folks who don't get out much need the shot more than younger folks who have to go out in public every day?
Old 10-21-04, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've never had a flu shot.....
Old 10-21-04, 11:34 AM

I look at it as a challenge. I'm young and healthy. Never had the flu, never got the shot. But this year it's hard to get that I'm collecting them. Gotten five so far, four at grocery stores, one at a free clinic.
Old 10-21-04, 11:35 AM

Completely overhyped IMHO, considering we don't even know yet if the vaccine is the right "type" for this season's flu strain. I understand why some people get them but personally I've never bothered and I think I've had the flu maybe twice in my life.
Old 10-21-04, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Minor Threat
I've never had a flu shot.....
ditto

Originally posted by Groucho
I look at it as a challenge. I'm young and healthy. Never had the flu, never got the shot. But this year it's hard to get that I'm collecting them. Gotten five so far, four at grocery stores, one at a free clinic.
Old 10-21-04, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I said this in the election forum last week. I don't understand the need for a regular healthy person age 10-60 to get a flu shot. My father, a doctor, concurs.
Old 10-21-04, 11:46 AM

The sickest I've ever been in my life was, ironically, right after I had a flu shot. I was so delirious for 2 days I was still trying to make myself go to school... at 9pm... on a Saturday.

Since then I've never gotten another and have never been close to sick as I was then.
Old 10-21-04, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've never had a flu shot. I haven't had the flu since I was a little kid. I don't see what the big deal is.
Old 10-21-04, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have moderate asthma as do both my kids so we have to get a flu shot each season. When I went to get mine, it was me and 15 million old people glaring at me.
Old 10-21-04, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

you're just pissed that you didn't win the flu shot lottery.
Old 10-21-04, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

All I know is that Bush is to blame.
Old 10-21-04, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

We're all going to die of the flu!!!! It's going to be like The Stand!!!! It's all Bush's fault!!!!

I never used to get them. The last couple of years, I happened to be at the doctor's office in the fall and he asked me if I wanted a flu shot. I asked if I should get one, and he said "Sure, why not?" so I got one. This year, I'm not planning to get one, what with the shortage and all.
Old 10-21-04, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Some years back, I spent an entire winter sick as a dog. From October through March, I think I was healthy maybe 4 weeks total. I had the flu TWICE during that period. After that I started getting the flu shot every year and didn't even have so much as a cold that entire time. I've been lazy the last two years and never got around to a flu shot, but fortunately I haven't been too sick. I guess I won't be getting one this year either.
Old 10-21-04, 12:01 PM
Banned

I don't know anybody freaked out that they can't get one, but I think media hype is a bit overboard on this one.

Chalk me up as never had a flu shot, never had the flu, no plans to get one.

kvrdave: Stop getting the flu shots. You know that's how they get the mind control chips into you, don't you?
Old 10-21-04, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I've never gotten a flu shot either. First of all, I could never ask to be poked with a needle without a damn good reason (for example, my head was just amputated, that'd be a good reason). Second, I figure if somehow I do get the flu, then I get paid to stay home from work and watch DVDs all day without using vacation time.
Old 10-21-04, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

But this year it's hard to get that I'm collecting them. Gotten five so far,
But were they Criterion?
Old 10-21-04, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Otto
I don't know anybody freaked out that they can't get one, but I think media hype is a bit overboard on this one.
Media Hype? Surely you jest.
Old 10-21-04, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, it is. Too many regular people get the flu shot. Those that need it, fine. But others...no need. It's like mass hysteria or something. I've never gotten the flu shot. Never needed it.
Old 10-21-04, 12:25 PM

You are totally selfish! Think of all the dead grandmothers.

Chris
Old 10-21-04, 12:32 PM

Originally posted by mrpayroll
Think of all the dead grandmothers.

Chris
I knew they could vote, but they need flu shots as well.... this whole death thing is far more complicated than I was led to believe.

Old 10-21-04, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i got the flu shot when i was in school and it was convenient...i didnt notice a difference. i'd still get sick once a winter with a cold, maybe the flu since i had a temparature but never that bad
Old 10-21-04, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by cardaway
What gets me is the priority structure. Unhealthy older folks who don't get out much need the shot more than younger folks who have to go out in public every day?
90% of the people who died of the flu in the twentieth century were 60 and over...that's why they have priority
Old 10-21-04, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Charlie Goose
Some years back, I spent an entire winter sick as a dog. From October through March, I think I was healthy maybe 4 weeks total. I had the flu TWICE during that period. After that I started getting the flu shot every year and didn't even have so much as a cold that entire time. I've been lazy the last two years and never got around to a flu shot, but fortunately I haven't been too sick. I guess I won't be getting one this year either.
I had the exact same problem back in '93. It started out as the flu, then went into pnemonia. I lost my voice and had a fever of 103 for three weeks off and on. I had no health insurance and was on winter lay-off so things really sucked for me.

I was just curious as to when you were so ill, too.

Btw, what saved my butt is a friend brought me a bunch of herbal goo and nursed me back to health.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.