Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for hotels / cabins at WHISTLER?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-20-04, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

I am planning to go to Whistler Thanksgiving break - does anyone the best bang-for-the-dollar cabins or hotels over there?

There will probably be a group of 6 people going.

We would like to be close to the lifts, shopping, and clubs.

Thank you in advance
Old 10-21-04, 04:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Although not inexpensive, the Westin is literally at the base of the lifts and at the entrance to the village. It's beautiful there, and the Aubergine Grille is killer.
Old 10-21-04, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have no recommendations, just came in to the thread to express my jealousy that you're going to Whistler and I'm not....

Old 10-21-04, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I forgot the name.. and I didn't book it so I can't really help you, but if there are 6 of you staying for more than 2 nights, we got a 2-bedroom suite/apartment witha full kitchen that was somewhere toward the middle/away from the lifts. Right on top of some of the shops. The bars and clubs are all spread throughout the village, but from one end to the other is only a 5-10 minute walk with your equipment. Everything is within a couple minutes walk so location isn't much of an issue. It was great deal
Old 10-21-04, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well you'd probably be best in Village North and steer clear of Creekside or Blackcomb side. I normally stay at the Summit Lodge, but they don't go bigger than a 1 bedroom. You could try seeing what's available on alluradirect through private owners of condos, or I can give you the name and number of the guy who I used to book though. He might be able to steer you in the right direction.
Old 10-21-04, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the tips guys - the trip got pushed back to MLK weekend, so we have more time to plan and scope out our options.

Svadas, why stay clear of blackcomb and/or creekside? Too crowded? Bad restaurants? Ugly chicks?

thanks
Old 10-21-04, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by LurkerDan
I have no recommendations, just came in to the thread to express my jealousy that you're going to Whistler and I'm not....

I am too. For New Years.
Old 10-21-04, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The collection of Whislter Village and Village North is where all the shops and restaurants are. Blackcomb does not really have much and is a walk back over to the main area. Creekside is getting more stuff, but aside from a few restaurants you are isolated and A LONG way to the main village. A lot of Blackcomb places might boast ski in/ski out, but it only to a small chairlift on Blackcomb. The gondola's for both Blackcomb and Whistler are right next to each other at the base of Whistler. The Westin that someone mentioned is mega expensive and not worth it in my opinion. The main village is quite large and I would not want to carry my ski's around. The good places will have a private shuttle bus to take you right there, and there is a free looping bus too. The farther you get away from the base, the cheaper everything is. This is a really big place and until you get there and see it for yourself, it hard to express the size. There are lodging places up to 10 miles from the lifts and it's still considered Whistler lodging. Bring a raincoat too as it's almost always raining in the village. Be ready to fight in the lift lines as the Brits don't seem to know the rules and rush for the front regardless of who is in front of them. Village North is best place to be if you want to watch your wallet (somewhat, it's still pretty expensive as you are in the main area). Let me know if you have any other questions, I'm pretty familiar with the area. You can get half price lift tickets at the 7/11 in Squamish too.
Old 10-22-04, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

the cheapest place we found a few years ago was Blackcomb lodge. It was right in the middle of the square with a board shop called Affinity in the lobby and a liquor, drug, and grocery store about 50 feet away.