30%+ Of US Muslims Say War On Iraq Is War On Islam

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-20-04, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.washtimes.com/national/20...5241-3792r.htm

More than one-third of American Muslims believe that the U.S. war on terrorism is really a war on Islam, according to survey information released yesterday by researchers at Georgetown University.

Thirty-eight percent of American Muslims polled said they believe the U.S.-led invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq, and the tensions with Iran and Syria, reflect a foreign policy that is targeting Islamic countries and Muslims themselves.

An additional 33 percent of Muslims interviewed said they believe the United States is fighting a war on terrorism, and 29 percent said they were not sure.

The telephone survey of 1,846 randomly chosen Muslims was conducted in August and September by Zogby International for the Project on Muslims in the American Public Square, a project run out of Georgetown's Center for Muslim-Christian Understanding.

The poll follows up a study conducted two months after the September 11 attacks, which found that 67 percent of American Muslims believed that the United States was fighting a war on terror. An additional 18 percent of Muslims said the U.S. war was against Islam, and 16 percent said they were not sure.

Survey director Zahid Bukhari said that negative comments about Islam since 2001 by evangelical Christian leaders such as the Revs. Pat Robertson, Jerry Falwell and Franklin Graham, and the White House's close association with these leaders, has added to the perception of a war on Islam, despite President Bush's remarks that Islam is a religion of peace.

Still, Mr. Bukhari said, American Muslims are considering this issue more carefully than their religious counterparts in the Middle East, where most consider the United States to be waging a war against Islam.

American Muslims "are becoming more objective, more mature, instead of [engaging in] Muslim world behavior. The Muslim world is very emotional," he said. American Muslims "are responding that they should be more involved in society."

The survey also found that 63 percent of American Muslims are dissatisfied with "the way things are going in American society today." That question was not asked in 2001.

There were minor increases from the 2001 survey in the number of Muslims registered to vote and likely to vote. Eighty-two percent of Muslims said they were registered, compared with 79 percent in 2001. Among those registered, 95 percent said they were likely to vote, compared with 94 percent in 2001.

The poll found that Muslims solidly support Democratic Sen. John Kerry for president, though they had strongly backed Mr. Bush in the 2000 election.

Because of the USA Patriot Act and concerns over civil liberties, researchers said, 76 percent of Muslims are voting for Mr. Kerry, compared with 7 percent for Mr. Bush. The 2001 survey found that 42 percent of American Muslims voted for Mr. Bush in 2000, and 31 percent voted for Vice President Al Gore.

However, the self-reports on voting in 2000 were reversed in the 2004 survey. In the more recent poll, 38 percent of respondents said they had voted for Mr. Gore, and 27 percent said they had voted for Mr. Bush.

---

The 2nd Civil War is a bruin'...

I wonder when the first vehicular bomb destined for the White House will occur.
Old 10-20-04, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Count my father as one American Muslim who went from strong Bush-supporter to Kerry-voter. He doesn't think Bush is pursuing a war on Islam; he simply thinks like I do - that the war in Iraq was an extremely bad idea from an interventionist standpoint.

edit: oh and he has more reason to be pissed off at SH than almost every American.

Last edited by Red Dog; 10-20-04 at 04:51 PM.
Old 10-20-04, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess doing everything possible not to distrub mosques even when terrorists hide in them is making war on Islam. If it wasnt for radical Islam there would be no terrorists or this war. Maybe they need to stop radical Islam instead of blaming the US for every damn thing that goes wrong in their lives.
Old 10-20-04, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Like voting for Kerry is going to change anything? The only difference is you have potential for another cigar fanatic in the White House.

I think too many people are viewing Kerry as the Band-Aid to our current problems. But of course, that's the American Way. Find a quick solution, go in denial, then go in hiding for another 4 years.
Old 10-20-04, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
exactly.
if we were having a war on islam those people wouldn't be free on the street to make their claims

Originally posted by Mopower
I guess doing everything possible not to distrub mosques even when terrorists hide in them is making war on Islam. If it wasnt for radical Islam there would be no terrorists or this war. Maybe they need to stop radical Islam instead of blaming the US for every damn thing that goes wrong in their lives.
Old 10-20-04, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk God

SHOCKING!!!

Blow 'em up.
Old 10-20-04, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

notice how the whole "war on Islam" does not deter them from living here..
If they really feel america is at war with Islam.... then GTF out!
why would you live in a country that is trying to destroy you..
Old 10-20-04, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If we were at war with Islam, we'd have troops in Mecca, not Bagdhad.
Old 10-20-04, 07:52 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

If we were at war with Islam, we'd have troops in Mecca, not Bagdhad.
We were this close to nuking Mecca.
Old 10-20-04, 08:19 PM
Premium Member

or

66% dont believe War On Iraq Is War On Islam - right?
Old 10-20-04, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Kerry has John Ashcroft to thank for alot of the Muslim Vote he'll be getting if you ask me. It's not just the war in Iraq, the 5,000 detainees had a psychological affect on the community, definitely.
Old 10-20-04, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

bfrank,

...or 94.6% of Americans have jobs so why is there a problem with getting a job, right?
Old 10-20-04, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

theneobez,

Well, ANYONE had a leg up going into this Presidential debate. All you have to do is say what Bush is doing wrong and you're instantly a candidate for the next 4 years. What's scary, is that people are actually falling for this type of campaigning.
Old 10-20-04, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
[sarcasm] Huh? I thought Dubya was in bed with the Saudis. [/sarcasm]
Old 10-20-04, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Heh, I'm sure 30% of hard core christians think the war on Iraq is a war on Islam.
Old 10-21-04, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

And here I thought it was a war on intolerant, extremist asshats. Go figure.
Old 10-21-04, 09:41 AM
Suspended

Location: Now in the Mojave desert...but still, thankfully, outside Los Angeles
Originally posted by Mutley Hyde
And here I thought it was a war on intolerant, extremist asshats. Go figure.
No no. The upcoming election is to get rid of the incumbent intolerant extremist asshats.
Old 10-21-04, 09:48 AM
Banned

Maybe if the Bush hadn't seized every opportunity to quote the bible, or say he is directed by the Christian God, it would be easier to believe that there isn't an element of religion vs. religion involved.

Personally I believe the element exists, and it's larger than some would like to believe.
Old 10-21-04, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

like others said, if they really thought this country was fighting Islam, why would they continue to live here?
Old 10-21-04, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by cardaway
Maybe if the Bush hadn't seized every opportunity to quote the bible, or say he is directed by the Christian God, it would be easier to believe that there isn't an element of religion vs. religion involved.

Personally I believe the element exists, and it's larger than some would like to believe.
every oppotunity?

Kerry says he is directed by the Christian God too. I guess whoever thinks this is going on is gonna be screwed atleast for the next 4 years
Old 10-21-04, 10:10 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Venusian
every oppotunity?

Kerry says he is directed by the Christian God too. I guess whoever thinks this is going on is gonna be screwed atleast for the next 4 years
I should have said every opportunity when addressing the terrorism issue. He has done nothing but pump up the holy war element IMO.

I have not seen Kerry quote the bible in regards to the war or allude to God directing him to go to war.
Old 10-21-04, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I should have said every opportunity when addressing the terrorism issue. He has done nothing but pump up the holy war element IMO.

I have not seen Kerry quote the bible in regards to the war or allude to God directing him to go to war.
Even there, you're pretty much, well, how do I say this... wrong.
Old 10-21-04, 10:18 AM
Banned

Originally posted by waveform
No no. The upcoming election is to get rid of the incumbent intolerant extremist asshats.
Yup.
Old 10-21-04, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

well i'm sure he has address terrorism and the war numerous times during the campaign, right? can you give me links or quotes in the last 3 months that back up your statement?
Old 10-21-04, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Its not even........ its all ignorant people.... come on..... If it was war on Islam, you would have seen your asses back to your country. But its not.... gosh.... the people who say that about america are no worse then the terrorists that are saying it......

You cant believe that

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.